Getting acclimated

ChillWill

Jun 26, 2021
I'm a seasonal ramp employee. Maybe its me but I'm finding that getting basic information is hard. It seems info that should be readily given has to be pried out of people. Example: Working tdy and nobody gave me a time card or told me how to fill it out and who to send it to to get paid, how to claim expenses, etc. Had I not asked who knows when I would have found out. There are other examples but I don't want to make the post too lengthy. Maybe my expectations are off because I'm used to getting more information than not in my other occupation. Is this an airline cultural thing? Seriously.

I'm a seasonal ramp employee. Maybe its me but I'm finding that getting basic information is hard. It seems info that should be readily given has to be pried out of people. Example: Working tdy and nobody gave me a time card or told me how to fill it out and who to send it to to get paid, how to claim expenses, etc. Had I not asked who knows when I would have found out. There are other examples but I don't want to make the post too lengthy. Maybe my expectations are off because I'm used to getting more information than not in my other occupation. Is this an airline cultural thing? Seriously.

A Number of things to be considered here ChillWill.

First, without revealing the station, what state are you in ?

Are you working FOR AA or American Eagle ?

If your NOT working for AA or AE, are you working for a sh*t contractor ?

I've worked a couple of stations, both in different regions. Same thing. I'm direct, not a contractor.

That's helpful, thank you.
Some of that comes from the concept of "ignorant people are easier to manipulate and control". The company does not like UNION employees being too privy to procedures and policies. For instance policy states you are supposed to have 2 people working LAV truck, how often do you think they ever actually have two people in the LAV truck? Then when you back into a jet and cause damage because you didn't have a spotter it is YOUR fault for not following procedure even though management AND the UNION turned a blind eye to it for YEARS!!!!

Another part is rules change from station to station, title group to title group, shop to shop, shift to shift, and even low to high seniority. Sometimes people don't help because half of them are clueless as to what the hell is going on. They don't want to give information because you may be following a different set of "house rules" than they are.

Welcome to American Airlines.

I've worked a couple of stations, both in different regions. Same thing. I'm direct, not a contractor.
I assure you American Eagle and American Airlines are NOT the same thing. There is a HUGE pay discrepancy between the companies, even though there shouldn't be.

Some of that comes from the concept of "ignorant people are easier to manipulate and control". The company does not like UNION employees being too privy to procedures and policies. For instance policy states you are supposed to have 2 people working LAV truck, how often do you think they ever actually have two people in the LAV truck? Then when you back into a jet and cause damage because you didn't have a spotter it is YOUR fault for not following procedure even though management AND the UNION turned a blind eye to it for YEARS!!!!

Another part is rules change from station to station, title group to title group, shop to shop, shift to shift, and even low to high seniority. Sometimes people don't help because half of them are clueless as to what the hell is going on. They don't want to give information because you may be following a different set of "house rules" than they are.

Holy CHIT' La La. BOY do I AGREE with you on this one !!

Thanks for the insight. Information is definitely hard to come by.