Help a furloughed pilot decide

Again thanks to all.

I do have a (specialized, BS) degree which has basically expired and with zero experience in the field it only checks the box but isn't really valuable in and of itself. I fear that checking the turbine PIC box would be a similar story.

I have decided not to decide. I left no preference for the RPA Captain slots this time and I suppose I'll stress over it again the next time it comes up, which I'm assuming will be the last time it comes up (probably farily soon). I just cannot muster the energy and drive to take another interim job and all of its associated hassles right now. I'll also probably bypass U for as long as I can - at least until the contract is settled and I could hold group 2 with some junior to me or at the very least be a E190 lineholder.

There are 47 767 Int'l PHL F/O reserve positions left over on Bid 07-03 and about 6 on 767 domestic.

It kind of makes you wonder why those postions are being avoided in mass by those currently on the property. I'm sure those C/Os are real fun to fly with.

The big difference is that reserve on the 330 or 76I in some ways is not anything like reserve on the 320 or 737.

Jim

Am I reading that you think it is easier to pull reserve on 76 Int'l than A320 or 737. The guy who talked to me about 767 Int'l reserve said it was easier because you can see where you are on the list as they do not have PT times.

Basically saying that except for the very limited non-TA flying on the 330/76I, 5 or 6 trips will get pretty much a full month (and yes, I know that reserves can't "time out" except for the rolling 3 months). Plus all the departures are within a limited time frame (except for that limited domestic flying).

Contrast that with the 737/A320 reserves (or any domestic reserve, really). They'll mostly be on call their 20-21 days a month (more if they answer the phone), spend the majority of those doing something, and often not break guarantee.

However, I certainly didn't mean to imply that any reserve has it made.

Jim

I can relate to your predicament. I lucked out and am in my 2nd year at SWA. I can also tell you that I would have gone back to USAir if I had not gotten this job. I was also a J4J at PSA. After all that USAir has been through, if they are not daed in the water now, they never will be......

Just some info that came my way, FWIW.

The East MEC Communications folks are working toward making a "competing carrier employed furloughee" and retired version of the MEC website available. Sounds like it'll be something between the full-blown pilot's only site and the public site. Don't have any idea what specific info will be available, but hopefully something that will be more valuable to you furloughed folks than the nothing that's available now.

Jim

Thanks Jim. it would be nice to have at least a little inside info.

I would consider gettting out of flying were I in your shoes.

I saw a sign on a Jack in the Box store the other day advertising for store managers. I stated that earnings could exceed $55,000.

I'm not making that up. It was in Scottsdale, AZ.

My point is simply that this pilot thing ain't what it used to be and to get to the big pay someday one might look into a different career to get to that pay MUCH sooner. Not to mention being around to watch kids grow up, Christmas, etc.........

If you are smart enought to fly a jet, You're smart enough to do a whole bunch of things.

pilot

for 57% of the former east pilots it is.

led by none other than 320. The "all i can do is fly" crowd is precisely the reason this profession is in the crapper. They have no confidence to make it out in a world that doesn't include flying.

it's not the management that is our enemy. it is 320 and his group of cowardly minions.

for 57% of the former east pilots it is.

led by none other than 320. The "all i can do is fly" crowd is precisely the reason this profession is in the crapper. They have no confidence to make it out in a world that doesn't include flying.

it's not the management that is our enemy. it is 320 and his group of cowardly minions.

Awhile back I introduced myself and shook hands with the captain as a jump seater. It turned out that it was 320 and I couldn't help myself when he told me his name... I laughed.

I felt really bad about that. No really I did. I should have never shaken his hand while I was laughing.

So Pilot. Will you be submitting an application at Jack-in-the-box? What is the interview like? What made you choose fast food as a potential career path?

Better question: How many of us, even for $55,000, would consider a career in food service?

I would venture a guess that those of us who are furloughed have made several sacrifices, and worked jobs that we would not have even considered just 6 years ago. We make those choices because we know what we have to do to support our families.

But somehow when the suggestion comes from an employed line-pilot it seems somewhat disingenuous. It must be easy to make such a suggestion from the air-conditioned flight-deck of a state-of-the-art french airliner. And you're not even required to wear a paper hat.

So pardon me if I roll my eyes at such a suggestion and silently pray that I never am forced to share a cockpit with you.

So Pilot. Will you be submitting an application at Jack-in-the-box? What is the interview like? What made you choose fast food as a potential career path?

Better question: How many of us, even for $55,000, would consider a career in food service?

That kind of sums up the problem.

Being a pilot sounds cool. Therefore lots of people want to do it and are willing to put up with lots of crap to do it. Therefore there is a downward pressure on wages, because the coolness factor makes up for wages.

A career in fast food does not sound cool. Therefore there is upward pressure on wages, because otherwise people wouldn't do it.

I would venture a guess that those of us who are furloughed have made several sacrifices, and worked jobs that we would not have even considered just 6 years ago. We make those choices because we know what we have to do to support our families.

But somehow when the suggestion comes from an employed line-pilot it seems somewhat disingenuous. It must be easy to make such a suggestion from the air-conditioned flight-deck of a state-of-the-art french airliner. And you're not even required to wear a paper hat.

So pardon me if I roll my eyes at such a suggestion and silently pray that I never am forced to share a cockpit with you.

You misunderstand. My point is that there a lot of other things in this world that you can make money at besides flying airplanes.

It's your choice. First you chide me for being "senior" and screwing you all over the place. Which is absolutely true because of the seniority based system we live under. (For the record I voted NO and NO and NO and NO but you won't believe me regardless of what I say)
Then you elect to come back for some more screwing and pathetic working conditions while some fast food guy makes more money and is home every night.

I am senior because I was hired at a young age on the right side of the bell shaped curve. That is my luck. You didn't have the same luck. But you want to stay in the profession hoping things get better.

In the meantime, furloughed guys I know have their own businesses and make more than I do.

Stay if you want. I'm just saying there are other options. And if you don't see them you aren't looking hard enough.

pilot

Im currently at Republic under J4J. They are short of CA's and you can easily get close to 100 hrs. per month. Of course that takes you away from your family even more...

When you get the recall to AAA, when you can hold a group 2 A/C, Republic will hold you but you will make Group 2 pay at your appropriate seniority at AAA. That will allow you to get the PIC time and better pay than the 57.00 per hour. Other considerations to think about being at Republic: The first 30 days you will only make $125/week in training. After that you get 75 hr. guarantee at CA pay rate. Insurance is reasonable but doesnt start until 30 days on property.

At your seniority on the APL, you should be able to hold a block in IND or DCA. PIT would most likely be reserve. What is your AAA seniority # (Approx) and I'll tell you if you can hold a block and where. If you have any questions about Republic, I'll be happy to try and answer them...
I have the same decision to make..for a Mar 19 class. I hear the training pay is at $400/wk now. How is the schedules? The reserve? I'm about over struggling at Mesa...commuting to reserve in ORD from PHX. Not sure what I could hold at RAH, I'm 100 or so from the bottom on the APL...
Any advice?

Back