Flt 2924 Accident

phillyguy

Advanced
Aug 20, 2002
I was aboard Flt 2924 PHL-YUL this morning when we ran into a ground vehicle and created quite a big of damage to the vehcile and i think the driver was hurt

It was over an hour and fiftenn minutes before anyone from U even asked the passengers how we were feeling and was everyone ok. And that was the bus driver who took us back to the terminal.

The flight attendand did not get out of his seat until we were leaving the plane

The ground agents were horrible, had no idea what to do, another plane was coming, then it was not, then another plane might come but they never said what would happen.

They just gave up and started booking people who were standing around on other flights but unfortunately very few options and flights with seats available.

What a joke

Wow! What a shock! Look who that flight is operated by!

Mesa Airlines, Inc.2
Phoenix, Az.
2600 - 2999 (Regional Jets)

Mesa is the lowest paying airline there is. The turnover for flight attendants there is about three months. I'm shocked that the flight attendant was even IN his jumpseat. Anyone who follows this site knows that thier F/As are notorious for not bothering to sit in thier jumpseat (an FAA violation), along with dressing like an unmade bed.

The Express flights in PHL are not handled by US Airways, they are handled by Piedmont Airlines who pays thier agents much much less than thier mainline counterparts. The PHL station in particular has huge turnover for both gate agents and ramp agents and constantly has people training (The company tried to hire even lower paid, seperate workers for the MidAtlantic flights, but had to raise the pay $2 because of the "quality of applicants.")

It's unfortunate that this incident happened, but even more unfortunate that it was handled so poorly. We now have customers who never came in a contact with a SINGLE US Airways employee but will likely never fly US again.

US Airways is getting what they paid for by using these cheap, high turnover, contract employees.

I hope the driver is doing OK, and if anyone has an update please share it with us.

You may want to contact the FAA..Federal Aviation Administration and share this incident/accident with them...Not just for your own well being but the well being and safety of future passengers,etc...

I believe whoever operated the flight should have asked if anyone was injured...If you get hit by a car, does not someone make sure you do not have an injury?....Does a police officer not take down the informatio, in case there is a lawsuit stemming from injuries?

This is horrible...

phillyguy said:
I was aboard Flt 2924 PHL-YUL this morning when we ran into a ground vehicle and created quite a big of damage to the vehcile and i think the driver was hurt

It was over an hour and fiftenn minutes before anyone from U even asked the passengers how we were feeling and was everyone ok. And that was the bus driver who took us back to the terminal.

The flight attendand did not get out of his seat until we were leaving the plane

The ground agents were horrible, had no idea what to do, another plane was coming, then it was not, then another plane might come but they never said what would happen.

They just gave up and started booking people who were standing around on other flights but unfortunately very few options and flights with seats available.

What a joke
[post="195435"][/post]​

Did the aircraft run into the ground vehicle or did the vehicle run into the aircraft? At all airports it is accepted practice that aircraft always have the right-of-way.

Just remember, US paid Mesa $232,000,000 last year to operate 50 RJs.

From an inflight perspective, I'm amazed that the F/A didn't check to see if everyone was okay. There should have been alot of paperwork to fill out in an incident like that.

So who pays for the damage? Mesa Airlines? Or US Airways/Piedmont? Should I even ask?

Who loses the confidence of the traveling public? Mesa Airlines? No, US Airways.

Light Years said:
So who pays for the damage? Mesa Airlines? Or US Airways/Piedmont? Should I even ask?
[post="195467"][/post]​

Well, as part of the "fee for departure" agreement, US pays for hull insurance. So if no other company can be put on the spot (fuel vendor, etc) then I presume tha US does if we self-insure or the insurance company if we purchase coverage.

Jim

1. It seemed like the driver of the vehicle was hurt - he was in the vehicle for a long time being attended to

2. Not sure if the vehicle was moving or not -it was off the taxi way after the accident.

3. I am still shocked that a plane with +/- people could hit something and clearly injury someone (the driver of the truck) and USAir, Mesa, Philadelphia police bothered to ask if anyone needed medical attention.

