Gate Agents & FA Jumpseaters from O/A

EMB,

Ground employees do not have to go through security in order to get to work, there are doors that you can enter that give you access to the SIDA without going through security.

Witnesses, punchout times and check in times.
Hmm... Strange that the ground staff are held to a different standard than the flight crews. Pilots and FA's do not have to exit security after a trip to go home.....

EMB,

Ground employees do not have to go through security in order to get to work, there are doors that you can enter that give you access to the SIDA without going through security.
And yet they insist on taking my toothpaste in Manchester because it is too large. I love it. :rolleyes:

Hmm... Strange that the ground staff are held to a different standard than the flight crews. Pilots and FA's do not have to exit security after a trip to go home.....
Because flight crews go through security to get to work, ground staff doesnt.

While the airline is responsible, the TSA can access the list of who was randomly selected and fine the employee for removing SSSS"s The TSA can come to the gate and request alist and ask to see all your boarding cards. It is not worth the personal fine to remove the SSSS unless they are on the exempt list, and OAL is not.

Seems this thread is heading a little off topic..so getting back on the road again...from my understanding the fa's walked up to the gate and said the usual "I listed for this flight...I'm travelling as an OAL f/a jump seater"

To my knowledge the next step is for the agent to take a jump seat form hand it to the f/a and clear a seat for him/her when available, NOT send him/her back through security for additional screening. The SSSS designation has nothing to do with any of this.

I agree with the comments that it doesn't make sense to send flight crew or most folks back through security. Who is going to watch them...who has that much time to implement this or even bother with any of it?

I'm passing back through PHX tomorrow so I will track a manager down and have a chat about it...and I will be looking for that gate agent also.

Thank you.

Yes, the thread has crept. To summarize, you shouldn't be asked to go through security twice unless you happen upon one of maybe five complete idiots, who are clearly so dumb you can just grab a drink at Chili's and come back since there's no way to prove how many times you went through security. Also, some passengers are jealous that flight crew aren't restricted for liquids, probably the same people who complain that crew do not have to wait in line to get into their workplace. Oh, and finally, in some airports ground personnel have badges instead of going through security, so some people think they should so they can sit on the same planes they fix/clean/crawl around in the bins of, and someone in airline legend was fired for this, like a boat called Headsets. :rolleyes:

If an employees who uses his/her SIDA badge to access the airport and bypass security to go to work, then at the end of their shift catches a flight to go home as we do have commuters, they have to go through security to be screened.

Like I said there were two ramp leads in CLT suspended for failure to be screened and about 2 years later a lead utility was fired for it.

Also, some passengers are jealous that flight crew aren't restricted for liquids, probably the same people who complain that crew do not have to wait in line to get into their workplace.

In case it never occurred to you, some of us spend as much time (if not more) than flight crew (particularly reserves) on planes and at airports. It's not jealously, it's stupidity to exempt the crews. Learn to deal with what the rest of us have had to deal with--watching the crying on here is _hilarious_

In case it never occurred to you, some of us spend as much time (if not more) than flight crew (particularly reserves) on planes and at airports. It's not jealously, it's stupidity to exempt the crews. Learn to deal with what the rest of us have had to deal with--watching the crying on here is _hilarious_
You can put your crap in a checked bag, a working crew member can't. It's jealousy and stupidity on your part, or should I just say clue-less?

Where is my violin?

When you jumpseat OAL, the silly SSS code comes up, the computer thinks you are a terrorist with your sudden, one-way trip. The gate agent can cancel this out, unless they are stupid.

Just to clear a few things up. Yes, the gate agent CAN clear this up. But the option for clearing these SSSS's is only reserved for our OWN airline employees, and for special circumstances such as when we have rebooked a misconnecting passenger only to have the SSSS's appear knowing they already went through their screening at the airport of origin.

We also used to be able to clear special security screening for other badged airline employees from other airlines. That is no longer the case, the TSA issued a directive, probably over a year ago now, stating that the extra security screening designator cannot be cleared for OAL employees. We have been giving specific instructions that if an OAL employee is to show up at the gate and upon checkin receives the additional security designator, we need to send them back to the TSA. In almost all cases, this designator will be applied since it's last minute one way travel that these jumpseaters are being listed for.

I know this is a ridiculous policy, I agree completely, but it is still one that we are expected to follow. And just from the other side of things.... I nonreved on Southwest about 2 weeks ago, received the additional security screening and was no able to have it waived. It's the case on both sides now. We can only waive the security for our own employees and any of our express codeshare partners employees.

Latest posts