Food For Thought: Lower Pay Or No Job?

usairrwe said:
I will walk away when I am good and ready and also when I vote NO... got it...now get over it
[post="185353"][/post]​

It's employees like yourself that make working at U stressful for those who are optimistic. Sounds to me that your on the bottom and maybe out the door anyway. Couldn't happen soon enough so others can continue to strive..... Do what makes you feel good about yourself but I can't see how anger is a positive emotion for anyone around you.

Ch. 12 said:
Mwereplanes-

Isn't it management that is trying to cut costs? They cannot cut fuel costs and cutting remedial costs will have no significant effect. So if they are unable to get concessions, I don't think you can blame them. They ARE trying. Now it's your turn.

Everyone else-

This is a refreshing thread...so far. I think the majority opinion is finally being heard in at least one thread! While management may not be the best, it is crisis mode and I'm glad that there may be some hope. I hope the best for everyone in these tough times.
[post="185351"][/post]​

You have union leaders who have college degrees and people who keep them. These people are being very vocal telling everyone to just say no, why? Because they can financially knowing they will not perish financially. This goes for others on here who also have other means of survival, and back up plans.

Don't listen to these hate fill individuals, you're better off going to a satanic church if you want to fill your mind with such hate.

You do what is in your own personal best interest because you and you along care more about what happens to you.

I don't care what your union leaders are saying, they are fallible human beings no different than you are only with big egos.

Others who want to shut her down are filled with so many negative emotions they are not thinking rationally. Remember, these are FACTS like one union smack on here likes to say all the time.

Times are tough and why many middle aged college educated people are going back to night school to get that master degree not just for more money, but to stay employed, another FACT.

Others on here telling you what the plan is and that it won’t make a difference. The last time I looked Jesus Christ died and he alone was capable of seeing into the future with accuracy.

Do what "YOU" must do and to hell with all the big mouths on here, it's your life, and NOT theirs.

As Dr. Phil so aptly put it the other day....Anger is a direct result stemming from:
HURT, PAIN, FEAR, and FRUSTRATION. I doubt there is a single U employee out there who hasn't felt some, or all of these emotions. It's how you direct your anger that puts you ahead or behind.

Good Luck to you usairwe :)

planejane said:
It's employees like yourself that make working at U stressful for those who are optimistic. Sounds to me that your on the bottom and maybe out the door anyway. Couldn't happen soon enough so others can continue to strive..... Do what makes you feel good about yourself but I can't see how anger is a positive emotion for anyone around you.
[post="185360"][/post]​

I am not on the bottom, and I work at the ATO, day in and day out....sounds to me that you mame are close to being out the door, and or never have worked in the Airport environment... I am not negative at work and I give all the paxs the best I have to give in a fast and efficent manner...come spend 1 shift with me at the airport and know what I go thru.. I have had many positions within this company, from Res. to Ramp...only four positions I have not had and that is Pax Service manager, a mechanic, a Flight attendant, and pilot..... can you say the same?... I have looked at the overall operation and make my statements accordingly.... can you say the same?....

If you can, then you know that I am right..... if you cannot then I suggest you get out of your own little world/work area and get a clue.... BTW how many years do you have with the company?....

planejane

Management has blown the stress level through the roof, not the employees.

Where is there any optimism? How can there be any optimism, especially in Res? The only optimism is that the outsourcing will begin soon. The only thing that is a for sure is that the paycuts and cuts in benefits will be coming soon with no hope of pay raises or regaining benefits, vacation or sick time in the future. Boy, that's really something to be optimistic about. The "others" will not strive as you suggest, they will STARVE!

You must not have been employed at US for very long. It seems that you are out of touch. You must not have been here long enough to realize what this company's MO is.

