Hi All

Meriel

Member
Aug 19, 2002
63
0
My husband said that in talking to some flight attendants today, they were somewhat peeved at seeing chunks of pay on the order of several hundred dollars taken from their checks. So, while I don't know for sure, it sounds like they're taking the retroactive pay out all at once, not spreading it over several paychecks. I hope nobody ended up with $0.00 paychecks and owing the company more than their take-home.

Does this mean taxes, state/fed/soc sec/etc. also get adjusted for what was paid and is now being deducted?
 

pitrescsd

Member
Aug 19, 2002
28
0
www.usaviation.com
My husband said that in talking to some flight attendants today, they were somewhat peeved at seeing chunks of pay on the order of several hundred dollars taken from their checks. So, while I don't know for sure, it sounds like they're taking the retroactive pay out all at once, not spreading it over several paychecks. I hope nobody ended up with $0.00 paychecks and owing the company more than their take-home. Does this mean taxes, state/fed/soc sec/etc. also get adjusted for what was paid and is now being deducted?


[:0] [:0] How can the "charge back" for past salary retroactively? Isn't that somehow against Federal Labor Laws? If any F/A or Pilot got a $0.00 paycheck, you know darned well there would be some sort of "work action/stoppage"
 

curious

Member
Aug 20, 2002
20
0
Yep, had the lovely paycut already. It was retro to July 1. We were lucky enought to have only 75% taken on this check and the remaining 25% on the next one.
 

Meriel

Member
Aug 19, 2002
63
0
----------------
On 8/20/2002 12:20:22 PM

Yep, had the lovely paycut already. It was retro to July 1. We were lucky enought to have only 75% taken on this check and the remaining 25% on the next one.
----------------

I'm glad to hear it isn't an all at once thing, then. Bad enough as it is, but for it to have been everything at once could have caused some tremendous problems for folks. As to legal, yes, certainly it is if that's how the contract/letter of agreement is written. That's why it's so important to know what is being negotiated on your behalf, and what'll be expected from you. We're still waiting, but with hopeful expectation that everything will ultimately be just fine :)
 

ExitPointer

Member
Aug 20, 2002
31
0
salary retroactively? Isn't that somehow against Federal Labor Laws? If any F/A or Pilot got a $0.00 paycheck, you know darned well there would be some sort of "work action/stoppage"

----------------
[/quote]

All the unions that have ratified a new contract likewise ratified the retroactive pay cut. Given that the retroactive paycut was contractual, it superceeds federal and local laws.

As for the flight attendants, although there were a number of displeased faces when discussing the money being taken back, most were resigned to the fact that it foreseeable.
 

Squonk

Senior
Aug 20, 2002
318
19
Florida
Visit site
What a bunch of manure! The retroactive date of July 1st is another stick in the eye. If they are going to take money from us, they should take it out $20.00 per check. Leaving people short on cash to meet their obligations is pretty darned cold. In my humble opinion!
 

757fixer

Advanced
Aug 20, 2002
226
2
Funny how in all the years I've been here I've only recieved one retro check after a contract agreement.That was back in about 83.Now that they have us in a corner they want to kick us in the nuts and have us give them a retro check.Why not just extend the give backs by two months?
 

insp89

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
1,286
6
CLT
Visit site
This "reverse retro" trash is also in the IAM "take it or leave it" offer. IAM members, read and heed, Just vote NO and let the judge throw this "reverse retro" out the window.
 

Uriah

Newbie
Aug 20, 2002
1
0
Retroactive deductions are legal, but ONLY if you agree to let the company do them. Had the tentatives been rejected or had the retroactive clause been removed from the tentatives, then the Company would not have been allowed to touch any of our money legally. Sucks to be us, but we did it to ourselves. [:blackeye:]
 

Meriel

Member
Aug 19, 2002
63
0
Someone up topic posted why not take it out over several months. Quite simple -- the company doesn't believe it has several months to get it from you. If they go into liquidation with you still "owing" retroactive pay, it'd be a heck of a lot harder to collect than if they just take it all now. Still 75% from one check and 25% from the next is better than 100% from a check.
 

tadjr

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
3,511
100
TPA
www.airlineforums.com
----------------
On 8/21/2002 6:04:40 PM

Still 75% from one check and 25% from the next is better than 100% from a check.
----------------

As long as you know what check the 75% is coming from and not having it taken from your "mortgage check" in surprise. I've just refinanced and instead of doing those extra little fixups I was planning on doing, have managed to save a couple of months expenses just in case. I know its hard to do, but it might be wise to put off some of those extra things you were planning on doing right now and have a little cushion available if needed.
 

Latest posts