Go Specter! Save PIT and Our Integrety!

I spoke to Sen. Specter myself yesterday and to say he was PO'd is an understatement. Oh many. Not in my party but was a very nice man. Regardless of campaign monies he was dead on with his being p!ssed.

Again, big deal! What can he as a Senator do? He'll huff and puff, fool some people into maybe voting for him next time he's up for re-election. He'll look good on the TV sound bites and in print, and if / when SW adds more PIT flights he'll be there for the photo-op. When push comes to shove all US has to do is throw some $$$ his way and he'll stop his tamper tantrum.

Congressman Tim Murphy-PA-18 said the same thing at last fridays AFA meeting...Next time US needs something those on Capital Hill will think twice. He said that US always lets them know what they're doing AFTER the fact......from what I got from his statement at the Local 40 meeting, those in Washington are sick of it. Murphy even stated that if employees have to quit/are fired due to not being able to commute, he will assist in getting them unemployment and retraining.

I think it's safe to say that from polititians to employees to passengers EVERYONE is over Usairways. They screw polititians, employees and customers yet will turn to them as soon as they need something. It's BS and definitely wearing thin.

I got the vibe that Spector is really mad for the loss of small community air sevice. All sorts of people will replace the florida and big city stuff but lets not forget that the vast majority of reduction was regional jet service. Southwest will never fly to Franklin etc.

If he does not know that Southwest will not serve these markets someone needs to tell him about their service patterns. Small comunities need to pull in hub carriers and/or allegiant.

It amazes me how many small towns forget that Southwest does not start off with one route and/or one flight. They have a minimum number of flights and cities that the town must have enough O&D for.

If you have a huge population good for you, but if you are a town of 30,000 get your head out of the clouds and be realistic.

Speaking of O&D I wonder if WN would consider cities such as AVP or MDT. They have a decent sized population for a few flights. I think the nail was hit on the head with the politicians being PO'd over the smaller cities losing service that WN or most others wouldn't serve.

Senator Specter is pissed off, and I don't doubt that. But Doogie has him over a barrel and they both know it. As long as PHL remains our big, international hub and as long as PHL remains geographically located in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Senator Specter will have to lend his grudging support now and then. There are more voters in Philadelphia than in Pittsburgh; a fact that is not lost on Senator Specter.

Those of us in Pennsylvania know what Specter can accomplish. And that is nothing. For a senator who has been in Washington over 30 years he has passed nothing, and is known by Americans for his Single Bullet Theory!

Speaking of O&D I wonder if WN would consider cities such as AVP or MDT. They have a decent sized population for a few flights. I think the nail was hit on the head with the politicians being PO'd over the smaller cities losing service that WN or most others wouldn't serve.

I believe I read in the AVP newsletter recently that WN is now offering some charter flights out of AVP. Perhaps they are testing the market potential. I'm sure WN would do very well there, and lord knows they have enough gate space!!!

Senator Specter is pissed off, and I don't doubt that. But Doogie has him over a barrel and they both know it. As long as PHL remains our big, international hub and as long as PHL remains geographically located in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Senator Specter will have to lend his grudging support now and then. There are more voters in Philadelphia than in Pittsburgh; a fact that is not lost on Senator Specter.

Uhh, what makes you think that people in PHL would vote against Specter for refusing to support US Airways?

Newsflash: US needs PHL a helluva lot more than PHL needs US.

Clue you are soooooo right. As many preach about Pittsburgh and the comments fly like, "Where's all the other airlines" when it comes to replacing Usairways in Pittsburgh. THAT wouldn't be the case for PHL. The int'l market is OBVIOUSLY there with "all that O&D" to constitute bringing in other carriers. I highly DOUBT US would EVER cut service there due to it bringing in the revenue that it does. The city and the state for that matter could tell US to pound salt. Other carriers would CERTAINLY step in and fill most if not all of the void there. I'd tell US to go $crew themselves if I were the state of PA. :lol:

the plane was struck in the air leaving philadelphia to ft. lauderdale. they came back to philly and was recrewed with another airplane. it then took off 90 minutes later with the senator onboard. knowing from pepole involved he showed nothing but respect for the employees working with him.

Again, big deal! What can he as a Senator do? He'll huff and puff, fool some people into maybe voting for him next time he's up for re-election. He'll look good on the TV sound bites and in print, and if / when SW adds more PIT flights he'll be there for the photo-op. When push comes to shove all US has to do is throw some $$$ his way and he'll stop his tamper tantrum.
The rest of us have commuting to that armpit of the world called pensylvania for decades....welcome to the real world ladies!!!

Clue you are soooooo right. As many preach about Pittsburgh and the comments fly like, "Where's all the other airlines" when it comes to replacing Usairways in Pittsburgh. THAT wouldn't be the case for PHL. The int'l market is OBVIOUSLY there with "all that O&D" to constitute bringing in other carriers. I highly DOUBT US would EVER cut service there due to it bringing in the revenue that it does. The city and the state for that matter could tell US to pound salt. Other carriers would CERTAINLY step in and fill most if not all of the void there. I'd tell US to go $crew themselves if I were the state of PA. :lol:

If PA did tell The U to pound sand how many people do you think would move to CLT or PHX?

Lighten up-there are plenty of your co-workers who know how it feels and can help w/ the transition.

The commute to PHL is much shorter than the commute to PHX.

Latest posts

Back