Give Me A Fricking Break

Bottom line is this:
Providing a floral arrangement or bible was a local lodge bylaw.
Written and approved by the local lodge members (the Union).
If that has been changed to no longer send them, then it had to be done through action taken by the local lodge membership. That means that the Union Membership, not the IAM or it's Officers or Local E Board, VOTED and decided not to continue to send arrangements or bibles.
That makes us, the MEMEBERS, not the Union amoral as was suggested in other posts.
Truth is, as co workers, members and more importantly BROTHERS & SISTERS (not just Union, but in our communities and on this planet) we could as was also suggested come up with a card, a call or a few bucks to take care of our own anytime there is an unfortunate event in life of one of our own.

fatherof2 said:
The Local Union does not furnish flowers or a Bible any more. the Local Lodge claims that they being fiscally responsible. They also claim that with the fight against U, all monies must be focussed on that fight.
What a CROCK! How much can a simple arrangement cost? Something to say that we are there for them in their time of sorrow? 20 or 30 bucks tops? Its 1 thing to be screwed by the company, but then to turn around and get #### slapped by the very union we have paid our dues to is too much!
I am a PROUD union member, but today I am ashamed of my Local union, for using these already trying times to screw their loyal members when they need them most.
[post="236920"][/post]​
SO TAKE UP A COLLECTION AND SHOW THEM! ;)

i97 said:
Bottom line is this:
Providing a floral arrangement or bible was a local lodge bylaw.
Written and approved by the local lodge members (the Union).
If that has been changed to no longer send them, then it had to be done through action taken by the local lodge membership. That means that the Union Membership, not the IAM or it's Officers or Local E Board, VOTED and decided not to continue to send arrangements or bibles.
That makes us, the MEMEBERS, not the Union amoral as was suggested in other posts.
Truth is, as co workers, members and more importantly BROTHERS & SISTERS (not just Union, but in our communities and on this planet) we could as was also suggested come up with a card, a call or a few bucks to take care of our own anytime there is an unfortunate event in life of one of our own.
[post="237189"][/post]​

Well you say it had to be voted on by the members, was it? Your statement is not clear "If it was changed,,then it had to".

The excuse that the International takes all the money is not a good excuse, I believe that with the IAM its 60% for the International and 40% for the local. That should be more than $2 per member.

Locals can run in the red, simply borrow the money from the International. Unions are not supposed to be for profit, figure how much of your dues were sent to the International over the years with little in return. Or tell the International that since they take most of the money they need to take over the Bibles, or if the Local is too small to the point where they can no longer provide services for their members then dissolve it into a larger Local. Whats more important keeping Local officers in their positions at small by financially crippled locals or having a viable local?

You believe wrong, the International and the District get thier per capita tax and the local for someone paying $34-$39 a month in dues, the local gets like $2 a month.

Monthly Per Capita Tax Set for 2005
The Grand Lodge monthly per capita tax for 2005 will be $20.26, reports GST Warren L. Mart in a letter to all IAM District and Local Lodges. The figure is based on computations from 816 lodges using the memberships’ average hourly earnings as of August 31, 2004.

The IAM Constitution mandates that the minimum per capita tax to District Lodges shall be equal to forty percent of the Grand Lodge per capita tax rounded to the nearest five percent. Based on the 2005 Grand Lodge per capita tax of $20.26, the minimum District Lodge per capita tax will be $8.10. This represents an increase of 10 cents over 2004.

Back