Good to be the King!

The official explanation:

[blockquote]
*************************************​
I do appreciate your support and your note of concern. It seems my travel did cause a bit of a stir.

The inaccurate story has me bumping First Class passengers off the airplane at the last minute and not caring about the travel vouchers issued to some passengers who volunteered to travel on a later flight.

The truth is that I booked my flights more than a month in advance when seats were available. Unfortunately, I arrived late to the gate and prior to my arrival three coach oversales had been handled according to policy. The three passengers were then accommodated on the next flight.

My three-year-old son and I took our assigned seats in coach. I was never made aware of the oversale situation. Had I been informed about the overbooking, I would have been more than willing to wait a couple of hours to catch the next flight.

I will tell you that I appreciate the concern expressed by employees, even if the rumor mill is, as is often the case, full of erroneous information. The reaction shows that employees do recognize the difficult financial situation we are in and that's very encouraging as we enter into a period of collaborative discussions on how to achieve the cost savings we need to operate successfully in the new marketplace.

I appreciate you and our colleagues continuing to look for every opportunity to help us cut costs and increase revenue as well. After our ongoing commitment to safety, this is job number one at American in the critical weeks ahead.

Sincerely,
Don Carty
*************************************​
[/blockquote]

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/21/2003 4:35:37 PM WingNaPrayer wrote:

Pardon me but...

[h4][font color=red]BULL$HIT![/h4]
----------------
[/blockquote]
As I said - the man just can't win.

I believe his letter to be sincere. As far as I am concerned case closed.
I will also like to add that even though AA senior management has not performed during the last decade or so (especially during the fat years of the mid 90’s) this is not the time to go looking for our version of "Tiltonâ€￾.
That might be idiotic;what is sorely needed is an infusion of some new blood, and new ideas.The difficulty arises from the fact that such talent will not come cheap and unfortunately might not want to involve themselves in the airline industry debacle.
It might be to late to "recruit".
AA needs to acknowledge the mistakes and above all stop working against workers rights in Congress. They need to actively oppose this bill.
If not, I am afraid no matter if they succeed in their endeavors or not, the only thing they will hear back from their employees is " .. .... ..........".
Management is greatly underestimating the damage that is done by their stand on this.

Good post, Limit...especially the part about fresh ideas.

So what are they? I'm not being a smart-aleck -- what are the fresh ideas? UA and DL are going to that old "carrier within a carrier" which they MIGHT be able to pull off because DL has only one union to worry about and UA's about to negate all the other contracts.

I see posts on any number of message boards talking about how we need "fresh ideas" but I don't see many fresh ideas suggested (other than getting rid of the CEO, firing all of management, somehow turning back time to not buy TWA and, interestingly enough, eliminating waste).

This seems like as good a place as any to turn on the creative juices -- how would YOU reorganize AA?

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/22/2003 7:02:32 AM flygal4500 wrote:

-- how would YOU reorganize AA?

----------------
[/blockquote]

Bankrupt it, close it, and start over from scratch.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/22/2003 7:37:36 AM WingNaPrayer wrote:

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/22/2003 7:02:32 AM flygal4500 wrote:

-- how would YOU reorganize AA?

----------------
[/blockquote]

Bankrupt it, close it, and start over from scratch.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Is your last name "Lorenzo" by any chance? Sounds like I've heard that strategy before.

OK.
Here is my plan.
I would hire me,sign for a huge salary and bonus, plenty of benefits,made sure I got a great severance package ( just in case), then I would cut all your salaries and benefits .Then I would chastise all the nonbelievers and asked them " whats your plan "?
Do you guys think I need an MBA for that?

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/21/2003 4:35:37 PM WingNaPrayer wrote:

Pardon me but...

[h4][font color=red]BULL$HIT![/h4]
----------------
[/blockquote]
WnP,
Why would you say it is bull****?
Give some reason(s) why Carty would not be sincere in his letter?

To me it looks like an employee mistake, as well as a Carty mistake. If Carty and family were late, then it was the agent(s) duty to tell him/them - sorry you'll have to take the next flight. I seriously doubt it Carty would demand to kick off 3 pax so that he & family could get on.

Also, Carty did not go up to 3 pax and say: I'm the CEO of this airline, I need to go on vacation, get off my plane.

Pax were ASKED to give up their seats and COMPENSATED accordingly.

IMHO, there were 2 mistakes:
1) Carty&family arriving late
2) AA employee(s) not telling Carty to take a later flight

Back