Fleet Simplifications Target $50 Million Savings

AMFAMAN

Veteran
Jul 23, 2003
FURPVILLE
American Airlines will further simplify its fleet by returning 19 non-standard 757-200s, previously part of the TWA fleet, to their lessors between January 2007 and March 2008. Returning the former TWA 757s at the end of the natural lease terms is a smart business decision that will save money, simplify operations, and improve efficiency as American continues to forge a different path to return to and sustain profitability.

This decision simplifies American's 757 fleet by eliminating a second cabin configuration lacking important customer amenities such as new seats, oversized overhead bins, in-flight entertainment, and powerports.

The decision to return these aircraft also reduces AA's lease costs by approximately $50 million per year and removes an aircraft with less competitive cabin amenities, therefore avoiding costly interior upgrades required to match remaining 757s. Schedule plans for 2007 are still being developed.

My mole at Centreport called this evening and confirmed that the TW 75s are going back to the lessor. I hate that.

I don't know what the article meant by lack of inflight entertainment. Those LCD drop-down screens are years newer that AA's old CRT's hanging from the ceiling over the aisle.

In spite of the press release, this decision was made just after the acquisition and before 9/11. The intent has always been to return the "non-standard" 757's when the leases expired. In fact, eight aircraft have been returned already, leaving the nineteen mentioned.

MK

In spite of the press release, this decision was made just after the acquisition and before 9/11. The intent has always been to return the "non-standard" 757's when the leases expired. In fact, eight aircraft have been returned already, leaving the nineteen mentioned.

MK

Exactly. AA said when it bought the TWA assets that it would order new RR 757s to replace all of these P&W engined airplanes, just like it ordered (and accepted delivery in 2003) of nine new 763s to replace the returned P&W engined TWA 763s.

Let's face it, there are going to be less 757, Md-80 and sooner then later few or no A300. There will be more 777's and hopefully 787. Some more 737-800 and -700 would be good too. Since there is no practcal airplane to replace the A300's to the Caribean for cargo space, AA may want to get freighters. I am not endorsing any plane as the ideal solution but just examining the possibilty.

...I know this is the case, but what makes the A300 better than a 763 for cargo? Just curious. It seems they're about the same size plane, but the A300 can't fly as far...

...I know this is the case, but what makes the A300 better than a 763 for cargo? Just curious. It seems they're about the same size plane, but the A300 can't fly as far...

IIRC, the A-300 can carry more LD3 containers than the 763. I may be mistken, but I think it can carry the larger cargo containers, as well (the ones that don't even fit in a 763 belly).

It is an ideal short-haul cargo hauler.

The logical replacement for the A300 will be the 777. Tons of cargo capacity, lots of room to pack in the sardines up top and pretty good operating economics. The perfect solution would be some of the short-range A-market models (like the ones UA flies to Hawaii) instead of the long-range ERs, but not too many of the A-market models were built with RR Trents.

And before anybody sqwawks that the 777 is far too big - we've had that discussion a few times and even convinced NH/BBs that it would work. B)

Let's face it, there are going to be less 757, Md-80 and sooner then later few or no A300. There will be more 777's and hopefully 787. Some more 737-800 and -700 would be good too. Since there is no practcal airplane to replace the A300's to the Caribean for cargo space, AA may want to get freighters. I am not endorsing any plane as the ideal solution but just examining the possibilty.

Here’s an interesting side note; if AA were to buy the 787, would it finally be time for them to start shopping for a new livery? Don’t get me wrong, I’ve always admired how American’s existing scheme has looked good on every airplane in the fleet, but a jet painted entirely in grey (like the composite tails and engine cowls on the 767s, etc.) would look terrible, IMHO.

IIRC, the A-300 can carry more LD3 containers than the 763. I may be mistken, but I think it can carry the larger cargo containers, as well (the ones that don't even fit in a 763 belly).

You're right on the cargo container issue. Have we considered the 764? The 764 would have roughly the same passenger capacity as the A300, although cargo would be more limited. I am just considering the cost of the aircraft. Presumably, 764's could be obtained more quickly than 777's (and be cheaper as well).

Kind of goes against fleet simplification to get the 764. It's not common rated with the 763 for pilots.

I would imagine it could cary the same cargo as an A300 though as it fits more containers than a 763...

As for the 777, I would imagine all of those are being used for the long haul stuff. Wouldn't make much sense to put them on a JFK-Caribbean run...this isn't Delta.

There are only 45 764 in the world operated by Delta & Continental. Delta has 21 and Cal has 24, these are the newest 767's in each airlines respective fleets. I doubt they are for sale or even available unless one was to shut down. Delta is in Chapter 11, Cal isn't. If Delta's were suddenly available then who knows...

Delta's 764's are powered by GE engines providing some commonality with AA 763's.