Firearm discharges on US Airways flight

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
The firearm of a Transportation Security Administration federal flight deck officer accidentally discharged during a US Airways flight from Denver to Charlotte on Saturday, according to the airline.

No one was injured, and the flight landed safely in Charlotte, according to a statement from US Airways. The incident occured on flight 1536, which was in the air between 6:45 and 11:51 a.m. Saturday.

The flight had 124 passengers and five pilots and flight attendents on board, the airline said. The aircraft was removed from service.

US Airways said it is cooperating with law enforcement authorities, who are investigating the incident.

Arent FFDOs pilots?

:eek: Great one day I will belch and Rosco or Enus up front will blow my head off. Good God what in the HE** is going on with this place!?

The correct term is "negligent discharge." They don't discharge by themselves. I believe if it was the FFDO, they had either a Glock or an HK USP. I own both, and they do not fire under any circumstances unless the trigger is pulled and (depending upon how the HK is configured for safetys) the safety is off. It simply cannot happen "accidentally." Both have potential failure modes on the second/subsequent shots, but you do not get the fiream to go "Bang!" in either case without physically pulling the trigger.

Pilot or FAM: zero excuse for this one. If it's the FAM, they need to be removed from the force. If it's the pilot, they need to be removed from the FFDO program ASAP. Zero excuses. Proper firearm handling is a life and death exercise and should not be entrusted to anyone who has so much as a tiny screwup, much less a negligent discharge.

Clue- You are not making me feel any better. I think the FFDO (he look im a packing stud) program should be OVER! Trust me when I tell you that with every breath left in me I will beat the ****out of anyone trying to get up in the flight deck. Take the guns away. One will ruin it for all. Never liked it from the get go.

oh god...please do not turn this into East vs West thread. Who cares who was from where. It was a stupid program from the get go! If we are going with the FFDO line of thinking hell, give me a Taser! I said sit down now! ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT opps.....sorry, it just went off.
Please. This is serious ####. We could have lost a 129 people today.

Clue- You are not making me feel any better. I think the FFDO (he look im a packing stud) program should be OVER! Trust me when I tell you that with every breath left in me I will beat the ****out of anyone trying to get up in the flight deck. Take the guns away. One will ruin it for all. Never liked it from the get go.

I couldn't agree more. Get these things off the airplanes NOW!!!

The correct term is "negligent discharge." They don't discharge by themselves. I believe if it was the FFDO, they had either a Glock or an HK USP. I own both, and they do not fire under any circumstances unless the trigger is pulled and (depending upon how the HK is configured for safetys) the safety is off. It simply cannot happen "accidentally." Both have potential failure modes on the second/subsequent shots, but you do not get the fiream to go "Bang!" in either case without physically pulling the trigger.

Pilot or FAM: zero excuse for this one. If it's the FAM, they need to be removed from the force. If it's the pilot, they need to be removed from the FFDO program ASAP. Zero excuses. Proper firearm handling is a life and death exercise and should not be entrusted to anyone who has so much as a tiny screwup, much less a negligent discharge.
AMEN to the one! Great post. Never mind that the front end has no buesness with firearm's in the fisrt place, especially since their behind an IMPENETRABLE DOOR. But that's another topic. I've been saying all along, it's not if some one's gonna screw up, but when. Now it has, let's see how the power's that be repond.

AMEN to the one! Great post. Never mind that the front end has no buesness with firearm's in the fisrt place, especially since their behind an IMPENETRABLE DOOR. But that's another topic. I've been saying all along, it's not if some one's gonna screw up, but when. Now it has, let's see how the power's that be repond.

Yep, nothing ever goes wrong with kneejerk reactions. After all we have the TSA screening all the passengers we all know that is foolproof, then we have a locked door, and on top of all that we will have an f-16 blow the plane out of the sky.