Honoring Retirees

for travel benefits:
honor retirees with the same priority as active employees...DOH!!!

they earned it!

it is that simple!

there are no short cuts here..

face that fact ....embrace it....retirees are not the enemy !

for in the blink of an eye, they are you!

this must become part of our corporate culture ...to do anything less is unhealthy,

and promotes a culture of disrespect for decades to come!

unhealthy is not good for corporate culture..lets get this right from the start..

revisit this decision immediately , and do the right thing!

retirees travel same priority as active...DOH!

what is the root of the fear that generated this decision of disrespect?

why does awa fear retirees? why are retirees perceived as a threat?

these retirees were among the hardest working, fastest thinking people
of their respective generations...some serving our country in times of war and peace..
while serving the corporate entity!

they do not travel as much as you think ,remember ..no pensions..expensive health care..

do the right thing!

step up to the plate and promote a corporate culture of respect and honor retirees and their service properly :

retirees travel same priority as active employees...DOH!

they earned it!

for travel benefits:
honor retirees with the same priority as active employees...DOH!!!

this must become part of our corporate culture ...to do anything less is unhealthy,

and promotes a culture of disrespect for decades to come!

unhealthy is not good for corporate culture..lets get this right from the start..

revisit this decision immediately , and do the right thing!

retirees travel same priority as active...DOH!
I agree.....a company that would do this to their retirees could do something similar to active employees. This decision is short-sighted and ill-concieved.

I agree.....a company that would do this to their retirees could do something similar to active employees. This decision is short-sighted and ill-concieved.

Trust me, THEY WILL! And the child who made the "wah wah wah" comments will get his eventually, then we will hear a totally differnt cry.

Just give us our Health Insurance. And they can keep there damm flight bennies.
:up:
LOL! AMEN! That wont ever happen though, too expensive.

Certainely retired folks should be shown respect from not only the company, but from active employees as well. Most of us know by now the new company policy of active employees receiving a higher boarding priority than retirees is in place. Perhaps it will be reconsidered if there is enough negative feedback on this particular subject. Another alternative would be to brainstorm some new fresh ideas of showing due respect...such as giving them ...are they still called flexi passes?...or allowing them to be seated in FC if available. Wouldn't it be nice to give our retirees something meaningful no other airline provides their retirees? Remember in brainstorming don't be to critical of someone's idea...it will stiffle the process. Retirees we need to hear from you. Okay...get ready....go!
Eric, I applaud your efforts but I'm afraid it will fall on deaf ears as far as the powers that be are concerned. These are younger people watching out for themselves and have no intention of sticking it out to retirement at the same company. We are the last generation to make lifetime careers. People dont have the loyalty anymore. Of course, it can be pointed out that corporate America doesnt either. :( Casein point.

Waa Waa Waa... no one owes you crap cookie.. I hope you enjoy every cent I pay into your Social Security... The same SS you will draw out 10 times what you put in. BOO HOO. Did you work for free all those years? If you would have invested a just a fraction of your salary that in the stock market you'd be reading this from your laptop hooked up to the satellite phone on your Yacht. Go buy your drugs from canada.

Maybe you should consider changing your name to USAir begins with ME!
I dont know about the rest but SS is a long way off for me. I paid into it for 38 years and with two incomes and no kids, I paid DEARLY. We did invest and are very fortunate, we kept life simple and have no debt.
With an attitude like yours, I'm guessing you wont last long in the service industry. Good luck on your next career.

why does awa fear retirees? why are retirees perceived as a threat?

retirees travel same priority as active employees...DOH!

they earned it!

Because retirees are a pretty much foreign entity to them. I think the only ones they have, were older to begin with.

Lost Pension.... now coming from PBGC.
Lost Health insurance... coming from COBRA.
Lost 150+ sick days when retired. (my fault)
Now lost 38+ yrs of senority when traveling on pass.

One thing I haven't lost, my voice. I can tell everyone how I have been treated....in the past and how it is treating me now after retirement.

Gee, my pension isnt lost, if I have to go on COBRA, it will ALMOST cover my monthly medical insurance. ;)

I don't mean to sound crass here -- just want to continue the discussion and debate...

It seems to me, that when you retire from most any company, if you've been there a while you get a gift from your management/co-workers and a thank-you for all your hard work -- but the "perks" end there (not benefits -- perks). People that have worked for UPS or FedEx don't get free shipping for life, for example (heck, UPS active employees don't even get a discount!) Most people in this country do NOT work for a large corporation and do not have pensions and/or 401K's -- many, many of today's retirees have worked for small companies -- selling, building, laboring -- to do what it takes to feed their families, usually. Hopefully, they've saved for retirement -- most haven't.

As a former HP employee, I never had a pension, so like another poster, I don't know what it's like to lose one -- but is it really "lost"? I don't understand -- I thought the PBGC (or whatever the initials are) took over the USA pensions? Does that mean that you don't get everything you put in and that it just comes from the government, now, instead of the airline? Please -- don't flame me -- I need enligtening here regarding how that works...

