Us Airways To Start Vail Service

TVLOOPS said:
Lake Tahoe airport runway when PSA flew in is about 8500 Feet at about 6250 feet elevation.
Can a 757 do that departure and make it to the east coast without refueling? That's a pretty high altitude and not too long of a runway for the altitude.

Why not just fly to RNO.

Either way, EGE was a good idea; everybody with a rational brain has acknowledged it as such.

I do not know if a 757 could operate at Lake Tahoe. I do know that during the winter months a bus trip from Lake Tahoe airport to Reno can take two to three hours. And the road (HWY 50) does close in heavy storms.

If you are going to go to Tahoe, you need to fly to Reno, it opens up more revenue possibilities to serve B-List conventions in Reno. Reno Air flew into South Lake Tahoe for a brief period in the 90s from LAX IIRC. I am unsure of the performance numbers for the B757, but 8500 feet of runway, with obstacles at over 6000 elevation is quite a task at MTOW. Anyone have the actual performance numbers to saatify my curiosity.

Add my smile to the announcement! I am so glad to see some "outside the box thinking" when it comes to scheduling our flying. Service from BOS to the islands, added flights from PHL and CLT to the islands on the weekends, LGA and BOS service to LAS on the weekends and now Vail. Bring on the other ski resorts in the rockies!

I would love to see us work with local station level communities and coordinate special events and additional air lift on the weekends to support local functions. SBN alwasy comes to mind when the fighting irish are in town. The GSO furniture mart is always a biggie too.

This is a great first step.....keep the momentum going.

AA and UA have both been flying LGA-EZE on Saturday only with 757's for several winters with from what I understand strong loads and yields. With the high demand for NYC-Vail service perhaps this will be tried next winter as well.

LGA777 said:
AA and UA have both been flying LGA-EZE on Saturday only with 757's for several winters with from what I understand strong loads and yields. With the high demand for NYC-Vail service perhaps this will be tried next winter as well.
I assume you meant EGE, not EZE. That'd be a pretty incredible hop from LGA to EZE using a 757 - they must do in-flight refuelding.

Thanks for the correction I-Trade, yes I ment EGE, I hate it when that happens.

Thanks again LGA777

A north bound takeoff from Lake Tahoe goes over the lake, thus no obstacles. A south takeoff heads towards Echo Summit, a high mountain pass. There is a golf course to the south where small aircraft would circle to gain altitude so they can cross the Sierras.

PSA would not allow a south takeoff after sunset. Air Cal did allow a southern takeoff after sun set.