Hire Steinbrenner!!!

AOG-N-IT

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
www.usaviation.com
N628AU...As completely 100% accurate as your accounts are!! Rest assured that nobody is listening ,where it counts. Or are you still missng that fact?

The Out of service report doesn't show a damn thing , that management is willing to admit too...or show any degree of corrective action toward.

I can assure everyone that reads this..If PHL was the corporate norm..instead of being the mis-guided exception to the norm it is...We would have been BK'd years before if all other stations operated the same way as that zoo does.

Hell , if the rumors about AA are accurate? the first step is Admitting You Have a Problem Then you can begin to solve it!!

Well obviously PHL has some kind of Most Favored Status that allows a blind eye to be turned to all it's self-created disasters.

Between what PHL has done..or caused in relation to Damaged Acft.Lost Tooling and lost capitol Rotable Parts alone..If we were to recieve 1/10th of that loss in the form of a bonus check...on a one time basis? We would never ever have to be concerned about another bill...or another day of work ever.

Heck if we were to get a piece of the action on the Phone Bills alone, from trying to correct thier nightly Foul-ups , we could be rich too.

Again...admission of a problem...is the path toward correcting a problem. Until a very hard look is given to PHL's Stores and Maintenance organization....only more money is going to fly out the window...un-accounted for!!

This is about accountability folks...and PHL shows no earthly signs of it!! Gordon Bethune's Book about CO , was largely sucess oriented around individual accountablity...as well as accounting for every dime.
The results not only got CO out of it's previous mess...it has created a functional role model too. I think a serious read of Gordo-ism is in order...I hope Dave still has his copy? If not?...I can loan him mine...and parts of it are underlined for immediate reference purposes too!

167 was no ones fault, it was traced to a faulty latch and other airbus operators have had problems with it and there is a directive to replace the latches and have two differant mechanics ensure the latches are properly closed after opening.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 11/7/2002 7:46:19 PM LDKIAM wrote:

167 was no ones fault, it was traced to a faulty latch and other airbus operators have had problems with it and there is a directive to replace the latches and have two differant mechanics ensure the latches are properly closed after opening.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Yes, there is fault here. The latches are not inherently faulty, but they are very difficult to tell if they are closed. One must look carefully. I worked the shift this occurred on, so I am pretty in the loop. The mechanics and flight crew both failed in their duties. I have talked to my counterparts about this at America West, and they sufferred a similar problem, and have launched a CD modifying the latch assemblies (they had one come off in a school yard).

Regardless, you are missing the point. Incidents will happen and aircraft will be damaged. When you deal with the types of equipment we do in a 24/7 operation in all types of weather, it is inevitiable. Our incident rates are way too high, however. The attitude of shifting blame by saying it is no one's fault is another reason we are in the situation we are. This is a failure of CRM/MRM. When we started to cut costs, one of the first programs we cut in maintenance was MRM. I found this highly useful training. For those of you who are not familiar, it took the principles of Crew Resource Management, and applied it within the maintenance department to examine why accidents happen and how to break the accident chain.

You also miss the point of no one ever held accountable. Even taking 167 out of the picture, it is small potatoes to the continuing problems we are having. Explain 116. How do you back an aircraft into another if the wingwalkers are doing their jobs? Explain 182. What on God's Green Earth is a bag cart doing anywhere near an aircraft during pushback, much less causing damage? I take it personal when I can't help an aircraft be ready in the morning, or when I must spend the company's limited resources in wasteful ways. Apparently my feelings are in the minority. Many just brush it off. I refuse to. This kind of ineptitude needs to be addressed. Don't sugar coat this important issue!

I think we need to hire George Steinbrenner to oversee things for about a year. Or at least someone who has been to his school of management. If you don''t produce on the field (the only place that counts), you are gone. It is nothing personal, just business. If the rank and file can be cut to the streets and it be just business, why are some in management still hanging on. I never subscribed to an immediate house cleaning, but the time is lagging on and on, the losses keep mounting, and the same boneheaded things keep happening. I can go and on about PHL to start, 3 aircraft badly damaged in about a month (167 cowl incident, 116 backed into another aircraft, 182 gets hit by a bagcart during pushback for heaven''s sake), an engine so robbed of parts and not replaced or the replacement parts got sent and never reinstalled, it required being returned to the shop for rework, constant lost tooling results in aircraft being placed ETR and the associated costs/lost revenues. What is the answer? Set up special procedures for them because they need to be coddled instead of holding someone accountable for their actions (or lack thereof)!

Management at US has never cared about aircraft damage, I have watched ramp managers watching the fleet service guys in charlotte pull tugs within inches of the fuselage and never say a word to them that the only ground equipment allowed 5ft or closer to the airplane is stairtruck, catering truck, belt loader, lav and water trucks and lift truck. As long as the workers are getting the work done, management and the workers diserard safety rules all the time, myself one time took digital pictures of over 100 violations on the ramp and management never cared nor did anything about it. When an airplane gets damaged the manager should get time off also and then maybe someone will start to care about the problem.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 11/7/2002 8:12:22 PM LDKIAM wrote:

Management at US has never cared about aircraft damage, I have watched ramp managers watching the fleet service guys in charlotte pull tugs within inches of the fuselage and never say a word to them that the only ground equipment allowed 5ft or closer to the airplane is stairtruck, catering truck, belt loader, lav and water trucks and lift truck. As long as the workers are getting the work done, management and the workers diserard safety rules all the time, myself one time took digital pictures of over 100 violations on the ramp and management never cared nor did anything about it. When an airplane gets damaged the manager should get time off also and then maybe someone will start to care about the problem.
----------------
[/blockquote]
Excellent Observation LDKIAM...maybe there's another note in favor of MRM...and another one for the Cost Conservation Thread too. Again...it boils down to accountability...and a Manager or Supervisor should be held accountable for the actions or mis-deeds of whom they supervise. I can assure you that actions of that kind would lesson the frequency of these errors.

Are there any COB's open for PHL maintenance supervisors? Looks like we have some volunteers here to go straighten out the situation.

Are there any COB's open for PHL maintenance supervisors? Looks like we have some volunteers here to go straighten out the situation.