First Up Program

US1YFARE

Veteran
Mar 31, 2004
More and more f/a's and pax are seeing people in FC with no status on flights where they have offered the First Upgrade at the gate for $100 or whatever they are charging. What is more interesting is that you are seeing elites sitting in the back while people with no status (US4's and non-DM members) sitting in FC--not just a few, but several elites in the back, including US1's.

I saw it with my own eyeballs that a pax paid for an upgrade and elites were sitting in the back of the plane and not offered the upgrade.

Is this US policy to offer the First Up program even though elites are waiting for the upgrade? If so, that is just wrong. Why should someone with no status who probably paid a lot less for their ticket and who has no loyalty to US get that upgrade for a lousy $100?

I have heard this from some, but just had a difficult time believing it to be true--are some gate agents pocketing the upgrade money? From what I have been told, it is quite simple.

Is this US policy to offer the First Up program even though elites are waiting for the upgrade?

Yes.

When AWA started this program I was unhappy for a few reasons because I personally doubted the additional revenue would be worth the problems that would occur. I even wrote a couple of e-mails about my various concerns, but they seemingly were not interested in my concerns.

While I won't share all my concerns, I will say that one of them was potential ill will the program might have with AWA Flight Fund members. I exclusively chose to work FC and asked customers about this policy on the plane and the results somewhat surprised me. Our customers, including FF'ers that had to sit in the back, didn't object to the airline seating people paying an upgrade in FC ahead of themselves. However, they did not want to see, or hear about any standby employee being in FC and they were in the back.

In retrospect I think the customers, by and large, went along with the program for a few reasons that included AWA's main competition in it's market was WN, which lacked any FC and lacks assigned seating. So, they may have perceived that they were better off seeing AWA survive and maybe make sme money rather then fail and then they are left with WN anyway.

As I said, I am not going to discuss all my concerns about the program, but you are an example of one of my concerns.

That is garbage if that is their policy--obviously, HP has not encountered an East Coast customer on a Friday night after a long week who freaks out at the FA because they are stuck in the back while someone is up front who doesn't belong there. Once again, the airline puts the FA in the unfortunate position of dealing with an irate pax. It is unfair to the FA's and it is unfair to the elite pax.

I am tired of gate agents and ticket agents leaving it to the FA's to deal with irate pax like it is not their problem. They pass the buck, or in this case, may be taking the buck which causes more unnecessary aggravation for the FA who is a totally innocent party.

Without going on a rant, let me say simply that if I cannot upgrade for free as a CP, then I have no reason whatsoever to fly on USairways.

This cannot really be true. Can it?

First, let me say that the paid upgrades begin selling 30hrs prior to departure, so that is a possiblity, because of the frequency of changes by elites, that someone did get the upgrade over an elite, but it would be because of elites changing w/in 30hrs.

2nd, plz understand that many customers, including elites, assume alot. Many elites I have spoken to, think that because the person sitting in that fclass seat doesnt LOOK like they are elite, doesnt mean they aren't.

There are other factors, that can not be discussed here, which could lead to a non-elite in fclass.

Please rest assured that those of us who are working FOR our customers, are doing just that. The ones who are commiting fraud, WILL be caught. (I have been privy to employee fraud sting operations)

Ok, working a flight yesterday from MCO to PHL I had a "gold" member (lol I made myself laugh) sitting in coach on the 757 and asked why he was not being allowed to upgrade while they were announcing the firstup program in the gate area. I had no answer from the agent when he came down except that FC is full. Regardless of the excuse or Jackass reasoning it's not right. To justify throwing some of your most loyal fliers in coach and giving an upgrade to anyone on a cheap ticket is crazy. I moved him to the exit row 26 and gave him a drink. I hate being put in these positions but someone had to step up to the plate. Not that I need anyone to tell me, "good job" but it was nice to hear a good comment from him. He said, "Even though this little thing happened, it's because of folks like you that keep up.".. That kind of stuff IS important and the "New Mgmt" better start realizing it or get rid of the product (if you wanna call it that) up there and throw the coach seats in. It's PURE BS.

This is an issue that we at FFOCUS are taking very seriously. I have had independent confirmation from a few sources (who are definitely in a position to know), that there is NO policy requiring first ups to be sold before elites are upgraded. The upgrade windows remain, and those elite members on the AIRPORT standby list, should be accomodated before selling upgrades.

That said, there are some agents who have decided that it is more important to generate some added revenue, and have taken it upon themselves to sell the upgrades before working a standby list of elites.

Also please bear in mind that I have been told and have witnessed myself cases of elites who thought they were on the airport standby list when in fact they checked in on line. Many elites do NOT realize that they must be placed on the airport list MANUALLY by an agent at the airport. I think in some of the cases reported, these people who wound up sitting in the back had neglected to get on the right standby list.

Although this is not an official policy, it is of major concern, as it represents yet another devaluation of the DM/Flightfund programs, and is another middle finger waved at those loyal Preferred customers who stayed loyal throughout all the nonsense which has gone on with this airline over the past 5 years or more. I think Bofie's statement above is representative of many US1's US2's and US3's, and that if it becomes more widespread, the defections will increase.

I never thought I would say this, but something like this would make me take another look at other airlines........

In all fairness, however, give us some time to take this and other issues up with US management. We have had a preview of some other proposed changes to the new Dividend Miles program, and they are not customer friendly.

