here are the q2 results....

legacy-to-LCC

Veteran
Feb 20, 2004
from www.usairways.com

US Airways Group, Inc. Reports Second Quarter Profit
Highlights of the US Airways Group, Inc. (the Company) second quarter 2007 results: - The Company reported a second quarter 2007 net profit of $263 million, or $2.77 per diluted share. - Excluding special items, the Company reported a second quarter 2007 net profit of $261 million, or $2.74 per diluted share. - The Company accrued approximately $30 million, or 10 percent of its second quarter 2007 pretax income excluding special items, for its annual employee profit sharing program. This brings the total amount accrued for 2007 to approximately $34 million. - The Company had $3.5 billion in total cash and investments, of which $3.0 billion was unrestricted, on June 30, 2007.
TEMPE, Ariz., July 26, 2007 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX News Network/ -- US Airways Group, Inc. (NYSE: LCC) today reported its second quarter 2007 results. Net profit for the second quarter was $263 million, or $2.77 per diluted share, compared to a net profit of $305 million, or $3.25 per diluted share for the same period last year. Excluding net special items of $2 million, the Company reported a net profit of $261 million, or $2.74 per diluted share. This compares to a net profit of $315 million, or $3.35 per diluted share in the second quarter of 2006, which excludes a net credit for special items of $10 million. See the accompanying notes in the Financial Tables section of this press release for a reconciliation of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) financial information to non-GAAP financial information.
(Logo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20050223/LAW097LOGO )

US Airways Group Chairman and CEO Doug Parker stated, "We are very pleased to report our sixth consecutive quarter of profitability. We are especially pleased with our performance relative to our industry. Our first half 2007 pretax profit margins excluding special charges are the highest among the major network airlines that have reported thus far.

"While our earnings were lower than last year's second quarter, this was largely related to increased expenses associated with the operational improvement plan we announced last quarter and put into place this summer. That plan is working as our second quarter operational reliability has improved versus the first quarter and has continued to improve into the third quarter.

"Key to those operational improvements, of course, are our employees who have done an outstanding job of taking care of our customers. We're delighted to have accrued $34 million for profit sharing in the first half of this year and look forward to adding to that amount as the year progresses.

"Although high fuel prices will continue to have a material financial impact on our company, we are encouraged by the strengthening revenue environment and industry capacity outlook. Looking forward, we maintain our

projections of profitability for the third quarter and full-year 2007," concluded Parker.

Revenue and Cost Comparisons

Mainline passenger revenue per available seat mile (PRASM) was 11.24 cents, up 1.0 percent over the same period last year. Express PRASM was 20.72 cents, down 0.1 percent over the second quarter 2006. Total mainline and Express PRASM for US Airways Group was 12.70 cents, which was up 0.2 percent over the second quarter 2006 on a 1.4% decline in total available seat miles (ASMs).

Mainline cost per available seat mile (CASM) at US Airways Group was 11.34 cents, up 2.6 percent versus the same period last year on a decrease in mainline capacity of 0.6 percent versus the second quarter of 2006. Excluding fuel, unrealized and realized gains/losses on fuel hedging instruments, and merger related transition expenses, mainline CASM was 8.00 cents, up 5.1 percent from the same period last year.

Chief Financial Officer Derek Kerr stated, "In the second quarter we faced higher maintenance costs associated with the return of leased aircraft and engine overhaul timing, and increased expenses driven by investments in our operation. As our operational improvements continue to gain traction, we expect our costs to normalize."

In April, US Airways announced an operational improvement plan, which included hiring more than 1,000 additional airport personnel, upgrading the Company's kiosk equipment and expanding connect times at critical hubs. Those actions have had a positive impact on operational reliability. The second quarter on-time performance was much improved versus the first quarter. This trend has continued into the third quarter with July's on-time performance currently running ahead of June.

Liquidity

As of June 30, 2007, the Company had $3.5 billion in total cash and investments, of which $3.0 billion was unrestricted.

Second Quarter Special Items

During its second quarter, the Company recognized $2 million of net special items. Expenses for the quarter included $27 million of merger-related transition expenses and $5 million of special non-cash state tax provision from the utilization of pre-acquisition NOL. These expenses were offset by a $25 million non-cash credit for unrealized net gains associated with the change in fair value of the Company's outstanding fuel hedge contracts and $9 million of insurance settlement proceeds related to business interruption and property damage incurred as a result of Hurricane Katrina.

Other Notable Accomplishments

Operations
-- Hired approximately 1,000 additional airport employees in support of
the airline's operational improvement plan.
-- The airline's flight attendant workgroup completed all integration
training items identified by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
to certify as one carrier in preparation for a single operating
certificate later this year.
-- Began installing the first wave of the 600 replacement kiosks in the
airline's East Coast operation.
-- Completed the International Air Transport Association's (IATA)
International Operational Safety Audit (IOSA), which covered flight
operations, operations control, maintenance, inflight services, ground
operations, cargo and security. The final results show that US Airways
conformed to every IOSA standard.
-- Adjusted the airline's schedule to lengthen the operating day by 30
minutes and added four operational spare aircraft to the US Airways
system as part of the operational improvement plan.

