F100 Retirement/ Tw Md-80's

TAN 767 300

Aug 24, 2002
Last week I flew thru the STL hub, and have another round trip in Sept. with a cnxn there also. My question to someone in AA is this....with the drawdown at STL later this fall, will some/many/all of the ex-TWA MD-80's be shifted over to AA to expedite the retirement of the F100's?

Also, why in the world did someone decide to make DFW-CLE a CRJ route? Will this be brought back to MD-80 status when STL downsizes?

Our company recently opened a new facility in Cleveland and I will be making frequent trips there over the next year or so.

Thanks!

TAN 767 300 said:
Last week I flew thru the STL hub, and have another round trip in Sept. with a cnxn there also. My question to someone in AA is this....with the drawdown at STL later this fall, will some/many/all of the ex-TWA MD-80's be shifted over to AA to expedite the retirement of the F100's?

Also, why in the world did someone decide to make DFW-CLE a CRJ route? Will this be brought back to MD-80 status when STL downsizes?

Our company recently opened a new facility in Cleveland and I will be making frequent trips there over the next year or so.

Thanks!

At TUL, the TWA MD-80's are being converted to AA specs. 1 year project

TAN 767 300 said:
I don't have the time to do an extensive research of prior posts, on this and other boards; however, my vague recollection is that only about 32 MD80s will be flying under the TWA LLC certificate by the end of 2003 and the operating certificate will be surrendered in the summer of 2004.

With the exception of the 28, or so, TWA MD80s which have been taken out of service, pending better days, the rest of the 103 former TWA MD80s currently are or soon will be flying under the AA operating certificate.

TWAnr said:
With the exception of the 28, or so, TWA MD80s which have been taken out of service, pending better days, the rest of the 103 former TWA MD80s currently are or soon will be flying under the AA operating certificate.

I sure wish the former TWA employees were flying with thier former equipment.

Wasen't that the purpose of the fences? Or were the fences just an illusion to satisfy TWAers that they really had a home in STL? The "home" being just another illusion or should I say delusion foisted upon them by AA unions that they really were "protected" as long as they stayed in STL.

You are the one who said you'd be happy to see them gone. You seem incapable of empathy for others. Since this was a horrible injustice, I fully support the TWAers in their efforts to obtain justice or whatever the courts or an arbitrator may decide.

TAN 767 300:

From what I've seen so far, it doesn't look like mainline will return to the CLE-DFW route at the time of the STL downsizing. However, American will bring mainline to their CLE-ORD route, which should be a good trade-off. It looks like AA will takeover 3 RJ flights with MD-80s.

L1011Ret said:
You are the one who said you'd be happy to see them gone. You seem incapable of empathy for others. Since this was a horrible injustice, I fully support the TWAers in their efforts to obtain justice or whatever the courts or an arbitrator may decide.
I never said anything about being "happy" anyone is gone. Quite the contrary, this is just another examle of how you manipulate the facts and now my posts. Just because I agree with how the seniority issue was established does not mean I wish anyone out on the street. I've said that over and over again.

Thanks TWAnr and N905 AW, you came closest to answering my question. My thinking was along the lines of ..is there an accelerated rretirement of the F100 since the extra MD-80's will be available shortly?

As a customer, I am sorry about the TWA folks, you had a great run....best of luck to you all..May God Bless you....(check out Jeremiah 29:11).Thanks!

TAN 767 300 said:
Thanks TWAnr and N905 AW, you came closest to answering my question. My thinking was along the lines of ..is there an accelerated rretirement of the F100 since the extra MD-80's will be available shortly?
All AA F-100s (57 remaining) are to be retired by this time next year - that's pretty accelerated if you ask me. B)

Retiring them any faster can cause massive disruptions in the pilot ranks due to retraining and bumping; I would not expect the process to accelerated beyond its current schedule, especially since many of the F-100 routes are expected to be flown with CRJs to be delivered in the next 12 months.

FWAAA said:
All AA F-100s (57 remaining) are to be retired by this time next year - that's pretty accelerated if you ask me. B)

Retiring them any faster can cause massive disruptions in the pilot ranks due to retraining and bumping; I would not expect the process to accelerated beyond its current schedule, especially since many of the F-100 routes are expected to be flown with CRJs to be delivered in the next 12 months.
Well, that's a delay from the last schedule I saw. Last I heard the Fokkers were to be gone by March04. But then, the company has been "getting rid of the last of the Fokkers" for several years, and when push comes to shove, they delay.

Well they can't delay anylonger. AA's plan is to fly them untill their Maint Checks come due. They will not pay to put them thru another Heavy Check.

Until someone builds a plans that can haul cargo and passengers like the 300. Its here to stay baby. I am I guess lucky on the plane. Only one time have I ever lost a trip or time due to a mechanical.

Latest posts