The bottom line here is the company's attitude in general toward its best customers. It appears they just don't care about us, and that they will keep chipping away at the program until there is no reason for us to stay. It does appear that they place more value on taking passengers away from Greyhound Air than they do making Preferred flyers happy. Remember perception is reality to most people, and even if it is not their intent, it sure LOOKS like this is the case.

We have no issue with their needing to increase revenue. We DO have issue with nickel and diming and taking benefits away or devaluing them while at the same time ignoring the much needed RATIONALIZATION of the fares..not the lowest fares, but across the board....Fair fares will work!! It has been proven. Decide what you want to be US--if you want to be a true LCC, then your fares better fall into line with other LCC's. You cannot charge legacy fares which you do now, and continue to reduce service...there is then no value to the customer.

We are advocating the reorganization of a Consumer Advisory Board or similar organization in which a group of flyers interacts directly with US senior management to discuss these issues, and to make each group aware of the others comments, observations and concerns.

I think, for many, this may be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

I don't recall the exact numbers, but there was a study which said that the top third of all flyers contribute almost two thirds of all revenue--or something to that effect.

Let's hope it gets better...at least we're going to make sure they are aware of this situation.

My best to you all.....

Ok, working a flight yesterday from MCO to PHL I had a "gold" member (lol I made myself laugh) sitting in coach on the 757 ...

As far as I know it is first come first serve....years ago it was explained to me that after about 80 percent of first is full--included the automated sytem for elite upgrades-the sytem stops upgrading elites.....from that point on it is first come first serve whether it be an elite or a paid upgrade....
So lets see... scenario for example the gold memebers ff number for some reason was not put in the rez...yes, it happens ALOT...well if they come to the counter and seats are avail-they get it....if not then they go on the upgrade list....if at the gate a seat opens up and someone wants to pay before the comp up--they payer gets it...that simple....

OK ..i work the tkt and gates....First up is designed to utilize any first class "E" booking code up to 24hrs ahead of time to anyone who wants to buy it...Now if the E class is available the day before or the day of when the pax's are cking in for a flight..then the CHPR and the Gold and Silver should already have gotten upgraded with the E class of first class booking...The E class of service would not still be available 24hrs ahead if the elite travelers didnt call and upgde when there supposed to....also if your working the gate and there are no E seats available, then you work off the standby list and fill them up first with the 1/2/3 elite members....then u sell whatever is left....period....now if an agent is misusing the system and overriding the stby list and selling E seats out from under everyone's nose without clearing the stby's then that is wrong and the company would have to address it...

I hate being put in these positions but someone had to step up to the plate. Not that I need anyone to tell me, "good job" but it was nice to hear a good comment from him.

that is exactly what i'm talking about, there is no reason that people like tp72 have to be put in this position...tp72 wants to make customers happy but shouldn't be the one to deal with the gate agents passing the buck

Is this US policy to offer the First Up program even though elites are waiting for the upgrade?

It most certainly is not policy. What we have here is either:

a. An egregious abuse of the system by gate agents (you know who you are. The rest of you: no flaming, please).

b. The Legacy US mainframe cannot handle the programming necessary to accomplish the gate standby list correctly. Legacy HP mainframe is an automated and seemless process, so there is very little opportunity for abuse.

I would imagine we're seeing a combination of both. Calls to Customer Relations allows us to track incidents and detect, investigate, and stop fraud, and, more to the point: get you your upgrade, which is earned, deserved, and by all rights yours.

That said, the FirstUp program (or whatever those yokels at US Airways are calling it now) is expected to generate nearly :censored: in additional revenue. Outside, of course, of the generous amounts of money we they receive from the much appreciated VFF's.

And while we're on the topic of money, all of you non-Elites, get ready to start paying for :censored: ... :ph34r:

Confidential to Art: I'm not ignoring you, I promise.

From working with the 2 computer systems, I've been told that the HP system automatically recognizes the status without having to call in or put in a request for an upgrade like the US side has to do. They both will clear in advance if E seats are available, but as long as your number is in on the HP system, you're done. On the US side, you have to make sure the agent taking the reservation has put in the DMU.500 upgrade request for it to go on queue.

This is exactly what I hinted would happen over on a Flyertalk thread.

US1/2/3's MUST.. i repeat /// MUST /// call to verify they are on the advance waitlist for an upgrade. It is not always automatic.

If there is no "E" class open, you will be put on the PALL list at time of check-in as a UP1,2,3 or whatever your status is. If "E" is open, you should be confirmed at that time. FirstUp is only allowed 30 hours in advance if "E" is open --- everything else is done at the gate (such as no E but 2 F open and no one on the PALL list).

Please do not make assumptions that the gate agent skipped over you. You just did not ask at check-in about the upgrade and get put on the list.

This is coming from a FORMER supervisor.

Barbell:

Nice to see you back here. I hope you stick around - we always knew that there was someone out there who was listening to us... or at least reading what we were saying.

US1/2/3's MUST.. i repeat /// MUST /// call to verify they are on the advance waitlist for an upgrade. It is not always automatic.

This cannot be stressed enough. The East system has always been hit and miss when you get on the list via the website, and the few times I've been on HP metal since the merger I've called to find out that I was not (yet) on the waitlist (although I suppose this is excusable given that I'm using DM not FF status).

Back