More Bad Press

MarkMyWords

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/news/10184504.htm

After reading this article I was infuriated. How our company reacts and treats our customers is appalling. Here are the quotes from the company representative:

A spokesperson for US Airways, Amy Kudwa, acknowledged the airline has had problems delivering baggage to its Philadelphia passengers - sometimes the result of mechanical problems, sometimes the result of not enough workers on the job.

"We are aware it is a hot spot in Philadelphia," said Kudwa, based at US Airways headquarters, in Arlington, Va. "There is an understaffing issue in Philadelphia, and we are working very hard to deal with it."

Kudwa cited "an unusual number of sick calls" contributing to baggage problems last weekend. Other US Airways officials have suggested that unionized baggage handlers may be calling in sick or slowing down their work in response to a recent 21 percent pay cut, spurred by the airline's bankruptcy filing

Not a single apology to any customer. Let's point the fingers at the employees and not at someone in CCY that has set the staffing levels at ridiculous numbers. Let's not point fingers at the fact that someone in CCY continues to plan staffing for "normal operations" when in PHL irregular operations are the norm. Let's not try to head off any consumer complaint letters by taking a proactive stance with the situation. Why were there no managers in the baggage claim area offering customers information? Why were there no managers in baggage claim offering customers a discount voucher for their inconvenience? Instead we will have to wait for each customer to write in and complain before we offer any kind of apology. What about the people that won't complain and will not return? What about the 10-20 people each of them will tell of their horrible experience?

Why do we continue to fail to serve our customers correctly? Why do we fail - from a corporate level - to address the customer inconvenience in a proactive manner? Why do we fail to apologize for our failures as a company, but prefer to point fingers at employee groups and make excuses instead? When are we going to start really fixing the problems in PHL and stop throwing useless layers of management on the problem and yet never resolve anything? For the last couple of years the answer to the Philly Facotr has been to throw more and more managers at the problem....when are they going to start putting more frontline employees on the job to stop the problem from happening in the first place.

The layout of the PHL airport and the environment that they operate in make them a completely different operation from PIT, CLT, LGA, DCA or BOS. To try and staff them similarly is a failure on the part of the people that do the manpower numbers. The person that is ultimately to blame....Uncle Al. I have said it before and I will say it again....the man has lived past his usefulness in this company and should be shown the door. His theories and handeling of incidents like the one above should prove that he doesn't know the first thing about Customer Service. If an airline like WN or B6 were to find themselves in a similar situation, do you think that would react the same way?

Good day Uncle Al, your services are no longer required here. Please leave your golden parachute at the door and Jump, Jump, Jump! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Mark,

You're absolutely right. Not one crumb of apology for all those customers. :angry: Just blame the employees. That poor woman working baggage service. Where were the managers? Why don't we have managers in place at the baggage area since it's a known problem area? Why aren't there vouchers or something for the poor soul working the situation to give to people? Could a beverage area be set up so at least the waiting customers could have a sip of something?

Great post, Mark. Good questions asked. According the article, even the City Council is trying to do something. What has this airline sunk to that we need the City Council to attempt to solve the problems?

Outrageous.

Dea

Grossly understaffed operations in Piladelphia and a nightmare to travel through on a good day. A website so hard to navigate through customers give up. Under staffing in res, potential customers hang up and dial the competition or go online to the competitions user friendly website.

How can this company be losing money. Their only pushing the customer to the competition. This ship is on final approach to oblivion !!!

hhhmmm:::: why not have the employees vent their frustrations out in the news medias and the papers about the horrendous treatments we have been receiving from this crumby no good lying bunch of vampires? i mean if they are willing to go to the news medias and the papers about the baggage situation and blame the employees for it all, then why not have all of phlly and usair based employees take it right back to the papers about the disgusting pays and bonuses given to the vampires and the sh!tty treatment we receive daily from usair. i think it is only fair

MarkMyWords said:
Kudwa cited "an unusual number of sick calls" contributing to baggage problems last weekend. Other US Airways officials have suggested that unionized baggage handlers may be calling in sick or slowing down their work in response to a recent 21 percent pay cut, spurred by the airline's bankruptcy filing[/b].[/i]

The "holiday operations" incentive program that we've put in place will help reduce the sick calls.

MMW, You blame PHL management but they are showing up for their scheduled shifts.

We should have normal operations during the Thanksgiving weekend. We might even have a deal with one union by then.

Hawk said:
The "holiday operations" incentive program that we've put in place will help reduce the sick calls.

MMW, You blame PHL management but they are showing up for their scheduled shifts.

We should have normal operations during the Thanksgiving weekend. We might even have a deal with one union by then.
[post="201150"][/post]​

No Hawk, treating the employees like human beings would be a start. F the space positive tickets. Basically, nobody can afford to go anywhere with the paycuts.

Hawk -

I do not blame the PHL problems totally on management there, I blame Uncle Al. Every time there is a staffing "adjustment" in PHL, they attempt to staff the hub for "normal operations". The only thing "normal" about PHL is the fact that it runs abnormally more then not. PHL will never operate like CLT or even PIT (when it was a hub). Usiing the same staffing models as both of those cities doesn't work in PHL due to the type of operation, the geography and the conditions (ATC/Weather) that influence our operation.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the sick call issue and would never condone anyone calling in sick as a matter of protest. The reason for my post was to bring some light on the fact that when these situations do occur, we never step up to the plate as a company.

Since you may or may not be in the know, why wasn't there a manager or 2, 3, 4 in the baggage claim area helping to keep the peace? If there was someone there, then I don't think you would have heard an agent making an announcement about the 20% paycut, etc.

Why wasn't there a public apology to the customers effected? What are we, as a company, doing for the customers? I can tell you.....nothing. At least not until they write in a complaint.

