Gate Agents & FA Jumpseaters from O/A

Toothy Grin

Advanced
Mar 31, 2008
I had the pleasure to work a PHX/ABQ flight and had two very nice Southwest FA's riding on the reciprocal jumpseat agreement. That's fine and very happy to oblige. However, they both told me that our gate agents sent them both back through security.

In essence, here is what happened:

S/W fa's arrived into PHX on their final flight and proceeded (made the long, long walk) to the US side of terminal 4 to catch the PHX/ABQ flight. Upon arriving at the gate the gate agents told them they would have to go outside of security and pass through TSA screening - with a pass? They tried to politely protest by saying that they thought they were to only show their badges and then fill out the jumpseater form. The reply from the gate was that there were unable to check them in CASS. No kiddn' really????

Also, if they never left security, then what difference does it make?

Anyway, is this a new proceedure? I've never heard of this and with some of the tight time frames I use when commuting I'd really be screwed if I was sent back through security to receive additional TSA screening. Also, I'm sure many of you agree that SW opening their seats to fa's is a real godsend. I'd hate to see this screwed up.

Trying to get information from a gate agent's perspecitve.

Thanks!

When you jumpseat OAL, the silly SSS code comes up, the computer thinks you are a terrorist with your sudden, one-way trip. The gate agent can cancel this out, unless they are stupid.

F/As are not in CASS, that is for pilots.

Reciprocal jumpseating is more hassle free than regular nonrevving. Call and list, fill out a form. There is nothing more to it unless the person at the gate doesn't understand what you are doing and tries to list you as a pilot, zed fare, or one of their own.

I work in the secured area and I commute on a weekly basis. When I get off work on my Friday, I have to leave the secured area and go back through security before I can board my flight home. It's policy, FAA and company. Every non-rev pax has to be screened before boarding any flight. Folks have been fired for not doing this. It's not strictly enforced but it is policy.

I work in the secured area and I commute on a weekly basis. When I get off work on my Friday, I have to leave the secured area and go back through security before I can board my flight home. It's policy, FAA and company. Every non-rev pax has to be screened before boarding any flight. Folks have been fired for not doing this. It's not strictly enforced but it is policy.

Ok, the airport I work in has 100% employee screening. Everyone goes through the tsa checkpoint before working. Are you telling me that if I get on a flight at the end of my shift, I have to get my bags, go back through tsa, and back to the gate..even if I have been screened once already?

Ok, the airport I work in has 100% employee screening. Everyone goes through the tsa checkpoint before working. Are you telling me that if I get on a flight at the end of my shift, I have to get my bags, go back through tsa, and back to the gate..even if I have been screened once already?
Correct. You and your bags have to be screened before boarding even if you went through security check point for work. I know, its sounds odd but it is policy.

That is the most moronic thing I've ever heard. If someone is in the secured area, they are already secure, having already gone through security. Duh

If that were the case, why do customers not go through security at each airport? Or flight crews?

Do you really walk outside and go through security even though you already did earlier that day?

What if your flight cancels. Do you run outside and have another sweep through security in preparation for the next flight?

If the clock passes midnight, do you leave again and go through security for that calandar day?

"Whew, shifts over! What a day! Well, my flight home is in a half an hour. I better get going so I can leave and wait in line to get back in. See ya next week!"

You seriously do this? Do you also "citizen's arrest"?

What proof is there that you went out and back again?

And, if you did, and the GA doesn't believe you do you have to do it again and again?

What proof is there that you went out and back again?

And, if you did, and the GA doesn't believe you do you have to do it again and again?

Uhh...maybe a highlighter or some initials on a BP would work...I'm not encouraging anyone to do this but TSA screening is just a theater in the views of Congress to placate Americans in saying flyings safe when this isn't so.

We can only exempt our own employees from SSSS.
I had a discussion with a TSA guy one day at STL. He told me that unless your name is on one of the government watch lists, the airline is totally responsible for the SSSS designation whether revenue or non-revenue passenger. If you don't treat OAL employees like you would expect to be treated by them, you might get your jumpseat agreement cancelled.

I know that I commute on WN a lot between STL and DAL. I have never been told to go back through screening before I can board my commuter flight. I also know that I have never seen an OAL employee sent back through screening by an AA gate agent at any airport. I remember one time that when they printed an oal commuter's boarding pass, it had the SSSS on it; however, they had the TSA people come to the gate and screen him there. He didn't have to go back to security.

I totally agree with those posters who said that if you have already been screened when you reported to work, there is no reason why you should have to leave the secured area for re-screening.

You're high... :rolleyes: Spread that panic!

It is true, two rampers in CLT were suspended and a lead utility was fired over it.

That is the most moronic thing I've ever heard. If someone is in the secured area, they are already secure, having already gone through security. Duh

So? FAs, for whatever reason, can bring in liquids in reasonable quantities when flying for work. Normal folks can't.

So, while we've all been thru security, a nonrev FA with more liquids has not been thru the same security.

I am %100 for this.

Latest posts