ITRADE

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
DCA/IAD US2
www.geocities.com
[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/17/2003 9:16:16 AM justanadd wrote:

Don't most other airlines have their headquarters at their largests hub? Just think it's an interesting topic.
----------------
[/blockquote]

For the most part, you're right.

A couple exceptions:

PSA's headquarters was SAN, yet the real "hubs" were SFO and LAX.

Where is AirTran HQed? I thought MCO - with the big hub at ATL.

Wondering would U benefit any by having its headquarters at one of it''s large hubs such as CLT PIT or PHL rather than Arlington, VA. I realize being close to Washington DC has it''s benefits (and moving at this time would be very costly) but would it not be more cost effective in the long run. Don''t most other airlines have their headquarters at their largests hub? Just think it''s an interesting topic.

Actually... now that you mention it (I've forgotten about this topic), I am rather surprised that U did not use the BK Court to void its lease. After all, thats part of what BK does... void contracts. I would have to think that they could get big incentives to move HQ to PIT or CLT. Also, moving to PIT or CLT would save the company big bucks due to the difference in cost of living. Any employees who moved, would be less affected by the pay cut (their reduced salary would have more spending power in PIT vs WAS, I realize that moving would be a big change).

Having said that, corp HQ's are often where the CEO's want to be. I can't imagine too many people voluntarily moving from Washington to PIT or CLT. But you never know.

I would think its alot cheaper to have facilities esp in PIT or CLT... it would be great to see one large campus with headquarters, training facilities etc. similar to AA's setup in Fort Worth. It brings more jobs to one of 'our' cities, plus it brings mgmt a little closer to the real, everyday front line of the company... I think many of us have a little bit of trouble with management being in some mysterious Crystal Palace next to the Pentagon, rather than right there with the majority of our employees...

Actually, Mangement was able to renegotiate their lease agreement for the Crystal Palace to $5 Million per year while they were in BK.

I guess to them, that's a steal.

I heard from one friend in CCY some time ago that the company purchased land near IAD with plans to build headquarters there. What happened with those plans I cannot say, as this was pre-BK, pre-Siegel, and perhaps even pre-9/11 that I was told this. It seems that the purchase was made right around the fall of the merger.

If Dave had an once of integrity,he'd lease five or six construction trailers and run the company from there.After all,haven't we been told we have to do more with less?

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/17/2003 11:51:45 AM ITRADE wrote:

Ya wanna tell me how you're going to place about 2,000 employees into 5 or 6 construction trailers?

Or are you having a case of management envy?
----------------
It takes 2,000 employees to mis-manage this company!!
How about a couple of Porta-Potty'? The company IS in the crapper!

What's the big deal? DCA is a US hub, just not the biggest one, and one that's been downsized considerably. Airline corporate headquarters are located at an airline's hub, but who says it has to be the largest hub, or second largest hub?

Introducing all the turmoil of moving the corporate headquarters while in the middle of bankruptcy would have been a terrible idea if you ask me.

Exactly JS.

I mused about the idea of moving corporate HQ a couple years ago on planebusiness.

It would make sense to move HQ to a place that has lower costs and would benefit the employees in terms of living expenses.

That being said, the middle of Chap. 11 is no time to pack up and hauling out of Dodge. Moving a corporate HQ is VERY expensive - you have to move everything physically; you need new data services; you will likely have to pay employee moving expenses. These are costs that US in the short term cannot afford to bear.

DCA is not a US Airways hub, the hubs are Charlotte, Pittsburgh and Philadephia, DCA is a focus city.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/17/2003 4:20:17 PM LavMan wrote:

DCA is not a US Airways hub, the hubs are Charlotte, Pittsburgh and Philadephia, DCA is a focus city.
----------------
[/blockquote]
While it's true that DCA is only a focus city for US, the carrier has more mainline nonstop destinations from DCA than it does from any other airport US serves (besides the three hubs, of course). This derives from US' unique advantage in attracting Washington area passengers to its short- and medium-haul flights by having the most slots at DCA, the region's most centrally located airport.

US' current nonstop mainline destinations from DCA are the three hubs (CLT/PHL/PIT), the two shuttle cities (BOS/LGA), two international resort areas (BDA/NAS) and the following other major domestic cities: FLL/RSW/BDL/MSY/MCO/PVD/TPA/PBI.