Gaze into the crystal ball: Las Vegas

Columbia blue

Advanced
Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Ok...National''s down for the count...and opportunities are waiting to be had. My question is what should AWA do in Las Vegas over the next six months to a year to become the dominant profitable carrier at Vegas. More importantly ..what can AWA do with limited planes and financial resourses..The demise of National gives HP an opportunity that may not be repeated. Other airlines will be going after their share (see jetblue)...what National routes could/should AWA try to grab..N7 planes ???..Interested in possible scenarios with a reasonable chance of becoming reality...

I know prior to National shutting down AA announced new non-stops to LAS-MIA and LAS-BOS. You will probably start seeing the majors moving into areas like LAS since the leisure market is starting to have more significance than it did prior to the econimic slow down.

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 11/12/2002 9:54:52 AM MiAAmi wrote:
[P]I know prior to National shutting down  AA announced new non-stops to LAS-MIA and LAS-BOS.  You will probably start seeing the majors moving into areas like LAS since the leisure market is starting to have more significance than it did prior to the econimic slow down.[/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P]Do airlines like AA and UA and DL really want to be incurring more $199 fares???[/P]

[blockquote]
----------------
On 11/12/2002 10:11:49 AM ITRADE wrote:

[BLOCKQUOTE]
----------------
On 11/12/2002 9:54:52 AM MiAAmi wrote:

I know prior to National shutting down  AA announced new non-stops to LAS-MIA and LAS-BOS.  You will probably start seeing the majors moving into areas like LAS since the leisure market is starting to have more significance than it did prior to the econimic slow down.[/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]

Do airlines like AA and UA and DL really want to be incurring more $199 fares???[/P]
----------------
[/blockquote]

If they don't then they are not adapting to the changes the airline industry is taking. If you can't stay competitive then whats the point? Don't forget mileage programs do keep customers loyal. But if I can save my miles for bigger trips and buy a $199 fare on a discount carrier I would probably do that. So in order to keep the customer the majors will have to match the discount carrier.