4. Further to annoy the situation, they started with
a. we have a plane in range we will use to to make up this flight - never materialized - nor did they tell people that it was not going to happen
b. we have a plane in the hanger we are trying to get permission to use - never happened, nor did they tell people that it was not going to happen
c. they gave out food vouchers - but supposedly most of the vendors in F would not honor them (don't know that for a fact -just heard others complain). U said you could go to C and use them but don't go to far away from the gate in case we get a plane
d. the supervisor tried to get the passengers in the club, but the club refused.
e. so a few lucky folks got on the next flight ( I rebooked driectly with US1 desk) but most either got stuck on standby for 5pm flight or sent to Air Canada, or routed through Chicago on UAL.

What a company

I would have asked to speak directly with either the Concourse manager, or the hub manager. That would have been your most effective means of getting some attention to this matter. If I could not have gotten either of them, I would have called consumer affairs pronto and maybe they could have gotten somebody of stature to come down and help with the situation.

With regards to the F/A staying in the jumpseat, if the pilot didn't say anything to the F/A about a run-in with a vehicle via interphone or announcement, then he might have assumed that there was a ground hold, or that you did not have clearance for push-back.

I would have asked to speak directly with either the Concourse manager, or the hub manager. That would have been your most effective means of getting some attention to this matter. If I could not have gotten either of them, I would have called consumer affairs pronto and maybe they could have gotten somebody of stature to come down and help with the situation.

I don't think the issue is whether or not a single passenger got served effectively when a flight got cancelled. In fact, I would argue that a passenger, in this incident, should be overwhelmed by employees attempting to fix a bad situation. He or she should not have to go looking for someone to fix this.

My feeling is the BIGGER issue is this was a situation handled incredibly poorly by all concerned.

It's not necessarily the fact that the non-USAirways-mainline employees are paid poorly, though that does have something to do with it. Sometimes you do get what you pay for in the way of employees.

Pay someone well and treat them fairly and they will generally bust their tail to do the right thing for your company. Jerk them around and pay them a pittance and watch them adopt the attitude that "they don't pay me enough to put up with that BS".

The overarching issue, though, is THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU FARM OUT YOUR FLYING TO SOMEONE ELSE WITH DIFFERENT GOALS, INCENTIVES, AND ATTITUDES.

Something goes wrong with a USAirways operation, I would imagine that those whose paycheck says "USAirways" at the top of it will take the threat of losing repeat business seriously. Besides, those folks will feel badly that their company has not met expectations and try to remedy it.

If the plane says "USAirways" and the paycheck says "Mesa", who (among the Mesa employees) really gives a rat's ---???

You have other folks fly airplanes around with youe name on the side but no quality control......as management has sown, so shall they reap.

Although Express has many wonderful employees, the F-concourse operation at PHL is embarrasing. As is gate 35A in PHL.

As in appropiate as it may be for me to use this serious (and potentially tragic) episode in the discussion regarding the future of the company and its treatment of its employees, the express operation is so horrible is in large part due to the low pay and high turnover of the employees. I fear that if mainline is succesful in lowering pay, benefits, and working conditions to commuter strandards, mainline wil ocme to look like express.

How loyal will our customers be then?

Relax...............It's all part of the amazing transformation plan :lol: !!

A transformation from an airline with proud & dedicated employees to a cheap and crappy non-sched with employees who just don't care :down: .

But think of all the money UAIR will save and all the REVENUE that they will lose <_< .

Simply BRILLIANT :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dont call me Shirley said:
Although Express has many wonderful employees, the F-concourse operation at PHL is embarrasing. As is gate 35A in PHL.

As in appropiate as it may be for me to use this serious (and potentially tragic) episode in the discussion regarding the future of the company and its treatment of its employees, the express operation is so horrible is in large part due to the low pay and high turnover of the employees. I fear that if mainline is succesful in lowering pay, benefits, and working conditions to commuter strandards, mainline wil ocme to look like express.

How loyal will our customers be then?
[post="195679"][/post]​

I could not agree more. The EXPERIENCED employees at US are the finest in the industry, and you are the main reason we loyal frequent fliers stay. I share the fear that the Terminal F syndrome will spread, and along with it, a mass exodus of your best customers....

This is an issue we at FFOCUS are attempting to address.....

My best to you all........

Latest posts