Federal Judge Strikes Down Part Of Scott Walker's Anti-Collective Bargaining Law

Brought the TSA up because it has everything to do with government employees unionizing !

This is the "Walker vs. Government Unions" thread, isn't it ?
And finally...proof that SW has no clue about unions, government, strikes, breaches, etc., and believes the propaganda that is programmed in his mind :huh:

Reactions: 1 person
Don't confuse government unions with teachers unions. Teacher unions throw money at candidates to keep polititians away from their job security, tenure, seniority, etc.

The real world is that governments can screw new hires. My pension isn't going anywhere, because I'm locked into my tier, thank-you very much :p

You talking PBGC or IAM national?

Joe Taxpayer takes everything for granted. Imagine you taking your garbage to the dump and being charged accordingly. Imagine your streets and infrastructure falling totally apart. Joe Taxpayer is a winey ass drone that wants commodities but no new taxes or no taxes raised.

Proves what you know, government cannot strike. That's what got those idiots at ATC fired. :p

Last time I checked, my trash wasn't picked up by the government ! I know , I know , " Paying taxes is Patriotic ! " I think giving 3 months of wages to our "Bloated" government should be sufficient to keep the pot holes filled !

Last time I checked, my trash wasn't picked up by the government !

Yours might not be, but in a lot of WI cities, it is. Same with recycling.

BTW, one of Walker's brilliant ideas was to eliminate the law mandating recycling (and the funding for the same). All well and good, until it came out that it would actually cost more to dump it all in a landfill. Oops.

Last time I checked, my trash wasn't picked up by the government ! I know , I know , " Paying taxes is Patriotic ! " I think giving 3 months of wages to our "Bloated" government should be sufficient to keep the pot holes filled !
Don't be too sure, there, SW. Municipality, City, Town, County, State, one form of government is regulating your trash. Even a private hauler has to pay the weights and measures of a government. You might say it is government outsourcing :lol:

You also prove that since every state is different, we should keep out of other's affairs, because everyone is different.

I'm just sayin' :rolleyes:

Yours might not be, but in a lot of WI cities, it is. Same with recycling.

BTW, one of Walker's brilliant ideas was to eliminate the law mandating recycling (and the funding for the same). All well and good, until it came out that it would actually cost more to dump it all in a landfill. Oops.

Scott Walker has the right idea in that MANY (as in not all) government workers are often paid above market rates compared to their private sector counterparts. The reason people in WI are upset is not based upon the end result of a balanced budget, they're pissed at the whole way in which it was handled. This society has IMO an innate sense of fair play. When they see things as being unfair they react in a negative way, like taking to the streets. In WI when they were done their public protest rant they took action and started a recall petition drive. I support their efforts not because I agree with every point but because the state belongs to those who live and work there. NOT The Political Parasite Class. To me the recall is a "We The People" moment and we need more of them not less.

There is a significant haircut coming for Organized Labor both in numbers and in net compensation. State and local pension funds have a combined gap of 1,26 TRILLION in unfunded obligations. If these unions don't budge, they are going to get a buzz cut not a trim. Bankruptcy of local governments are on the rise and in Chapter 9 there is NOTHING a union can do except take the deal or be gone. In Central Falls, RI the workers got their pensions slashed by 50%, wages took a big hit as well. Detroit may file as early as this week if they can't work a deal with the state and so far the Governor there isn't budging. Stockton, CA is the largest city so far to go under and many are just defaulting on general obligation bonds and doing workouts with the bond holders who are also taking a big haircut.

The reason people in WI are upset is not based upon the end result of a balanced budget, they're pissed at the whole way in which it was handled. This society has IMO an innate sense of fair play. When they see things as being unfair they react in a negative way, like taking to the streets. In WI when they were done their public protest rant they took action and started a recall petition drive. I support their efforts not because I agree with every point but because the state belongs to those who live and work there. NOT The Political Parasite Class. To me the recall is a "We The People" moment and we need more of them not less.

No argument here. Walker and the Fitzgerald junta forgot who they work for (hint: It's not really the Koch brothers). The uprising in MSN and elsewhere is more about putting power back in the people's hands, and wresting democracy back from corporate America.

