Few Thoughts on UAL

UnitedChicago

Veteran
Aug 27, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Hi all. I finally registered - was an old PlaneBusiness user till Holly started charging. I mean - it was bad enough she ripped on UA as frequently as she sucked up to Southwest - but to then have to pay to read it? Ha.
Anyway...I''ve been reading with interest a lot of posts here. Specifically...I really enjoy UAL777Flyer''s perspective. I enjoy the above the fray observation and analysis.
My background: my father was a captain for UA and I''ve been an avid fan of UA since I was 12. Add 19 years and now I fly UA frequently (Premiere Exec if you must know ;)). Still an avid fan minus some occasional bad flight experiences.
Anyway...sorry to drag on. Just wanted to post some thoughts and observations.
-Bottom line, the press at large does not have the expertise or key knowledge to intelligently covering the airline industry. I actually got a kick out of reading one analyst who (during the week of U filing ch11) initially said United will not be able to avoid ch11 and then reversed his opinion 3 days later. Those who have followed United and the industry in general knows that negotiations go down to the wire and beyond. Remember the ESOP negotiations back in 93? They missed deadlines for deals over 3 times and broke off negotiations. I know this is a dire situation - not like any in United''s history - but I refuse to believe the press who have essentially concluded that they are filing. They also felt that United would sink below Delta during the Allegis crisis. Did they?
-The ceo situation is a powerful bargaining chip right now. Creighton can say John Doe1 is our pick, if we can come to an agreement - he/she takes the job. If we dont come to and agreement, we will file ch11 and all bets are off. The unions have veto power now over the ceo pick - they won''t in ch11.
-Another management chip is negotiating ch11 "side letters" as part of the concessions. U negotiated these with the pilots and FA''s - essentially they agreed not to seek further cuts from them if they filed ch11. Now it''s not as good as gold, because it could be voided by the judge...but Lorenze helped make voiding contracts harder in ch11.
Just random thoughts...more later...
UA will make it.

Thanks for the kind words. No doubt United will make it. Once we reorganize, oneway or another, we will be stonger than ever.
A new CEO is the key to our success. It wont hurt if he is GB.

Moderator's note: Alexander, I suggest you re-read the rules pertaining to using this forum before you continue posting.

----------------
On 8/31/2002 11:41:33 PM

Batman UAL will never make it as long as the scum alpa pilots seem to have a divine right to be paid exorbidant wages. Dont those idiots realize that when a company is losing billions of dollars that you cant expect to be paid the same as someone in a company that is making money.
in 2000 they wrecked the company with their childish and foolish antics , now they r wondering , what happened?
When Ual goes chap 7 they will get the message. Yes i said chap 7
----------------

Oh, so when a company is making lots of money (like 94-99) they should pay the employees more. Interesting.... By the way Alex, I have 3 years at UAL, I'm in my mid to late 30's, I have a traditional BS and MBA, and I have prob the equivilant of a PHd in flying. I've flow and commanded Jets from 5000 lbs to over half a million pound. I'm a maj in the AF reserves with a couple hundred combat and combat support hours. I'm one simple injury or illness away from being permanantly prohibited from performing my profession. Since You think I make too much, let me ask you (to see if you even have a clue what I make), how much do I make? How much should I make?

----------------
On 8/31/2002 11:41:33 PM

Batman UAL will never make it as long as the scum alpa pilots seem to have a divine right to be paid exorbidant wages. Dont those idiots realize that when a company is losing billions of dollars that you cant expect to be paid the same as someone in a company that is making money.
in 2000 they wrecked the company with their childish and foolish antics , now they r wondering , what happened?
When Ual goes chap 7 they will get the message. Yes i said chap 7
----------------

Ok, mr alex wannabe pilot. its obvious you didnt make it to the majors. so why dont you take your act over to Yahoo. we dont need your hatred here. bye

Busdrvr and everyone else. Don't respond to that idiot. It only encourages him.