Good to be the King!

Sorry FF, I just don't believe anything that comes out of his canadian mouth anymore. He's the CEO, and he is responsible for everything that goes on at that airline, whether he claims ignorance or not. This man has single-handedly destroyed all the confidence, let alone the portfolios of every person who invested in American Airlines.

Now, he's after the employees, the very people who made investing in American Airlines worthwhile.

As far as I'm concerned, the man is a geriatric hack, and should be handily delivered his walking papers (without retirement packages)....the same thing he wants to do to labor.

FF, if you want to support him, you go right ahead, it's your right to do so. I can however, almost guarantee you that you'll be rethinking yourself when you're standing in the unemployment line, with no healthcare and zero income. (But Carty will recieve your thanks by keeping his situation, perks, benefits and healthcare for his entire family.

NEVER support a man who is out to relieve you of your paycheck, or any portion of it, for any reason. To do so is sheer stupidity, and that's what "Two Faces" is banking on...his perceived stupidity of American's workforce.

Anytime you have the opportunity to bring attention to the fact that HE is overpaid, (especially in light of the fact that this little debacle proves he's clueless about what goes on at an airline) TAKE IT!

"The truth is that I booked my flights more than a month in advance when seats were available."
"Don Carty"

I don't know what is worse here;

An airline CEO that thinks the flights to PVR will be
wide open on the Presidents day weekend and is
suprised that people are bought off from his A1 pass,

Or a airline CEO that actually has so little respect
for his employees that he would pass off this lame
excuse as innocenct ignorance on his part.

flaptrack - I am very aware that the Carter administration was responsible for deregulation.

I don't claim to be "oh wise one" as you put it, however, I have a very keen understanding of how a major hub works.

Have you worked operationally in an airport or did you go directly from college to HDQ?

As stated previously, you could learn plenty from the serfs in the kingdom.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/22/2003 1:57:40 PM WingNaPrayer wrote:
Sorry FF, I just don't believe anything that comes out of his canadian mouth anymore.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Fair enough.
I myself don't believe everything that comes out of labor's mouth. Also, I don't believe everything that comes from management's mouth. That's why I say there were two groups of people at fault:
1) AA employees for not telling Carty to take a later flight
2) Carty for not hauling his a$$ to the airport on time

Given that, I still maintain that had he purchased a ticket for a Canadian vacation, this fiasco would not happen!

[blockquote]
----------------
This man has single-handedly destroyed all the confidence, let alone the portfolios of every person who invested in American Airlines.
----------------
[/blockquote]

You're a little unfair here I think:
1) people invest in the stock market at their own risk
2) name one airline (besides Southwest) whose stock is currently not in the toilet

[blockquote]
----------------
Now, he's after the employees, [u]the very people who made investing in American Airlines worthwhile.[/u]
----------------
[/blockquote]

He's after AA survival. Labor is one of the costs that needs to be addressed (ofcourse revenue needs to be addressed as well). Ofcourse in a perfect world a compnay does not pay its employees more than it can afford to, but I digress.

[blockquote]
----------------
Anytime you have the opportunity to bring attention to the fact that HE is overpaid, (especially in light of the fact that this little debacle proves he's clueless about what goes on at an airline) TAKE IT!
----------------
[/blockquote]

Which CEO is NOT overpaid? Carty's and other CEO's salary is what the market dictates.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/22/2003 8:14:06 PM WingNaPrayer wrote:

I rest my case....
----------------
[/blockquote]

You, sir, do not have a case.

You have an axe to grind with AA, and it doesn't matter what the issue is or what the facts are, you simply hate AA management.

Why not just tell everyone that you were fired, or that you were turned down for hiring?

Just out of curiosity, and for $hits and giggles....are you on the clock when you come in and spread your dis-information campaign?

My best guess is you are either P.R. or Marketing, but your intent is clear, to get as many as possible to agree with the company plan. Well good luck, the naysayers always get first preference, and your kool-aid doesn't have enough sugar in it for most who read this board, but don't participate.

As far as your opinion on executive's healthcare, post your proof or eat your words. I for one, don't believe you or your furloughed wife, and neither does the majority.

You know, I wasn't the first one to call you a corporate spy - the email and PMs I get from lots of people who don't participate pretty much say the same thing, you're here to put the corporate spin on everything, and you're full of it up to your eyebrows.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/24/2003 10:44:10 AM WingNaPrayer wrote:

Just out of curiosity, and for $hits and giggles....are you on the clock when you come in and spread your dis-information campaign?

Well WNP, I'll save you some trouble - in this thread, the times listed on eolesen's posts are 6:24 a.m. (a little early for a "nine to fiver" to post), 5:48 p.m. (a tad later for the "nine to fiver", 8:21 p.m., 8:59 p.m., 9:23 a.m., 3:08 p.m. 4:55 p.m. - ooooh - these three were most likely on "company time". I'll give Eric the benefit of the doubt and call this a "break". Finally the last post I see in this thread was 9:28 p.m. Looks to me like Eric is pretty much posting on his own time.