Labor
-- Reached final single labor transition agreements covering the flight
crew training instructors and the flight simulator engineers, each
represented by the Transport Workers Union (TWU).
-- Announced plans to recall approximately 225 furloughed flight
attendants and 130 furloughed pilots through year's end.

Marketing
-- Agreed to terms on a replacement aircraft order with Airbus S.A.S. for
60 A320 family narrowbody airplanes and 32 A330 and A350 XWB widebody
aircraft. Deliveries are expected to begin in 2009. This transaction
will position US Airways with one of the youngest and most fuel
efficient fleets in the U.S. airline industry. It will also allow us
to continue growing our international capacity at a faster rate than
any other major carrier.
-- Inaugurated new service from Philadelphia to Athens, Brussels and
Zurich, rounding out the airline's European presence to 19 cities in 12
countries.
-- Awarded an industry-coveted Freddie Award in the Best Promotion
category for Dividend Miles' popular "Everything Counts" program,
which allows members to accrue miles through a variety of partners.
-- Submitted an application to the U.S. Department of Transportation to
fly Charlotte-Philadelphia-Beijing beginning in March 2009, receiving
support from government officials and business leaders in, among other
places, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, and Delaware. Philadelphia is
the second-largest metropolitan area in the United States without non-
stop service to China. We anticipate operating the route with Airbus
A340 aircraft. Support for US Airways' bid can be expressed by signing
the online petition at www.usairways.com/china.

Analyst Conference Call/Webcast Details

US Airways will conduct a live audio webcast of its earnings call today at 1 p.m. EDT, which will be available to the public on a listen-only basis at www.usairways.com under the About US >> Investor Relations tab. An archive of the call/webcast will be available in the Public/Investor Relations portion of the Web site through Aug. 26, 2007.

The airline will also update its investor relations guidance on its Web site (www.usairways.com). Information that could be updated includes cost per available seat mile (CASM) excluding fuel and transition expenses, fuel prices and hedging positions, other revenues, estimated interest expense/income and merger related transition expense guidance. The investor relations update page also includes the airline's capacity, fleet plan for 2007 and estimated capital spending for 2007.

Why are you smiling? Some of us want to have a career here and hate the fact we are losing customers due to poor technology and bad mgt. I for one am working my butt off to take care of the customer and all you do is smile? You're ignorant and if you find joy in bad news, keep it to yourself.

Sick of the negative attitude everywhere. Service really comes down to treating the customers with respect. I agree our operation is not where is needs to be but focus on how to make the customer happy until the changes can be put into place.

As for Shares/Qik. The overlay is bad, but once you learn where to go you can still service the customer if you use your skills. Someday they will realize the tech is inadequate for a real airline and changes will have to be made. In the meantime, let's just acknowledge the customer and do the best we can.

Also, I wish my fellow employees would not talk neg about the company in front of the customers, it's so degrading and unprofessional.... and, most customers don't want to hear it.

Rant is over. Have a good day. :shock:

The effects of the US frequent flyers leaving in droves are really really hurting the bottom line :D

from www.usairways.com

US Airways Group, Inc. Reports Second Quarter Profit
Highlights of the US Airways Group, Inc. (the Company) second quarter 2007 results: - The Company reported a second quarter 2007 net profit of $263 million, or $2.77 per diluted share. -

Great, another good quarter of profits, earned off the backs of the east side concessions. No miracle working here.

The effects of the US frequent flyers leaving in droves are really really hurting the bottom line :D

Why are you smiling? Some of us want to have a career here and hate the fact we are losing customers due to poor technology and bad mgt. I for one am working my butt off to take care of the customer and all you do is smile? You're ignorant and if you find joy in bad news, keep it to yourself.

Sick of the negative attitude everywhere. Service really comes down to treating the customers with respect. I agree our operation is not where is needs to be but focus on how to make the customer happy until the changes can be put into place.

As for Shares/Qik. The overlay is bad, but once you learn where to go you can still service the customer if you use your skills. Someday they will realize the tech is inadequate for a real airline and changes will have to be made. In the meantime, let's just acknowledge the customer and do the best we can.

Also, I wish my fellow employees would not talk neg about the company in front of the customers, it's so degrading and unprofessional.... and, most customers don't want to hear it.