There is a significant haircut coming for Organized Labor both in numbers and in net compensation. State and local pension funds have a combined gap of 1,26 TRILLION in unfunded obligations. If these unions don't budge, they are going to get a buzz cut not a trim. Bankruptcy of local governments are on the rise and in Chapter 9 there is NOTHING a union can do except take the deal or be gone. In Central Falls, RI the workers got their pensions slashed by 50%, wages took a big hit as well. Detroit may file as early as this week if they can't work a deal with the state and so far the Governor there isn't budging. Stockton, CA is the largest city so far to go under and many are just defaulting on general obligation bonds and doing workouts with the bond holders who are also taking a big haircut.

WI unions *did* budge. In fact, they had already agreed to concessions in order to "share the pain." After all, they live (and pay taxes) there too. Walker took a flamethrower to that spirit of cooperation.

Scott Walker has the right idea in that MANY (as in not all) government workers are often paid above market rates compared to their private sector counterparts.
Know why that is? Most government workers are FORCED to live within their government's entity. A city worker must live in that city. A county worker within the county, and so on. The Ohio governor tried to lift the "residency rule", but last I heard it didn't go to good, with municipalities and unions suing the state, because ultimately they found that premium would be null and void.

In NYS, they want to bring in a new tier that will cut THEIR retirement by 40%. Mine will stay the same, but everybody's health will skyrocket.

Know why that is? Most government workers are FORCED to live within their government's entity. A city worker must live in that city. A county worker within the county, and so on. The Ohio governor tried to lift the "residency rule", but last I heard it didn't go to good, with municipalities and unions suing the state, because ultimately they found that premium would be null and void.

In NYS, they want to bring in a new tier that will cut THEIR retirement by 40%. Mine will stay the same, but everybody's health will skyrocket.

Not sure I agree. I think if you changed "most" to "many" it would be more accurate. I will say that in NY state you're quite correct and in many east coast cities and states.

St Paul, MN is 16 miles from the WI border and there are quite a few public employees living in Hudson, WI due to the lower taxes. OH did try something and I think it was voted down not struck down by the courts. Indiana passed some kind of law as well I think. Bottom line is the haircut is coming and oddly enough it will be partly as a result of the increased cost to the states under ObamaCare.

Not sure I agree. I think if you changed "most" to "many" it would be more accurate. I will say that in NY state you're quite correct and in many east coast cities and states.

St Paul, MN is 16 miles from the WI border and there are quite a few public employees living in Hudson, WI due to the lower taxes. OH did try something and I think it was voted down not struck down by the courts. Indiana passed some kind of law as well I think. Bottom line is the haircut is coming and oddly enough it will be partly as a result of the increased cost to the states under ObamaCare.
Yes there are "exceptions" from residency. In my government, sanitation workers, teachers, firefighters, and police are exempt. But that's about 25% of the workforce.

Not for nothing, but there was a referendum on the ballot in Dane County yesterday that stated, "Should all Wisconsin workers have the right to seek safe working conditions and fair pay through collective bargaining?" It passed easily.

Since a lot of states are in a finacial hole right now changes to worker benefits and retirements are going to change one way or another.

However I hope people don't think that all state and local workers have a sweetheart deal. My brother-in-law is a cop and he can retire at twenty years of service which is coming up soon. Except that his retirement pakage for twenty years of service is as such he has two choices. One, retire but find another job becasue the retirement will not pay the bills. Or he can stay on the force for another fifteen years. So his two choices are work or work.

Since a lot of states are in a finacial hole right now changes to worker benefits and retirements are going to change one way or another.

However I hope people don't think that all state and local workers have a sweetheart deal. My brother-in-law is a cop and he can retire at twenty years of service which is coming up soon. Except that his retirement pakage for twenty years of service is as such he has two choices. One, retire but find another job becasue the retirement will not pay the bills. Or he can stay on the force for another fifteen years. So his two choices are work or work.

So , his choices include, if he became a Police Officer at 21, is to retire at age 41 and find another job? And the problem is?

Latest posts