For AirTran Employees

N944AT

Aug 26, 2002
Hi,
I was wondering if AirTran uses the "Long" beverage trolleys or short ones on their DC-9. On Northwest, they only use short ones for beverage service flights, and I think it''s odd a lowfare airline like AirTran would use long "meal service" carts just for a beverage service.
Thanks

Yes, we use the long carts. Two F/As work one cart together. 717-style carts are starting to find their way onto the DC-9s but, as we all know, the 9s will be gone in just over a year. BTW, the Delta-nines have no carts at all so beverages are hand carried from gallies fore and aft. AirTran (as was ValuJet) is heavily populated with former Eastern people so many of our procedures, like use of long carts for beverage service, are holdovers from "The Great Silver Fleet."

Do they use just one cart for Coach? Or do they use two. I assume that Business Class has tray service. Also, with most of the Ex-Delta DC-9's gone, AirTran's DC-9's all have Carts now I assume.

Just one. When I've suggested on short, full flights that we use two carts, I was met with looks of, "You must be crazy!" Don't know why. I think there are still a few Delta-birds around.

Thanks for your help. I will have to aquire a copy of the old Eastern Flight Attendants Manual, as having an AirTran one (I'm not an employee) would be illegal. I am pursing a career with AirTran Airways after Graduation.