Us Airways To Start Vail Service

18yrsandstillonnights said:
Gosh, actually flying to where people want to go ! What a concept !....
Maybe they will also think about starting service to Salt Lake City or Jackson Hole seasonally.
Also, I know with the economic problems in Brazil that things are tough at times there, but we are putting a lot of people on flights to MIA and IAD to make connections to AA and UA to Sao Paulo. Perhaps someday soon we may start our own service there too???
I think that south of the Caribbean is going to be a bit more of a daunting proposition. There is already quite a bit of lift to Sao Paulo, Rio, Brasilia, Montivideo, Buenos Aires, and the like. Toss in the fact that the inherent stability of the economies of the countries (Brazil with their currency/inflation and Argentina with its inflation/unemployment) often make these countries tough calls.

Compare that to the Caribbean which are dependent mostly upon tourists - as long as there are tourists, there will be passengers to fly down there.

Somebody mentioned elsewhere that the * Alliance was building a big, big terminal at MIA. With US's entry into *, the options are available. Of course, you need more heavy lift to get the job done.

This is another mainline, high yield route. A good business move - especially with 185 people crammed into coach at an average fare of $450 is some good revenue. Just like all those new Carrib. flights in the last 2 years. They oughta' use *some* of that profit on the route to make the pax happy on their vacation. Like, a movie and snow beers.

This is great news! Even if it's only seasonal and on Saturday only -- we are finally going west and we're doing it with 757's.

PITbull, OldguyinPA, and Doc,

You guys crack me up. You have to put a negative spin on everything management decides. This thread really exposes your bias.

Bluestreak said:
This is great news! Even if it's only seasonal and on Saturday only -- we are finally going west and we're doing it with 757's.

PITbull, OldguyinPA, and Doc,

You guys crack me up. You have to put a negative spin on everything management decides. This thread really exposes your bias.
Face it, they won't be happy until a 737 is flown from PIT to DUJ, $25.00 an hour mechanics are the only one who can touch a piece of luggage, and there is one mechanic per piece of luggage.

PITbull

I am a union member and I don't think it is the best interest of unionized workers to perpetuate the worst union stereotypes in a public forum. Obviously, you and some others on this board feel differently.

PHL said:
This is another mainline, high yield route. A good business move - especially with 185 people crammed into coach at an average fare of $450 is some good revenue. Just like all those new Carrib. flights in the last 2 years. They oughta' use *some* of that profit on the route to make the pax happy on their vacation. Like, a movie and snow beers.
Vail is one of the most premier/highly rated ski resorts in the USA. Having lived and worked in Vail I can tell you that the place is stinking with $MONEY$. It never failed to amaze me at how much money some people have. It flows like melting snow in the springtime.

I often thought we were missing out on some revenue opportunities by not offering seasonal ski service to places like Vail, Jackson Hole and SLC. Hopefully there will be more service to follow. I think the weekend service is optimum, if a passenger cant stay for the week they have code share flts to get home on.

HAPPY SKIING :up:

Blue,

I don't see Pittsburgh in the above equation...therefore I speak.

I am a member as well. You have a right to express your opinion any way you see fit. so does everyone on this board. You may THINK some folks as members are representing union in bad light, others on here think differently.

Will I judge you as to passive and weak, NO. Will I personally be silent cause it makes you "feel good"...what do you think?

ClueByFour said:
Folks, it's two days a week.

I can get there on UA seven days a week.
The point is these 75's are on better revenue opportunities Sun-Fri but are idle on Sat because of the reduced schedule. To lower unit by raising aircraft usage costs and increase revenue U sees this an opportunity to icrease productivity and revenue at a greater level than cost. The overhead of the aircraft an employees is there so they are looking at these and other Saturday Caribbean flights as a way to increase utilization of assetts. If they find opportunities where revenue exceeds operational cost, why not?

Since I'm so clueless, why not South Lake Tahoe. Great skiing, more money tham Vail and a longer stage length. Save your money ..ITRADE

PSA used to fly there...TVL, SLC, RNO...... When PSA was a real airline, not some comuter joke.

Lake Tahoe airport runway when PSA flew in is about 8500 Feet at about 6250 feet elevation.

California PUC said only the L188 Electra could be flown due to noise pollution for scheduled commercial service . At one time PSA had 9 flights a day and the planes were very full.

PSA did have several jet charters using their one remaining 727-114. Again due to the PUC and local noise complaints the charters were dropped.

I don't think Tahoe would work for US Airways.

Bluestreak...

I would gladly go back to my 1985 wages and flexible work rules in a heartbeat. For your information I worked for PSA when it flew more people in California than PAN AM flew out the world. For me it's all been downhill since 1988. I only wish I hadn't stuck around.

The end is near anyway...we're in worse shape than their admitting. Oh well..... :down: :down:I won't work for express or express-mainline. Fortunately, I have skills and will not work for peanuts.

Latest posts