Has 757 Europe Operation Rumor gone Flat

I've been hearing these "the word is" rumors now for 25+ years at this airline. Usually, from some inside reliable source in the training or marketing or maintenance or whatever department.

Experience has shown that the reliability of these "the word is" rumors is inversely proportional to just how much good news is contained in the rumor.

The "good news" never seems to leak out ahead of time like this.

So, my method for giving credibility to this stuff amounts to believing it when I see it. When I SEE 3 additional ETOPS 757s painted in USAirways livery boarding passengers, then MAYBE the 757 instructor in CLT has credibility.

And where is the venerable Captain USA320 on this issue?
He should have jumped in about 2 pages of threads ago.
Are we to assume that he has left his perch, or did he
just lose his sources when CCY shut down?
C'mon Captain. Your opinion and conjecture are important
to this thread.

Why are we looking at 757s? Why not 767-300s for heavy routes and use the -200s on the thin routes; that is what they were designed for. The 757s have limited cargo capacity and the pax capacity is what 10 less than the 767?

And where is the venerable Captain USA320 on this issue?
He should have jumped in about 2 pages of threads ago.
Are we to assume that he has left his perch, or did he
just lose his sources when CCY shut down?
C'mon Captain. Your opinion and conjecture are important
to this thread.
I can only ASSume the venerable Captain is "shacking up" with my neighbors brothers sister-in-law down at the Sea Shell Lounge in Moon Toonship and are really AGONIZING over the new color scheme for the TED operation he forecasted we would be getting LAST YEAR. Now the drama is whether the TED logo needs to placed in the Heritage Circle :lol: :lol: Let him deal w/one project at a time!

Why are we looking at 757s? Why not 767-300s for heavy routes and use the -200s on the thin routes; that is what they were designed for. The 757s have limited cargo capacity and the pax capacity is what 10 less than the 767?

I agree....the 767 is a much better choice. Has the cargo capacity and isnt oversized for the t-h-i-n routes :)

I didn't know those "Classic" 737s even HAD transcontinental range! :shock: A 733 going across the country must have just plain SUCKED!

back in the late 1980's and early 90's you'd get either a 300 or a 727-200, along with an ice cream sandwich and hot towel... in coach.

The word is now that I was told by a 757 instructor in CLT that he saw the paperwork that we are adding 3 more 757's to the fleet in late spring. All are ETOPS. If true, I'm hoping that the are the ATA 757's. I would doubt that they are for Hawaii. Maybe one more city in Europe and full tine to Ireland. If this does happen, I'm sure there will be a cat fight between the two pilot groups on who is going to doing the flying.
Those 757's were looked at on the west side as possible Hawaii birds but.......rumored to be better suited to flights on the east side so...........and they are ATA's and currently reside in France.

I never understood why PI/US never took options for the larger 767-300ER, which would have seemed like the logical choice for the expanding European network in the early 90s, before Wolf and Gangwal came on board with the Airbus orders. Even with the 9 A330s added to the fleet in the late nineties, early 2000s, I believe this airline is still seriously lacking in the long haul 'heavy' metal department and has probably curtailed further international expansion, most likely I'd guess to Asia. I remember when USAir applied and was awarded a PIT-Japan route, but unfortunately had to forfeit it, due to the 767's range limitations at the time. The A330-300 doesn't have much more range, either.

Has it been confirmed that US will still take delivery of 10 (longer range) A330-200 aircraft beginning in 2008? The 20 A350s supposedly will not begin to arrive till around the 2011 timeframe, which is still quite a ways off. I'm anxious to see what Doug's more immediate plans are over the next 2 years, in this area. ;)

Because it's a lead sled. Very few if any commercial airliners have the power and climb capability of the 757. Only the Dornier Jet comes to mind and it is slow in cruise.
Prior to 9-11, I remember a day I was in the flight deck just chatting, and ATC had given them instructions to climb for traffic adjustments. They kept calling back asking them to speed it up. Until that day, I was unaware the the BUS was so slow to climb like that.