firings in LGA

topDawg said:
how in the hell is that apples to apples? Does a fireman get a nap during the fire? Does the cop get to take a power nap in the middle of giving someone a ticket? Doctor get to rest his eyes in the middle of your heart attack? No, they sleep during down time. We don't have down time. Other than breaks we don't have a down time. (however, At Delta you are more than welcome to sleep during your break and or lunch) 

Thats our job, we are paid to work on airplanes, not sleep. If you can't handle thirds then bid off of it. 
Er Delta does 5 days a week night shift in all of the hangar. You get weekend crew then its 3 days (plus a makeup day). The rest is 5 days. 

And FWIW Delta let the hangar vote to go to 4 days 10 hours and it got voted down. The line might be 4 days a week, not sure. (I think it is station by station.) Engine shop is 5 days too, and i think so is the test cell. 

oh and 3rd shift gets 52 cent and hour extra.
Nobody is defending guys sleeping when they have not completed their assignment, and on the line most bid off nights as soon as they have the seniority to do so, but to fire a guy who closes his eyes on nights after completing his assignment is stupid. Whats the difference between having a snooze and reading a book? I've worked Non-union jobs as well and on nights when the work was done everyone had a nap, even management, nobody spoke about it and nobody was fired for it, on your Monday expect to get heavy assignments, on your Friday they would try and go light, but its not unusual for your light Friday to turn out heavy. The company gets what they want because the guys hustle to get done if they can, then management knows sooner, rather than later, what the morning is going to look like, every station wants to pick up the phone and say "XYZ all in service". When they do the morning looks good, the guys have their little nap and are ready for the departures and morning moves. When they pick up the phone and none of the books are closed out because everyone is still working they get nervous. Thats how it was when this was a good paying job, now that they are paying half as much they want to change things?

Bob Owens said:
Thats how it was when this was a good paying job, now that they are paying half as much they want to change things?
That probably has more to do with the declining quality of the TWU than anything else.

Ask yourself why it is that the one occupation in the TWU that actually requires a license is the one occupation that the company tries to grind into the ground.

Once the company feels like they have debased the mechanics enough then the other dominoes will start falling. Just a prediction, and the TWU helped. 

Slopoke said:

Oh my aching Johnson! Who works all night, everynight? If your airplanes are done and back to the gate or back in service, are you not done? So if you catch a few after all of your assignments are completed, who cares! So after I'm done with all of my assignments, you would expect me to clean and polish my tools, sweep and clean the entire hangar, or just look busy. Not happening!

It is very rare that I don't have an airplane to work on. 

but I will say, Delta does a good job of putting a RON into the hangar if we don't have a aircraft in for a visit/check. 

but I don't think Bob was talking about once he finished his work, I thought he was saying that he should get a power nap no matter what he had/hadn't done for the night. 

Bob Owens said:
Nobody is defending guys sleeping when they have not completed their assignment, and on the line most bid off nights as soon as they have the seniority to do so, but to fire a guy who closes his eyes on nights after completing his assignment is stupid. Whats the difference between having a snooze and reading a book? I've worked Non-union jobs as well and on nights when the work was done everyone had a nap, even management, nobody spoke about it and nobody was fired for it, on your Monday expect to get heavy assignments, on your Friday they would try and go light, but its not unusual for your light Friday to turn out heavy. The company gets what they want because the guys hustle to get done if they can, then management knows sooner, rather than later, what the morning is going to look like, every station wants to pick up the phone and say "XYZ all in service". When they do the morning looks good, the guys have their little nap and are ready for the departures and morning moves. When they pick up the phone and none of the books are closed out because everyone is still working they get nervous. Thats how it was when this was a good paying job, now that they are paying half as much they want to change things?
I don't really disagree then Bob. I thought you meant the company should allow a nap even if you have work to do. 

So yes, I think that if there really isn't any work to be done then they should leave you alone (or let you cut out).

I will say, I do feel sorry for you guys. I wish we had the work you guys do, but your labor/management relations completely suck.  

Latest posts

Back