Hawaiian bids Aloha to DC-10?

mga707

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
I''ve heard that Hawaiian retired their last DC-10 from scheduled service sometime this past week, but haven''t seen anything officially either here or on Yahoo.
Can anyone confirm, and perhaps post a link?

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/2/2003 10:49:56 AM AAG2000 wrote:

You're right, as usual...here it is, from Hawaiian's own website:

http://www.hawaiianair.com/about/corporate...Section_265.asp

They've put together a beautiful new fleet practically overnight--very impressive, considering how hard travel to Hawaii was hit after 9/11. Still, it's sad to see more DC-10's disappearing. Does this mean that Northwest is the only U.S. airline still flying passengers on DC-10's?
----------------
[/blockquote]

Thanks. NW is now the only scheduled US carrier operating 10s. Omni Air still operates them on charters. Any others?

They've put together a beautiful new fleet practically overnight--very impressive, considering how hard travel to Hawaii was hit after 9/11. Still, it's sad to see more DC-10's disappearing. Does this mean that Northwest is the only U.S. airline still flying passengers on DC-10's?

You're right--I had forgotten about charters. According to their website, Ryan International also flies a couple out of SFO for SunTrips. Apparently World Airways still has a couple kicking around, too--not sure what they're using them for, though, or even if they're still flying. I assume Hadj or military charters.

Sure, they've replaced their fleet, but they've got a management that is running the airline for its own personal benefit.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/2/2003 11:12:17 AM mga707 wrote:

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/2/2003 10:49:56 AM AAG2000 wrote:

----------------
[/blockquote]

Thanks. NW is now the only scheduled US carrier operating 10s. Omni Air still operates them on charters. Any others?
----------------
[/blockquote]

NW will also be flying all thos DC9's for many years. NW has the trained workforce. Those McDonnell planes are tanks, so it would make sense for NW to continue flying the DC10 too.

Or maybe not.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/3/2003 12:47:54 AM motnot wrote:

Sure, they've replaced their fleet, but they've got a management that is running the airline for its own personal benefit.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Care to expound on this? I'm truly curious.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/3/2003 12:18:38 PM whatkindoffreshhell wrote:

NW will also be flying all thos DC9's for many years. NW has the trained workforce. Those McDonnell planes are tanks, so it would make sense for NW to continue flying the DC10 too.

Or maybe not.
----------------
[/blockquote]

NW will be flying DC-9s long after the last of their DC-10-30s is parked (the DC-10-40s are already gone). The clock is ticking on their -10s. Although they did recently renegotiate their order, stretching it out somewhat, their A330s are coming. I've seen a picture of their first one flying in France (in that ugly green primer). They'll take delivery soon.
The first aircraft the 330s will replace will be the last of the -10s.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/1/2003 11:12:48 PM mga707 wrote:

I've heard that Hawaiian retired their last DC-10 from scheduled service sometime this past week, but haven't seen anything officially either here or on Yahoo.
Can anyone confirm, and perhaps post a link?
----------------
[/blockquote]

I was under the impression that retiring the DC10's were part of the plan when the leases for B767's was signed.

And yes, a brand new fleet and new image, in record time... I guess its easy when you are flying 25 planes.