Let me relay an experience that I had on a competitor recently. I was on a flight that departed on time and returned to the gate (twice) with a mechanical. After the second time, we changed airplanes and departed 3 hours late. As we walked off the plane to change aircraft, we were each handed a packet that contained a phone card, an apology, a drink coupon and a 25.00 discount for a future flight. All this before there was even an opportunity to complain.

We have a major meltdown and we can't even say I'm sorry! That is totally unacceptable.

Hawk, let me ask you another thing. how have the employees on the ramp in PHL been treated lately? Since we know there is a sick issue and employees are refusing mandatory overtime, what are we doing? Are we, as a company, beating and berating ALL employees or are we, as a company, thanking the employees that ARE giving 110% while disciplining the ones that are causing the problem? I can pretty much tell you that the beatings are being dispursed to everyone. Is that right? Imagine you are an employee that gives 110% and you end up really sick, now you are being disciplined! Bull Feathers!

There is so much that we did wrong that I think you, or anyone else would be hard pressed to point out what we did right. We need to be more proactive and take care of the customers that pay the bills. In an incident like this, we need to be kissing a lot of a$$ to make sure we don't lose a single one to our competitors.

Hawk said:

[post="201150"][/post]​

The "holiday operations" incentive program is a joke.

When most of the employees I know are buying full fare tickets on other aiirlines instead of giving hard earned money to crooks, why would they care about a positive space ticket with strings?

This situation in PHL has been going on for a long time and every event brings one of managements mouthpieces to the podium, only to blame labor AGAIN.

Passengers have seen through this line of crap and are avoiding US Airways because sick calls or not, management has been unable or unwilling to give them what they need, and finger pointing by grown, educated people just doesn't get it.

linemech.

I get the hint that Hawk might be in management (or the lack thereof) for USAirways Group.

Here's a thought.....

Let's see....we take a disgruntled work force that's been through two rounds of wage concessions, pork them with court-ordered paycuts, resort to bare bones staffing at a very busy and not terribly well designed airport.......and then act surprised when a goodly number of folks call in sick. Hmmmm.

I think this, in a nutshell, tells you everything you need to know about what's wrong with USAirways.

Management fails to plan, therefore, they plan to fail.

The prudent manager would have thought that, during the period of time while people are absorbing the most recent draconian pay cuts, sick call WOULD VERY LIKELY increase. The prudent manager would have staffed accordingly.

The prudent manager would have put some managerial types in the fill-out-the-lost-baggage-report room with some travel vouchers and make a table with a coffee pot, bottled water, maybe some soft drinks.

The prudent manager would have offered customers an apology, rather than a litany of excuses.

Why should the employees strike and kill this ailing beast, once and for all? because the ham-handed managers in Crystal city don't deserve to have employees like they've got (and abuse for fun and profit).

I believe it is evident that this managemeent team is willing to take a "HIT" in the short term in order to get what they want in the long term. At this point in time, they could care less about passengers OR employees [in fact, they want most employees gone]. Is management surprised about the shape this airline is in ?? NA, They orchestrated this situation.

:unsure: Hi all -

I don't work for US, but I travel on them nearly exclusively. I have read quite a number of threads & posts here with a lot of name calling, bad mouthing, and general discontent highly evident.

I can sympathize with everyone who works at US & I agree with the employees when I read that poor management has been an ongoing problem at the airline for years & the feeling is that this has not changed.

I travel US because it goes to all the places that I need to go to. In general, I have found the service to be quite good; sometimes exemplary, other times not so good. I work in healthcare & know that things don't always run the way that's planned, so I don't take it out on the airline staff when things aren't 100% right.

As a traveler, I am encouraged by the "transformation plan" that is unfolding right now. I believe with some time & support by employees & travelers alike that the plan will work. Look at AA, UAL, DL, NW, and CO - they are all heading the same direction as US - they just have more cash in reserve and can proceed less dramatically then US.

I hope that you will work with your management team and turn the airline around. I have considered alternate airlines but none offer me the same service that I have had on US. SW was terrible. DL equally so. UAL was good, but I have flown them only once. AA does not fly here. So.... I hope that you will remember your good & loyal customers who sympathize with you but who also don't want to feel the fallout from bad relations with your management.

I'll be thinking of you all...!

resqicunurse said:

I don't work for US, but I travel on them nearly exclusively. I have read quite a number of threads & posts here with a lot of name calling, bad mouthing, and general discontent highly evident.

I can sympathize with everyone who works at US & I agree with the employees when I read that poor management has been an ongoing problem at the airline for years & the feeling is that this has not changed.

I travel US because it goes to all the places that I need to go to. In general, I have found the service to be quite good; sometimes exemplary, other times not so good. I work in healthcare & know that things don't always run the way that's planned, so I don't take it out on the airline staff when things aren't 100% right.

As a traveler, I am encouraged by the "transformation plan" that is unfolding right now. I believe with some time & support by employees & travelers alike that the plan will work. Look at AA, UAL, DL, NW, and CO - they are all heading the same direction as US - they just have more cash in reserve and can proceed less dramatically then US.

I hope that you will work with your management team and turn the airline around. I have considered alternate airlines but none offer me the same service that I have had on US. SW was terrible. DL equally so. UAL was good, but I have flown them only once. AA does not fly here. So.... I hope that you will remember your good & loyal customers who sympathize with you but who also don't want to feel the fallout from bad relations with your management.

I'll be thinking of you all...!
[post="201206"][/post]​
How about the Mgt. team work with employees thats where the problem lies. :down: :down: :down:

resqicunurse said:

Welcome to the board! And thanks for your kind - and sensible- words.
If I may ask, how did your hear about these gilded pages?

Cheers,
DCMS

PS You might want to check out the discussion forums over at flyertalk.com.