My best guess is you are either P.R. or Marketing, but your intent is clear, to get as many as possible to agree with the company plan. Well good luck, the naysayers always get first preference, and your kool-aid doesn't have enough sugar in it for most who read this board, but don't participate.

I would tend to guess that he might work in finance. Purely a guess, but the guys in finance are usually pretty aware of the financial standing of the company.

As far as your opinion on executive's healthcare, post your proof or eat your words. I for one, don't believe you or your furloughed wife, and neither does the majority.

You know, I wasn't the first one to call you a corporate spy - the email and PMs I get from lots of people who don't participate pretty much say the same thing, you're here to put the corporate spin on everything, and you're full of it up to your eyebrows.

Hmmm- I sort of see the "corporate spin" as "the opposing view". You might not like to read what Eric writes, but for those of us on the outside looking it, it is nice to have "the rest of the story" presented.
----------------
[/blockquote]

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/22/2003 10:24:32 AM limit wrote:

OK.
Here is my plan.
I would hire me,sign for a huge salary and bonus, plenty of benefits,made sure I got a great severance package ( just in case), then I would cut all your salaries and benefits .Then I would chastise all the nonbelievers and asked them " whats your plan "?
Do you guys think I need an MBA for that?

----------------
[/blockquote]

But, Limit, that's not a big idea, that's just whining. You're such a genius -- let's see an original thought.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/22/2003 7:02:32 AM flygal4500 wrote:

This seems like as good a place as any to turn on the creative juices -- how would YOU reorganize AA?

----------------
[/blockquote]

Eliminate all the free pleasure travel. At least until the company is profitable again. Wouldn't that focus the troops' attention on the big issue?

Do it and milk the publicity. Do an ad campaign something like "we're saving this seat for you" or have an internal employee contest and invite employee entries.

Yes, I know this is a treasured benefit and the actual cost is marginal. But the public perception impact would be huge.

AA spent more resources trumpeting the cost-saving impact on eliminating one olive.

How about....dumping half the paid holidays. Get rid of holiday pay altogether for those who don't actually work ON the holiday. The savings in that alone would be tremendous.

How about adjustments to the Healthcare program. Should people with 3 and 4 kids really be paying the same amount for healthcare benefits as two persons do? The plan needs some serious adjustments. I'm all for providing good healthcare for the employee, but spouses, children, and domestic partners should have a less attractive premium, higher co-payments and deductibles. Unless the body works directly for the company, and therefore their health can directly affect the company's revenue from being out sick, the insurance provided shouldn't be as cheap as it is for the direct employee. Sure, it was nice and all, but times are tough and with an average of at least 200,000 people on the health plan, some adjustments desperately need to be made.

How about overtime adjustments. How many employees would be willing to work overtime for straight time pay, rather than face a pay cut? Sure, overtime is nice, but so is full pay.

If all of this were applied to the agent group, they would be able to realize their 80Million share requested by the company without actually taking a pay cut.

How about reducing company vacation time, and increasing the amount of flex vacation an employee can buy. If 100,000 employees gave up a week's company paid vacation, does anyone care to venture a guess at what the savings would be? Flex buy is fairly painless when spread out over a year's worth of paychecks.

How about trimming the part time fat and getting rid of excess part time employees? Seniority exists in the part time work force as well, time to combine some schedules and move them up to full time.

How about temporarily suspending the friends and family fly free programs. Why not perhaps make it a 50/50 deal? Get a round trip ticket and the company throws in half the trip for free under the travel pass programs. Direct employees should continue to reap the benefit but spouses, children domestic partners, etc., should take a back seat for a while until revenues improve.

How about cracking down on the FMLA abuse - those who call in sick willy-nilly and throw a wrench into the day's operation, forcing the company to replace them with overtime. Sure, FMLA is a federal guarantee, but the company can sure as hell attach it's own set of rules to it, such as if you're on FMLA, and you're too sick to come to work for one day, then you better see your doctor on that sick day, and you should need to clear medical before returning to work. If your FMLA is for a family member, then they better be the ones visiting the doctor and the employee simply provides that proof upon return to work.

One of the biggest complaints I hear about FMLA at AA is that people call in sick the day before a holiday, and the day after, but show up on the holiday for that extra pay, or some on FMLA when they can't find someone to CS with, just call in sick and it doesn't go against their attendance.

Clearly, there are some people who simply don't want to work, they are there for the benefits only. Those are the folks who need a pink slip, rather than CS their time or call in sick leaving the operation to suffer.

There are a LOT of ways that AA can cut back on the cash drain still available before attacking paychecks.

Make reasonable requests and reasonable employees will say yes. But, come to the table and say we need 2 billion dollars from labor and that's all she wrote...no business plan....and reasonable employees are going to fight it all the way.

It's called...keeping a full paycheck without a reduction in salary in exchange for the temporary loss of other programs you wouldn't miss if you never had them.

A full paycheck, you'd miss.

Whassamatta....I hit a nerve on one of the programs you abuse AirwAr?

Latest posts

Back