Flight Attendant Threatened with Termination for Parody

I'd be willing to bet that although his non-rev pass has been suspended, he's likely traveling on another employees pass, on another carrier. Doesn't surprise me there is a lot of abuse of sick policy, I heard of an international FA bragging that she hasn't flown since May 2011 and just recently retired.

Josh
Just to use facts, if his passes were suspended, then you can NOT use someone elses passes or travel on another carrier unless you purchase a ticket. Which AA can not stop you from buying a ticket on another carrier. Same if you are married to an employee and get fired, you can NOT use your spouses passes, ever again. Now you think some rumor of a story you heard second hand, maybe third hand, is fact. Nice.

True that you're not supposed to fly on your spouse or partner's passes while on a SLOA, but I'm not so certain about the part of being prohibited from spouse/partner privileges after termination, unless perhaps it is done on a case specific basis due to pass abuse or misconduct....

Here you go Eric, straight from the TRIP book.

Travel Privileges on Termination

If you are discharged for misconduct, you will permanently lose all travel privileges for yourself, family members, Company-recognized Domestic Partner (DP), Registered Companion (RC), and friends. This policy also applies to any employee who is allowed to resign in lieu of discharge for misconduct.

Permanent loss of travel privileges includes any travel that the former employee might be able to receive from an employee or retiree of the Company. Additionally, employees terminated for misconduct will not be eligible for travel privileges through their spouse or Company-recognized DP or other relatives who work for the Company. Employees who provide travel privileges to a former employee who has had his or her travel privileges permanently revoked may have their travel privileges suspended or revoked as well.

Regardless of company seniority, if you are involuntarily terminated (except for misconduct), you may be issued a one-way Space Available (SA) pass for yourself, your spouse or Company-recognized DP, RC, and dependent family members to the city of permanent residence. Such travel must be completed within 30 days of your last day worked.

Note: The date of issuance of the above passes must be on or before the last day worked (last day available for flight duty in the case of Flight Attendants), and the validity of the pass must not be later than 30 days from the date of issuance.

Travel Privileges on Suspension

If you are suspended for an infraction of Company rules or regulations, or held out of service pending investigation, you and your guest travelers are not allowed to use pass or reduced-rate travel, except for eligible personal emergency travel authorized by your Manager. This includes any travel that might otherwise be available because of your current or future relationship to another airline employee, retiree, or friend.

Additionally, you will not be eligible for travel privileges through your spouse or Company-recognized Domestic Partner (DP) or other relatives who may work for the Company. Employees who provide travel privileges to an employee who has had his or her travel privileges revoked, may have their travel privileges suspended or revoked as well.

I helped write the TRIP book back when it was still a print copy.... Language hasn't changed much except for domestic partners and registered companions, which didn't exist in 1995 or whenever that first came out...

The key qualifier there is misconduct, which was a pretty specific term related to behavior onboard or at an airport as a nonrev or even as a customer.

The restriction doesn't apply to other terminations. My wife was technically terminated when her job was eliminated, but received a spouse card when her A11 card expired. If you're fired for performance or attendance, or even something a little more severe like fighting or failing a drug test, it's still not what I'd label as misconduct.

Maybe someone can look for a definition of misconduct on Jetnet or in the EPG...

[Flight attendant launches petition drive to replace American Airlines executives By Terry Maxon/Reporter] "Gailen David, the Florida-based flight attendant who appears to have upset management with his video parodies, has started a petition drive calling for the replacement of top American Airlines executives.

And he's got backing from Kate Hanni, the California resident who started FlyersRights.org after she and her family were stuck on an American jet five years ago.

"We proudly support the efforts of the flight attendants to return dignity to the skies by overturning this failed management in favor of management that will understand and care for their employees...which in turn will be a good thing for the flying public," Hanni confirmed in an email Friday evening.

The "sAAve American Airlines" petition at change.org is seeking 250,000 signatures calling on U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Sean Lane to replace the carrier's top management. The effort, just launched, had 520 signers as of about 6:30 p.m. Friday. We'll see over the weekend if it catches fire..." Full text: Flight Attendant Launches Petition Drive to Replace AA Executives

Related:

[American Airlines' AMR posts $1.1 billion 4Q loss By DAVID KOENIG] "DALLAS, AMR Corp., the parent of American Airlines, said Wednesday that it lost $1.1 billion in the fourth quarter as it wrote down the value of planes and other property and paid more for jet fuel.

