F/A TERMINATIONS FOR ATTENDANCE

I don't know what world you are living in, but it is difficult to fire a union employee. In over 20 years I can count on two hands those that have been fired. Of those at least half of them got there jobs back, a few with back pay. There termination reasons, were stealing, violence against another employee, attendance and drug use. Drug use no longer gets you fired on the first offense...and the other reasons were all fought successfully. It would not happen in a nonunion group.

Well, I found out today from the fa who had this happen to her and the company has violated 3 articles in the CBA when they terminated her for attendance. So, even know with her illness and yes she can perform all functions of the flight attendant job with it, she is going to get her job back.

jim...

Although we have never met, the ADA section the covers her illness will get her job back. The company was required by law to accommodate her in reducing her absenteeism and they did not do it. So, that alone will get the company in trouble. The companies legal team may not be all that, since they didn't know this was under the ADA.

This case will set precedence for anyone in the company who has the same illness as she does.

I was a shop steward and rep for the IAM at US for M&R plenty of people have gotten fired.

I don't know what world you are living in, but it is difficult to fire a union employee. In over 20 years I can count on two hands those that have been fired. Of those at least half of them got there jobs back, a few with back pay. There termination reasons, were stealing, violence against another employee, attendance and drug use. Drug use no longer gets you fired on the first offense...and the other reasons were all fought succesfully. It would not happen in a nonunion group.

Drug use when discovered through random drug tests should not be grounds for firing. Arpey could be doing lines off his desk for all we know. Random Drug testing isnt for whether or not someone's under the influence at work, which is a reason for termination, it's to see what they do they they do even when they are not at work. If someone goes on Vacation and smokes pot while on vacation where its legal to do so they should not lose their job for that. If the unions were strong they would not allow random drug testing its a violation of our right to privacy.

Have you ever worked a Non-union job? I have and I've seen pretty much all those types of behaviour swept under the rug if they like the guy.

Drug use when discovered through random drug tests should not be grounds for firing. Arpey could be doing lines off his desk for all we know. Random Drug testing isnt for whether or not someone's under the influence at work, which is a reason for termination, it's to see what they do they they do even when they are not at work. If someone goes on Vacation and smokes pot while on vacation where its legal to do so they should not lose their job for that. If the unions were strong they would not allow random drug testing its a violation of our right to privacy.

Have you ever worked a Non-union job? I have and I've seen pretty much all those types of behaviour swept under the rug if they like the guy.

If the unions were strong they would not allow random drug testing its a violation of our right to privacy.

Oh? And, what should the unions say to the FAA which requires random drug tests for uniformed crew members? And, requires reporting of the results to them? Do enlighten us on the proper union words to use when telling the FAA to go mind its own business (which to their minds is what they are doing when they require drug test--minding their own business of making air travel as safe as possible).

By the way, should a f/a refuse to take a random test, it is treated as if the test came back positive for illegal drugs, and is grounds for an automatic termination. A supervisor is usually called in to try to convince the f/a to take the test. A continued refusal to take the test is followed by the supervisor giving the f/a direct instruction to take the test. If he/she still refuse, it is then considered insubordination. Insubordination is also automatic termination. A termination for insubordination is almost always upheld in arbitration.

Should the f/a actually test positive and it is a first offense, it is still an automatic termination. But, if the f/a willingly goes to a treatment facility and then tests negative, he/she can get their job back...ONCE. Any future positive test is permanent termination. With the FAA, it is two strikes and you are out...permanently.

If someone goes on Vacation and smokes pot while on vacation where its legal to do so

Good luck fighting that one. I guess if you can show a reciept from AMS you might have a chance, but if your certificate gets pulled, is it really worth a couple hours of being stoned?...