I have ZERO time with U, however many many years closely assoicated with airlines. Just flew international on U and had a great experience. Flight was full and your employees were happy and optimistic. However, I want to just add that it seemed apparent that in PIT, more negativatity was visible and to some degree I can fully understand why. My hard earned money was spent on 3 roundtrip international fares and helped to pay your salary. You are the sterotype that we customers are hearing about. I'm glad I did not pass your way, my trip may have had a different outcome......Like the previous poster - it will be the way you utililize your angre that will predict your future.

planejane said:
I have ZERO time with U, however many many years closely assoicated with airlines. Just flew international on U and had a great experience. Flight was full and your employees were happy and optimistic. However, I want to just add that it seemed apparent that in PIT, more negativatity was visible and to some degree I can fully understand why. My hard earned money was spent on 3 roundtrip international fares and helped to pay your salary. You are the sterotype that we customers are hearing about. I'm glad I did not pass your way, my trip may have had a different outcome......Like the previous poster - it will be the way you utililize your angre that will predict your future.
[post="185369"][/post]​

Let me assure you that I am not the sterotype you are hearing about, cause I do not let any emotion show at work... as I do my job with the professionalism and the care that I afford all my paxs... So if you did pass my way, and of course you would never had known... your outcome would not have been any different.... I am glad you had a wonderful experience

Planejane: That is not really a fair or accurate statement to make about Pit based employees. One can encounter a disgruntled employee at ANY station/Hub/base at any given day or time. Also the REVERSE is quite true. Not all PIT employees have a bad attitude just as not all CLT employees singing in the sunshine.

Sounds to me that you have already PRE-determined your attidude towards PIT and who knows maybe your trip(s) would have been worse, NOT BECAUSE OF THEM, but because of YOUR attitude. <_< :eek:

Thank you.

I just have one serious question that I would like you to answer without the mgt bashing which really is not the issue anymore. Here goes......

If you know what the future is bringing your way and there is no hope, as some say, why does a rational person want to stay employed at U? If the employees truly believe the "grass is greener on the other side" why not jump the fence now? If you all continue to assume the end is near anyway, where are you going to? Why not go there now? I have many collegues at different airlines and their positionings are not any better. Please inform all the non-U readers where life is getting any better for the majority right now.

I will also continue to utilize U when fares are balanced. I personally feel that when the pay structure is implemented and mgt does react responsibly, U can survive.

Good luck to you all.

planejane said:
Thank you.

I just have one serious question that I would like you to answer without the mgt bashing which really is not the issue anymore. Here goes......

If you know what the future is bringing your way and there is no hope, as some say, why does a rational person want to stay employed at U? If the employees truly believe the "grass is greener on the other side" why not jump the fence now? If you all continue to assume the end is near anyway, where are you going to? Why not go there now? I have many collegues at different airlines and their positionings are not any better. Please inform all the non-U readers where life is getting any better for the majority right now.

I will also continue to utilize U when fares are balanced. I personally feel that when the pay structure is implemented and mgt does react responsibly, U can survive.

Good luck to you all.
[post="185375"][/post]​

Planejane-

Traditionally, it has been unheard of for more than a handful of long time airline employees to move on to other jobs either in, or outside of, the airline industry. Seniority has always been the key to a enjoying airline employment.

Many here, including you, are saying to move where the grass is greener thinking you are issuing some sort of "put up or shut up" challenge. The fact is that many of us are actively seeking employment elsewhere. It would be senseless to just quit and THEN go look for work. I say, ride the dying horse until it expires or a better ride comes along. I've got 25 years as a pilot here, and have sent several applications to carefully selected companies. If one offers a job, color me GONE. If one of my "choice" companies does not come through, I will continue to ride the dying horse and watch for other opportunities. If I'm still at USairways when it liquidates, I will cross that bridge with great confidence that the sun will continue to rise and that other doors will open. Maybe not the doors I am particularly looking to open, but opportunities just the same.

So don't continue to pontificate to those of us who have made this decision not to jump ship just because you say so. These are OUR jobs to keep to the end or cast off as we see fit. Not you.

At the current rate of concessions in 2 more years the employees of USAir will not have anything left to give back to management.

You can work for FREE and that still cannot overcome bad management!

planejane said:
Thank you.

