From Now On, Passengers Can't Complain

Dec 2, 2003
I've read with a mixture of sadness and amazement the stories of passengers who were inconvenienced (and worse) over the Christmas holidays by the sick-out/work action/ whatever you want to call it by some U employees. And I've read that PHL is notorious for issues, especially regarding lost baggage, rude employees, etc etc.

It is too bad that so many holidays were ruined by the actions of a few. However, from now on, I have to say to the people who fly US Airways (especially through PHL): You can't complain anymore. When you want to fly in February from BUF to FLL, and you have a choice between U, WN, or B6, and you select U because it is $20 cheaper than WN or B6, and you have to connect through PHL, don't come on here whining when your flight is 3 hours late, you miss your connection, the employees are unhelpful and rude, and your bag doesn't show up for 3 days.

Because guess what? That's business as usual at US Airways through PHL. The entire nation is now aware of this, and to all those that select U in the future, just remember that old saying:

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice..... well, you know the rest.

I feel really, and truly, sorry for those that tried their hardest to make things right over the holidays. Hopefully you will find employment elsewhere that will make up for this misery. And to those who decided to screw the travel plans of so many: Message received loud and clear. Avoid U at all cost, because as a paying customer I don't want to play Russian roulette with my business trip/vacation/family reunion/wedding/funeral/any other reason I might need to fly. And to all those who choose U in the future to get them (and their bags) where they need to go: Don't count on it, and certainly don't complain when it doesn't happen. You should have known better....

biztraveller29 said:
I've read with a mixture of sadness and amazement the stories of passengers who were inconvenienced (and worse) over the Christmas holidays by the sick-out/work action/ whatever you want to call it by some U employees.

MOD NOTE- Please do not quote AN ENTIRE post especially the one just prior to your posting. Thanks.

[post="236044"][/post]​
blah blah blah . go suck on an egg. :down:

So ETOPS, I guess you don't really care about the two little kids I saw crying at DCA on Dec. 24 because their flight home was cancelled. Nice holiday cheer... …Time for you to move on and find a new job.

Biztraveler, good point.

To all US employees - What do you want us customers to do? I'm booking travel for the next three months. Should I stick with US Airways and take the chance of liquidation at the hands of a few crazed employees?

You know, it really wouldn't be hard for US to re-do the routings on their domestic fares to only allow connections in PHL on middle/high fares.

Make the only available routing on the junk fares through CLT/PIT/DCA, and then on middle/high fares allow routings through PHL.

Yea its too bad that all those people were inconveinced during the holidays, but have you, or any of them, given a second thought to all the thousands of airline employees who have lost their jobs? I guess that their Holidays were not that great either, but do you care?

How about those that remain, toiling away on the Holidays so you can go have a good time, did you ever consider them? At one time we were well compensated and figured that in as "part of the package". But because you want to fly for less than it costs to drive they took all the good stuff out of the package and left the crap.

While you were going off to have fun, thanks to your disposable income did you ever consider how those inconsiderate airline employees have been losing all their disposable income, so they dont get to have vacations that are "ruined" anymore? How about what your cheap ticket cost them? Did you ever think about that?

You try and claim that it was the "actions of a few", thats doubtful, in order for operations to get that messed up there has to be widespread resentment. It was not just people that called in sick, but the fact that most of those who did show up would not go the extra mile anymore. If they truly wanted to make it work they probably could have.

Get used to it, this is probably just the start.

djlndc said:
So ETOPS, I guess you don't really care about the two little kids I saw crying at DCA on Dec. 24 because their flight home was cancelled. Nice holiday cheer... …Time for you to move on and find a new job.

Biztraveler, good point.

To all US employees - What do you want us customers to do? I'm booking travel for the next three months. Should I stick with US Airways and take the chance of liquidation at the hands of a few crazed employees?
[post="236068"][/post]​

Of course he cares, just like you care for all the kids of all the airline employees who were crying because either their parents had no job or the had to work on Christmas. Just like you care about all the airline employees kids who can forget about college.

djlndc said:
[post="236068"][/post]​

"a few crazed employees, huh?" I take offense at that and I do not even work in Phl. The employees that called out sick or "whatever" certainly did not think of themselves as crazed, in so much as angry, sick and tired. Although their reasons may have not been what I would have chosen to do, it was their choice.

As far as the "should I stick with US airways" question, shouldn't that only be something that you can answer? Why ask the employees, we know as much as you, the flying public do. If US succeeds, then great, we all have jobs, If they do not, then trust me, we find out about the same time as you do.

