Flight Attendant Terminations?

Right on Jim! Especially when there are so many of us on the street. They don't want the job badly enough to follow the rules, than let 'em move aside and get us back to work!

Ski

Garfield1966 said:
Hey Jimntx. You better watch out. People have been slammed for holding people accountable and the like. I got your back. :)
Thanks, Gar. Fortunately what other people think of me is not really any of my business.

jimntx said:
Maybe. But, they shouldn't. I'm sorry, but when people willfully break the rules they lose their jobs. In this case, the price for non-revving while on the sick list is termination.

There are some company termination actions which the union should protect f/as from because there are extenuating circumstances. But when people use drugs or come to work drunk after having been given a second chance, , non-rev while "sick", steal from the company or their co-workers, etc., they have no right to continued employment.

In order to be considered grown-up people, each of us has to accept the fact that actions have consequences, and we can do anything we want to do as long as we are willing to pay the price.
jim,

Trust me, they all will have their jobs back in 6-12 months. Whwn someone is terminated it takes about 6-12 months for the union to get their jobs back. I'm willing to bet they will get back pay too.

About 3 years ago when I was an OCR I sat in on a grievance hearing with our Base Chair on the same issue as this. That flight attendant had her job back 4 months later with back pay.

It may not be right but, this is how it works.

Jim,

With any luck things will end up different this time around. Even by the [deleted] own admission, it would be wrong for them to get their jobs back. Given the economic situation this time perhaps flight service will find a back bone and tell the union where to stuff it. Heck, if the union had any ethics, they would tell the FAs who were canned where to stuff it but I would not hold my breath on the latter.

After reading this thread (and other non-rev strings here) I am convinced there is a direct relation between:

--employees who enjoy free product courtesy of the company

--employees lack of sensitivity/understanding why the customer chooses not to pay an inflated price for that same product

--goofy union mentality that automatically defends said employees when caught w/ hand in cookie jar

Focus on the revenue folks!

whatkindoffreshhell said:
--goofy union mentality that automatically defends said employees when caught w/ hand in cookie jar
Contrary to popular belief, unions do not "get anybody's job back." All unions can do is represent a member at a series of hearings which may or may not end in arbitration. If a neutral arbitrator decides in an employee's favor, you can be damn sure there's a reason for it.

Union people are fired every day, and some of them stick. Everyone, even someone who at first glance appears obviously guilty, deserves a defense.

MK

In Rumor Control: Contrary to rumors, there have not been 400 Flight
Attendants terminated for use of sick time during November and
December. APFA does not routinely discuss disciplinary action taken
against individual Flight Attendants by the Company. This is out of
respect for the Grievance Process and the Flight Attendants
involved.

Also in Rumor Control: The Miami Police in conjunction with American
Airlines security recently performed surveillance on a third party
vendor onboard an American Airlines aircraft in Miami. The vendor
was under investigation. At no time was any American Airlines
employee the subject of the surveillance operation. According to the
Company, the surveillance took place over a period of between 30 and
45 minutes and is not ongoing.

Heard it throught the grape vine that 20 are gone so far and another 30 are on the chopping block.

I guess it's a start.

Hello. This is Liz Geiss, DFW InfoRep Captain, with the APFA Hotline for Friday, February 6th, 2004.

Many Flight Attendants have contacted the APFA regarding a rumor that approximately 400 Flight Attendants have been terminated for calling in sick during the holidays. While there is no truth to the number of Flight Attendants terminated, APFA is aware that the Company launched a number of investigations into Flight Attendants and other employees that allegedly used their travel privileges while on the sick list. These investigations have resulted in several - not 400 - terminations. If you have been contact by the Company regarding this issue, please contact your Base Chairperson or Vice Chairperson for representation immediately.

From what I was told today, 4 have been fired in LAX, 2 in ORD and 2 in BOS. All but 2 out of the 8 had doctor's notes and now have filed a grievance to get their jobs back with backpay. If I hear anything else on this, I will pass it on.

At AA, You cant travel at all during the time you are on the sick list....You must be cleared in order to Non Rev.....It's really a shame though with so many of us on the street that those in the company still break the rules and will probably get away with it. Although, doctors note or not, its clearly stated the you CANNOT non-rev while on the sick list.... At the very least, their flight privilidges should be revoked

Flyboy4u said:
At AA, You cant travel at all during the time you are on the sick list....You must be cleared in order to Non Rev.....It's really a shame though with so many of us on the street that those in the company still break the rules and will probably get away with it. Although, doctors note or not, its clearly stated the you CANNOT non-rev while on the sick list.... At the very least, their flight privilidges should be revoked
It used to be that if you were out on IOD or illness-such as a broken arm or leg, extended illness like cancer--and you needed to travel--death in the family or to get to a Dr's appt in another city--your Flight Service Manager could authorize travel for you.

Even these situations are now forbidden because there has been so much abuse of the policy.

Back