Good luck to you all.
[post="185375"][/post]​

Why jump the fence after putting in 20 yrs?... I have alot vested and I will get a vote, then its my choice....I never said that life was getting anybetter any where else, all I have said is that instead of making employees feel like liabilities and continue to live with the constant threat of liquidation and or shut down and or more and more salary cuts, why does management not look at our stengths and look at our ideas and see the benefit of them?... We as employees know damn well how to run this airline and have proven it time and time again....

Is it not everyones expectation that salaries will rise and cost of living will rise and all that associated will rise?... Then why would we not expect our salaries to rise as well?.... employees have taken the hit one time to many.... Management needs to run the airline with what they have been given twice and in some instantces 3 times....

Change needs to occur that is a given, but before they come to employees again Corp. change must occur, that is why alot of the employees are suggesting a trustee to run the company.... Someone also needs to be posted by the back door so they cannot run off with money.....and please tell me that has not happen before?.... can you say Siegel, Gangwall, Wolff and schofield... hell I will even go far back as Colodney.... you also have some VP as making almost 4 million a year (according to the Washington Post) is that right?....I not saying that every one should make the same, but be resoneable... Some people have stated that its only right that we have honored their contract, but again what is good for the goose is good for the gander... Honor ours......

Recently the company has clamped down on not essential travel re: seminars and convention type travel, but we still have almost 791 corp type people and their dependents and parents flying space positive first class bumping Revenue pax so they can go on Vacation ( I see everyday so I know it is happening)...can you even imagine how much revenue is lost because of this?... Let me tell you... recently I had one of those Paxs and they wanted me to book them 4 PS 1stclass tkts to FCO.... and 4 PS 1stclass back out of MAD (acucally only had 3 seats avail on the return) Told her it was not avail, and she let it be known that it will for her become avail... and that she would take care of it...

I have become resistant to the tirrates of Management and their threats, Now I welcome them, bring it on...

nycbusdriver said:
Planejane-

So don't continue to pontificate to those of us who have made this decision to jump ship just because you say so. These are OUR jobs to keep to the end or cast off as we see fit. Not you.
[post="185377"][/post]​

Couldn't have made that statment clearer myself :up:

Employee cuts alone will not lower US Airways unit costs enough to survive, but it buys the company time to implement the structural changes needed to compete and thrive. For example, there must be improvements in flight crew productivity to increase aircraft utilization by 15%. This will lower the CASM by one cent, a huge difference and is expected to occur in mid-February, when seasonal traffic picks up.

It would be catastrophic to significantly increase ASM’s during the slow travel season with passengers booking away from the company.

Facility consolidation, lease rejection, simplified booking, IT improvements, eventual MDA/PSA growth, 75% point-to-point flying ,and the FLL expansion are all positive developments that will lower costs.

It is true that lower labor costs will not save the airline itself, but it will help and buys the airline time to fully restructure.

Regardless of what happens, it’s nonsense to suggest it’s better to have no job while looking for a job than to have a job while looking for a job. Regardless of what the final number is, 80 to 85% of something is better than nothing because it’s better to have part of the pie than no pie. In addition, new labor accords permit employees to obtain profit sharing checks, which are still on the table.

Even if a person gets furloughed it’s better to agree to the cuts. Why? A furloughed employee can receive severance pay, COBRA medical, pass privileges that can be used for a job search or pleasure, recall rights, and hopefully J4J, if desired.

It serves no useful purpose to “shut the place downâ€￾ due to anger and frustration. If the cuts are unacceptable than an employee should resign and permit those who want to work at a restructured company the opportunity to do so. If US Airways fails the only winners will be the competition.

JAMAKE1, I appreciate your candid comments and I agree with your thoughts. This whole situation sucks and I wish you the best of luck.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

USA320,

If increasing airplane utilization by 15% decreases the CASM on mainline...

Then what does RJ flying do to the CASMS with more of these type of a/c deliveries as part of the future plan as well?

I don't suspect you will answer such a direct question.

Latest posts

Back