And by the way, I gotta give alot of Philly employees their props. For all the years I, my family and friends have flown into or out of philly whether non-rev or rev.

I have NEVER come across rude employees. Serious! We have always been treated with respect and dignity, cause I schooled my family and friends on how to behave when non-revving . Which , by the way, is basically how one needs to behave when they pay for their ticket!

Now, as far as the sky caps, the people that work in the food court and even the stores are concerned? Yeah, I have dealt with some really sad, rude people. But I chalk that up to their problem in life, not mine.

But it is not fair to group all the employees in one catagory.

djlndc said:

Biztraveler, good point.

[post="236068"][/post]​
may i make a suggestion:

djlndc said:

Biztraveler, good point.

[post="236068"][/post]​

Or American and THEIR crazed employees with over 2000 f/a sick calls? OR the NWA flight where the passengers were stuck on the plane for 28 hours? OR Comairs "reliable" computer system?

You're gonna have to do better then that. How about alittle homework there, Howard Hughes. <_<

You know US makes most tickets non-refundable. People flying from BUF to FLL via PHL in February may have bought their tickets in early December.

You will have to wait until late December 2005 before you can truly blame the customer for buying a ticket on US after the Christmas mess.

Bob Owens said:
Yea its too bad that all those people were inconveinced during the holidays, but have you, or any of them, given a second thought to all the thousands of airline employees who have lost their jobs? I guess that their Holidays were not that great either, but do you care?

How about those that remain, toiling away on the Holidays so you can go have a good time, did you ever consider them? At one time we were well compensated and figured that in as "part of the package". But because you want to fly for less than it costs to drive they took all the good stuff out of the package and left the crap.

While you were going off to have fun, thanks to your disposable income did you ever consider how those inconsiderate airline employees have been losing all their disposable income, so they dont get to have vacations that are "ruined" anymore? How about what your cheap ticket cost them? Did you ever think about that?
You try and claim that it was the "actions of a few", thats doubtful, in order for operations to get that messed up there has to be widespread resentment. It was not just people that called in sick, but the fact that most of those who did show up would not go the extra mile anymore. If they truly wanted to make it work they probably could have.

[post="236167"][/post]​

What is your point? Yes, I feel sorry for the employees having to take pay cuts. What do you want passengers to do, slip a $20 bill to every airline employee they see?

Bob Owens said:

[post="236167"][/post]​

I'm not sure I understand the point of your rant. My point was that passengers paid $X to get themselves and their bags from point A to point B on a certain date at a certain time. And they can't complain if in the future they book with U and it doesn't happen, because everyone knows that is a possibility. And I have a question: When you shop at Wal-Mart (or any other store), are you concerned with the check-out people's disposable income? Do you say, "here's an extra $5 for what you are going through"? I highly doubt it.

And perhaps the employees who called in sick (who really weren't sick) should have thought about their fellow employee's children etc. before delivering a possible fatal blow to U.

firstamendment said:
Or American and THEIR crazed employees with over 2000 f/a sick calls? OR the NWA flight where the passengers were stuck on the plane for 28 hours? OR Comairs "reliable" computer system?

You're gonna have to do better then that. How about alittle homework there, Howard Hughes. <_<
[post="236189"][/post]​

Yeah, I didn't notice thousands of bags at AA or NW piling up, with throngs of unhappy passengers spending their holidays in an airport. Sorry.

You don't seem to realize the affect this action had on US Airways in the eyes of the paying passenger. Even today, on the way in from work, the news radio's business report here in Los Angeles mention that the machinists reached an agreement with US Airways in order to "save the airline." The following sentence was: "You'll recall US Airways was the airline that left thousands of passengers and their bags stranded over the Christmas holidays."

This will have a significant (possibly fatal) affect on U, and to be quite honest, passsengers don't give a flying #$@$ about whose "fault" it was. They simply won't book U any more. Or, at least they shouldn't if they want to be assured of getting where they want to go when they want.

Well I guess from the obnoxious responses posted here; you folks would recommend that I (US CP) should book my travel on other carriers?

You know Bob Owens and others… I’d really like to be a ski instructor or maybe a lifeguard. Or even better yet, a pilot (although I do fly a Cessna).

But you know what? These jobs don’t pay the salary I need to support my family in the lifestyle I choose. It’s a sad situation, but jobs in the airline industry have changed. You can’t blame the consumer nor can you stop technology from evolving just to protect jobs. That’s the free market. Just look where AT&T is headed. The once infallible giant is heading the way of the dinosaurs.

I wish you all the best of luck.

PS, I won’t be flying LUV.

Latest posts