The company, which filed for bankruptcy protection in November, said that the results compared with a loss of $97 million a year earlier, when AMR still hoped to avoid bankruptcy by cutting costs.

The most recent loss included $768 million in special items, including $725 million from write-downs of aircraft that the company had announced two weeks ago. It also took a $43 million hit as it changed assumptions on recognition of revenue in its frequent-flier program.

Excluding special items, AMR said it would have lost $209 million, compared to an after-items loss of $69 million a year ago.

American is the nation's third-biggest airline, and it has presented a business-as-usual face since becoming the latest in a long string of U.S. airlines to file for bankruptcy protection. Even though it is still losing money, the airline is benefiting from higher ticket prices and decent demand for travel..." Full text: American Airlines' AMR posts $1.1 billion 4Q loss

2184 signatures when I checked just now. I'd guess it may get to a max of around 50,000 signatures, based on some of the other petitions there which focus on more important issues people actually care about....

Top 5 petitions of all time:
Create Caylee's Law = 1,301,307 signatures
Apple: Protect Workers Making iPhones in Chinese Factories = 223,486 signatures
Demand Facebook Remove Pages That Promote Sexual Violence = 196,946 signatures
End abuse of Autistic students in Mercer County, Kentucky = 189,987 signatures
Reverse decision to try 12 y/o Cristian Fernandez as an adult = 180,447 signatures

Top 5 petitions of all time...
Most helpful. :huh:

We received an update from APFA today. I was encouraged to know that we have Roy Everett on our side in the negotiations.

Love him! :) I was the last in seniority due to age in my class. The last slot of BOS was supposed to be filled--by me.

I mentioned to Mr. Everett then, 20 some years ago, that I was really bummed to be headed to BOS. <_< I wanted to go to NYC. :(

He said, “You want LGA?! :rolleyes: Well, we’ll just have to change that.” The next day my name was on the list with LGA next to it. For most, this would be horrifying. But I was very pleased—and so grateful to Mr. Everett. :D

Maybe the APFA and the company will work this thing out—especially with Mr. Everett at the helm. :lol:

Reactions: 1 person
The poor guy got fired. :eek: I do not support what he did. In fact, I think it was stupid. But, I do support his freedom of speech.

Should the APFA fight legally for him to get his job back? I say yes. They should represent him--even if he's a bonehead. :rolleyes:

The poor guy got fired. :eek: I do not support what he did. In fact, I think it was stupid. But, I do support his freedom of speech.

Should the APFA fight legally for him to get his job back? I say yes. They should represent him--even if he's a bonehead. :rolleyes:
I'm sure you've heard this before, but the First Amendment Freedom of Speech protection prohibits governments from restricting your speech, not private employers. If he worked for the government, his employer could not infringe on his freedom of speech. No such protection exists if you criticize your private business employer in violation of the employer's rules. Apparently, he broke some rules (and he mistakenly thinks he has freedom of speech).

The poor guy got fired.

Save your sympathy for someone who truly didn't know they crossed a line or didn't intentionally do so, i.e. a probationary who blew a slide or caused a delay. Don't waste it on people who fire themselves thru their own arrogence or ignorance.

One less layoff is how I'd look at it.

Save your sympathy for someone who truly didn't know they crossed a line or didn't intentionally do so, i.e. a probationary who blew a slide or caused a delay. Don't waste it on people who fire themselves thru their own arrogence or ignorance.

One less layoff is how I'd look at it.

I agree while the videos are funny. Am sure that he did cross the line using
AA logos and trademark in some of the videos. He just saved one of
the 2300 f/a's job that the company said will be eliminated.
I also think that he has his own agenda going on.

I like the fact that he exposed management for their greed, incompetence and arrogance....especially bumping upgrades with positive first class space passes to go to ski week.

I like the fact that he exposed management for their greed, incompetence and arrogance....especially bumping upgrades with positive first class space passes to go to ski week.

I agree and there is no question about that.
But it do think he has his own peronal agenda
going on here. It seems like he is looking for
publicity more than anything else.

I agree while the videos are funny. Am sure that he did cross the line using AA logos and trademark in some of the videos.
That's for sure. :rolleyes:

He just saved one of the 2300 f/a's job that the company said will be eliminated...
But APFA will spend a lot of money fighting this legally. They say they are on his side.

Should union dues be used for this purpose? Or throw him under the bus? :huh: