Homophobic SWA FA

A friend just sent me that link. i'm always discrete when flying, especially after an altercation on a red-eye while flying United, as a revenue passenger, (Premier Exec status) seated in Economy Plus. Friend and I were just "snuggling" when rednecks across the aisle threw a fit. FA initially asked us to move to a different row where we could be more comfy (He was at aisle, i took middle, nice lady at window). I showed her my card, asked why do I have to move when the folks complaining weren't premiers... she explained to the other pax that they can ignore it or move, pax demanded they move US, she said i'm actually eligible to sit in E+, they aren't, and if they continue to have a problem with it, they will be dealt with by the captain.

when we landed, a United sup greeted us at the gate and upgraded us on the next leg. Was a nice gesture they didn't have to do, because after the FA mentioned the captain, a few people around us started cheering & clapping.

:)

What I hate about this story is that it's just the one side and, if even 50% true, totally unacceptable.

The other problem is we'll, no doubt, hash this out, here at USAviation, never having a full grasp of the situation, facts, or follow-up. There are several questions, I already have, but won't ever enjoy an answer.

I know there are 'bad apples' at SWA, like any company, but that doesn't in any way mean I would condone the reported behavior.

If you find yourself in a situation on a SWA flight, remember there are three flight attendants on all of our flights. Ask for help, in the reasonable way reported by the individuals in the story. Also, get witnesses to your side of the story (names, phone numbers). It'll help SWA hold employees, like the one reported in the story, accountable.

My only question in incidents like this or other "discrimination" type lawsuits (which apparently the person in the article plans to do) is this - which would be more satisfactory...to rid Southwest of a homophobic FA, or rid SWA's bank account of some cash with an admonition to the FA to "not say ### on a plane"? It's kind of like the einey meeny miney moe lawsuit - if that is discriminatory or harassing, wouldn't it be better to press for the termination of the offending employee? Apparently it wasn't for the plaintiff..and the courts decided that it wasn't worth money either. I dunno....I think any person who files a lawsuit for "discrimination" against any airline (even UAL mags) and should a jury award even a dollar, the award should come with the stipulation that the plaintiff never set foot on that companies aircraft again in the future.

FWIW, I guess I could have filed some lawsuit against Piedmont back in the 80's ago when an FA, who apparently was going thru a divorce and not at all happy with men at the time, treated me very rudely and didn't offer me a second coke. And all I did was sit in my seat and put my headphones on at the gate to listen to my Walkman. She scolded me (even though at that time, Delta, American, Western and United - airlines I flew regularly actually allowed you to listen to a Walkman DURING takeoff and landing) to TAKE THOSE HEADPHONES OFF. I complied, not even mentioning that it was permissible on the other airlines I flew. I did not want to cause a scene. But then, during peanut service - she REFUSED to give me a second bag...even though my sister, seated across the aisle from me got a second bag. And when I asked if I might be able to have a whole can - she GLARED at me. On final into DAY, when the announcement was made to bring seat backs and tray tables to their full upright and locked position, she literally SLAMMED the tray table up and told be to bring the seatback up...this was merely seconds after the announcement was made. I noticed that she told my sister very politely to bring her seatback up. Very, VERY discriminatory. Now, what actually happened was I happened to encounter an FA who was having a bad day. She was a bit rude, but I embellished my story just slightly. As I am sure this one was embellished.

:huh: :huh: :huh: The bigger question is - Why would any self respecting gay person fly Southwest? Just look around and see who they cater to ... lower class white-trash! Plain and simple I avoid and will NEVER fly on SW for that exact reason. Its an anti-gay, classless airline. Next time guys plan ahead and fly smart- BOYCOTT SOUTHTRASH!

:huh: :huh: :huh: The bigger question is - Why would any self respecting gay person fly Southwest? Just look around and see who they cater to ... lower class white-trash! Plain and simple I avoid and will NEVER fly on SW for that exact reason. Its an anti-gay, classless airline. Next time guys plan ahead and fly smart- BOYCOTT SOUTHTRASH!

Who do you think you are? What makes you think your better than anyone else?

People like you make me sick!

Wow, I am in shock. Just shock.

I agree with swflyer about bad apples. Every airline has them. Thing is, I like to think those of us who work in the industry, especially flight deck and cabin crew, are a little bit more open minded than those in most industies, cuz, let's face it, we maintain all sorts of professional relationships with gays at work all the time.

NAPAUS: I understand your frustration... but don't leap to conclusions... there are many gay WN employees who do their job happily (as well as many open-minded straight ones)... I must confess I am ignorant about WN's employee benefits with regard to same-sex partnerships, but I imagine it is comparable to the industry...

The thing that I keep coming back to is that this person.... apparently... works with gays all the time and still has this prehistoric attitude. She (if this is true) obviously doesn't deserve to work for any 21'st century airline. She should be fired and perhaps see if Eastern circa 1926 is hiring cabin crew.

P.S. - a lot is said about how conservative pilots can be. But aside from the wonderful openly gay and supportive straight pilots I know, there is no one I respect more than my own father, a former TWA pilot who was the best dad I could have ever hoped for when I came out to him when I was younger.

I'll be emailing the authors of the article and I'll tell them that they will always be welcome on F9, and if I happen to work the flight, I'll be extra conscious of their comfort.

NAPAUS obviously hasn't flown the "New" USAirways lately :p

I actually enjoy flying on Southwest --- I know I'll get a few extra inches of legroom, some fantastic staff (I've had the ONE bad apple before and she wasn't barking very badly), and I know I'll get there in a clean plane and ON TIME.

I doubt this little story will stir up more commotion than it already has -- I believe this was an isolated event.

Or at least lets hope so.

Does this mean that if a SWA employee nonrevs on one of your flights, it's okay for them to sue you after you spit on them?

Surely this homophobic flight attendant has flown with a gay male flight attendant before. Is she nasty to her gay coworkers, too? And, if that is so, I find it hard to believe that no one has filed a complaint about her before. Perhaps she is now being nasty because a gay male F/A just stole her pilot husband or something...

Yaawn....I would respond but why.

Clearly my retort to this idiotic post cannot match the issues in your life that has resulted in you posting it in the first place.

Finally, thanks for NOT flying Southwest.

Yaawn....I would respond but why.

Clearly my retort to this idiotic post cannot match the issues in your life that has resulted in you posting it in the first place.

Finally, thanks for NOT flying Southwest.

I think what really bothers you is that he is right. The gays don't typically fly Southwest because they are too concerned about image, etc. They fly real airlines like American or United. They would also fly JetBlue or Virgin America, but NOT airlines like Southwest or, *gasp*, Skybus.

I think what really bothers you is that he is right. The gays don't typically fly Southwest because they are too concerned about image, etc. They fly real airlines like American or United. They would also fly JetBlue or Virgin America, but NOT airlines like Southwest or, *gasp*, Skybus.
So are you saying that gays by nature are prejudicial?