Rant is over. Have a good day. :shock:

It's interesting that I took Frugal's comment as tongue-in-cheek. It's obvious that USAirways either is NOT losing the FFs in droves, or that their leaving seems to have little, if any, impact on the bottom line. If we can make $260+ million in a quarter where we have had the most atrocious service in the industry, then that means that the traveling public will accept atrocious service and gladly hand over their dollars. Anyone who has walked around PHL or CLT terminals can see it looks like the Sunday after Thanksgiving everyday. I can't imagine why our planes are so crowded. Go figure.

As far as "service really comes down to treating the customers with respect," I think that respect of the employee by the company is a prerequisite. And this does not exist at USAirways.

And I try very hard to refrain from negative talk about the company in front of passengers. What I will no longer do, though, is try to defend the company from negative comments initiated by the passengers. I simply agree with their comment, and suggest they fly another airline. With the wind effectively taken out of their sails, they mostly just look at me dumbfounded (or, to be more precise, MORE dumbfounded than most of our current passengers normally look.)

Just a different perspective here. After 20 years of defending US Airways, I have nothing left good to say. I do not volunteer neg remarks to customers, but if they ask my opinion, I tell it as it is. If they make neg remarks about US, I no longer defend them...I simply agree. If someone says they hate US Airways, I tell them so do I. If they say US Airways sucks, I tell them you're right.

Degrading and unprofessional is what this new management team has created. Don't expect anything more from the peons.

This management team is NOTHING but DEGRADING AND UNPROFESSIONAL .

In one quick sweep, the company could write a bonus check to all of us for putting up with THEIR failures and cleaning up their sh!t!! Will it happen? Hell no!!

This is unbelievable,megga millions. What a great incentive to get this place fixed.Maybe our wonderfull unions can get something done in talks now.Since they let them slide through this qtr.Congradulations and thanks to all of you that made this work through these tough times.( patting self on back )
really its been a pain.

Now can we get this place fixed......look at what we could make if it was working.Oh sorry the shareholders could make.

Maybe my profit shareing will equal the 40% I gave up to see this happen.Oh for one more holiday that I cant take off. :up: :up: :up:

These numbers aren't good. I don't know what people are getting excited about--the Tempe spin? The stock is down, down, down.

It's interesting that I took Frugal's comment as tongue-in-cheek. It's obvious that USAirways either is NOT losing the FFs in droves, or that their leaving seems to have little, if any, impact on the bottom line. If we can make $260+ million in a quarter where we have had the most atrocious service in the industry, then that means that the traveling public will accept atrocious service and gladly hand over their dollars. Anyone who has walked around PHL or CLT terminals can see it looks like the Sunday after Thanksgiving everyday. I can't imagine why our planes are so crowded. Go figure.

You got it. There are still way too many people who are willing to accept atrocious service. Most likely because US has the non-stop flights in key northeast markets. Or because US is $5 cheaper than competition (Gee last time the flight was late and the luggage didn't arrive but golly gee whiz US has the cheapest ticket - maybe it will be different this time). Ofcourse the crappy employee wages help the bottom line also. I'm curious as to how long this will last though. Next couple of quarters will be interesting though.

These numbers aren't good. I don't know what people are getting excited about--the Tempe spin? The stock is down, down, down.
AMR - operating profit down 1.9%, net profit up 8.9%
CAL - operating profit up 7.8%, net profit up 15.2%
UAL - operating profit up 106.5%, net profit up 130.3%
LCC - operating profit down 15.5%, net profit down 13.8%

Jim

It's obvious that USAirways either is NOT losing the FFs in droves, or that their leaving seems to have little, if any, impact on the bottom line. If we can make $260+ million in a quarter where we have had the most atrocious service in the industry, then that means that the traveling public will accept atrocious service and gladly hand over their dollars. Anyone who has walked around PHL or CLT terminals can see it looks like the Sunday after Thanksgiving everyday. I can't imagine why our planes are so crowded. Go figure.

$260 million sucks!! 17% DECLINE from last year. Can you imagine how much MORE we would had made had we not ran off so many FF's or not screwed up so badly? Who else has posted DECLINING profits? This quarter is NOT good news.

The cheap ass way of running biz is backfiring! I'm sure these results will have a big fat spin on it.

US Aiways could spin a wet dishrag.

From MarketWatch.com:

US Airways profit falls 14% as expenses rise
By Laura Mandaro
Last Update: 9:45 AM ET Jul 26, 2007

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- US Airways said Thursday second-quarter profits slipped to $263 million, or $2.77 a share, from $305 million, or $3.25 a share, in the year-ago quarter, as it spent more on improving its operations. Excluding special items, profits totaled $2.74 a share. Revenues at the Tempe, Ariz. carrier fell 0.5% to $3.16 billion. Analysts polled by Thomson Financial forecast earnings of $2.64 a share on sales of $3.16 billion. Passenger revenue per available seat mile at its main carrier rose 1%. Shares fell 3.7% to $33.54 in early trading.