Honoring Retirees

EricLv2Fish

Veteran
Aug 25, 2005
Certainely retired folks should be shown respect from not only the company, but from active employees as well. Most of us know by now the new company policy of active employees receiving a higher boarding priority than retirees is in place. Perhaps it will be reconsidered if there is enough negative feedback on this particular subject. Another alternative would be to brainstorm some new fresh ideas of showing due respect...such as giving them ...are they still called flexi passes?...or allowing them to be seated in FC if available. Wouldn't it be nice to give our retirees something meaningful no other airline provides their retirees? Remember in brainstorming don't be to critical of someone's idea...it will stiffle the process. Retirees we need to hear from you. Okay...get ready....go!

Lost Pension.... now coming from PBGC.
Lost Health insurance... coming from COBRA.
Lost 150+ sick days when retired. (my fault)
Now lost 38+ yrs of senority when traveling on pass.

One thing I haven't lost, my voice. I can tell everyone how I have been treated....in the past and how it is treating me now after retirement.

It is painfully obvious the leaders of this company could care less about the dedicated efforts and sacrifices of
thousands of employees just to keep the company alive
so they could decide to let some new employees, who could
care less about the job or the company, board before those
that refused to give up and let the company die. They
ditched our pension, pulled the rug on health insurance
so I guess we should have seen this coming. I guess it
is amazing that they didn't make us all pay service
charges but then again there is still time to do that
or just allow retiree's a very limited number of passes
per year and valid only on Tuesday's and Wednesday's.
It has been stated that the industry consolidation
isn't over so those so eager to push all the retiree
out of the way could very well get a rude awaking themselves.

Phoenix,

Hush your mouth! You know they'd come to the employees for the hair and many of us don't have much to spare!

:lol:

Dea

Phoenix,
Hush your mouth! You know they'd come to the employees for the hair and many of us don't have much to spare!

:lol:

Dea

AH...but soon all the employees will be new and young, as soon as they sh*t can the old liabilities. New hires, low wages, less bennies, but great flight benifits...just what a 20 yr old wants. Just waint and see.

Waa Waa Waa... no one owes you crap cookie.. I hope you enjoy every cent I pay into your Social Security... The same SS you will draw out 10 times what you put in. BOO HOO. Did you work for free all those years? If you would have invested a just a fraction of your salary that in the stock market you'd be reading this from your laptop hooked up to the satellite phone on your Yacht. Go buy your drugs from canada.

Waa Waa Waa... no one owes you crap cookie.. I hope you enjoy every cent I pay into your Social Security... The same SS you will draw out 10 times what you put in. BOO HOO. Did you work for free all those years? If you would have invested a just a fraction of your salary that in the stock market you'd be reading this from your laptop hooked up to the satellite phone on your Yacht. Go buy your drugs from canada.

Another compassionate with no soul heard from.

Man you are really amazing. You can express yourself so much better than most 11th graders. :huh:

no one at America West has ever been offered a pension.. We never had it so we don't know what was lost... I have been putting 18% of my paycheck into my 401K since I was eligible...
A 401K is the low cost carrier way of thinking.. Even WN doesn't offer a pension plan..
I am truly sorry for all of you that were counting on your pension.. I cant even imagine having to start over, but for my husband and myself we have been taking care of our own retirement from day one..

no one at America West has ever been offered a pension.. We never had it so we don't know what was lost... I have been putting 18% of my paycheck into my 401K since I was eligible...
A 401K is the low cost carrier way of thinking.. Even WN doesn't offer a pension plan..
I am truly sorry for all of you that were counting on your pension.. I cant even imagine having to start over, but for my husband and myself we have been taking care of our own retirement from day one..

18% wow, thats fabulous by any standards ( I contribute the federal maximums myself). You will surely reap the benefits of sound financial judgement and planning. Posts like this make my day!

To the rest of you... Aesop - The Ant and the Grasshopper? Don't be the grasshopper then come and cry to me mofo.

Just for the record. America West never had a pension of any kind, nor were any able to be negotiated. It was an indication of the time in this country and in this industry, that profit margins were too narrow. At AWA, you were able to retire at age 50 with at least 10 years of service. Upon retirement you received free flight benefits and I'm not sure of the boarding priority. No cash given, no health insurance. Retirees who helped a company along not only need the FREE flight benefits, but also receive a few complimentary upgrades per year and two positive space tickets anywhere in the system per year, non transferrable.

More importantly, a retiree that has over 25 years, should not walk out that door on their last day as if it's just another day. They should be recognized personally for their dedication, support and contributions to the success of the company. I know for me, after starting near day one with this company, I would hate to walk out that door and nobody notice me leaving.

Back