I think active employees should always have boarding priority over retirees (AND dependents travelling without the employee, too). I think if you are "actively" contributing to running the current airline, you deserve to board ahead of those I just mentioned -- even if you're a plebe. You're an active employee -- you perform a necessary function of the CURRENT airline... Yes, Yes, Yes -- I recognize the contributions of those that have retired, but frankly, I've got a job to do and need to get there or home or wherever!

I'm trying to think of any industry that continues to give retirees "perks" after they're retired -- any one have any examples? I mean, do people that retire from the corner gas station get free gas for life? Do people that retire from Anheasur Busch get free beer for life? Do people that retire from RJ Reynolds get free cigarettes for life? If you retire from the post office, do you get free stamps for life? If you retire from Goodyear do you get free tires and blimp rides for life? I'm trying to get some perspective here as to how other industries treat their retirees? What about Worldcom and Enron? How are those retirees doing?

I think retirees should continue to fly for free (or a very small fee, like HP parents), but not board ahead of active, current employees. Especially considering the pittance of a wage today's employees are making compared to the retirees, too!

I'm trying to think of any industry that continues to give retirees "perks" after they're retired -- any one have any examples? I mean, do people that retire from the corner gas station get free gas for life? Do people that retire from Anheasur Busch get free beer for life? Do people that retire from RJ Reynolds get free cigarettes for life? If you retire from the post office, do you get free stamps for life? If you retire from Goodyear do you get free tires and blimp rides for life? I'm trying to get some perspective here as to how other industries treat their retirees?

You are comparing apples to oranges here. All of the examples you used list actual commodities that a company had to pay for. Us dioesnt add flights for non revs. The plane is going, fixed cost. We get a seat if one is available. Im also sure the companies you listed dont give away their products to employees. :D

This is an interesting topic. I know someone who has retired from a Major Airline. His wife and him travel a great deal. They always travel stand by. Sometimes they have to reschedule or go to "plan B", but they always get where they need to go.

A retiree usually has a more "flexible" time schedule. I can only believe that is true for most retirees. A current employee who is working a full time job doesn't have the luxury of a flexible time table most of the time. There is a limited amount of time for the active employee to travel.

IMHO the active employee should be given a higher status than a retired employee, as far as boarding is concerned.

I don't consider this to be disrespecting our retired employees. :)

Reading a few replies on here and especially the ones with a "secured" soul, like "usair_begins_with_u", you people are clueless and living in a bubble you call your perfect little world that that is a happy place because "YOU" made sure of it. This you believe is your own doing because you are a gifted individual and don't need anything except the brains you were gifted with to figure out how to create your very comfortable reality, which you accomplished.

When you look out your window and see others struggling you don't feel sorry for them, you laugh and make fun of them because they don't have your "gift".

It is written and for very good reason these words. "The First will be Last and the Last will be First"

If this life called our mortal life lasted forever you would be justified throwing arrows, but it doesn't and "when" it ends all your own arrows will be piercing you without mercy and for eternity.

This is an interesting topic. I know someone who has retired from a Major Airline. His wife and him travel a great deal. They always travel stand by. Sometimes they have to reschedule or go to "plan B", but they always get where they need to go.

Isnt this true of ANY non rev?

A retiree usually has a more "flexible" time schedule. I can only believe that is true for most retirees. A current employee who is working a full time job doesn't have the luxury of a flexible time table most of the time. There is a limited amount of time for the active employee to travel.

This "more flexible" applies only if you happen to be in your 80's and not working. Why does everyone equate retiree with old people? Of the 9 that retired in my station, the eldest was 62. Most were early to mid 50's. Everyone of us got another job and we dont have the swapping abilities we did as employees. We have less vacation time and cant swap. HOW is that more flexible?

IMHO the active employee should be given a higher status than a retired employee, as far as boarding is concerned.

Spoken like an active employee or assuming retirees sit home all day and for EXCITEMENT, go to the mall and sit. LOL!
I don't consider this to be disrespecting our retired employees. :)

And if I was still active and had a chance to move up when non reving, I might be thinking the same thing. Sooner or later, all the actives will get their own screwing in some way or another. Just wait. ;-)

Apparently ChrisUS you are not retired, if you are still working. If you have a job somewhere else then of course it will get in the way of your travel "flexibility". So you must do some traveling then? Do you have trouble getting a flight? :)

Apparently ChrisUS you are not retired, if you are still working. If you have a job somewhere else then of course it will get in the way of your travel "flexibility". So you must do some traveling then? Do you have trouble getting a flight? :)

As far as the company is concerned, "retired" means you no longer work for them and have enough years of service and age to leave. I no longer work for US. It would be nice if the company said, ok, you no longer work for us but do have a job somewhere else so we will consider you "active". Can you imagine the paperwork and mess THAT would create? I have traveled in the past and did some this month. Like every non rev, sometimes it's easy, sometimes it's not. The new policy doesnt take effct until 2006. What gets all of us "retired" peoples goat, I had to show the agents in PHL and RIC how to list and clear me. One even asked if I could drive her jetway for her! These are the people that will now be cleared ahead of me and have better seats. Yup, totally fair. NOT!

As far as the company is concerned, "retired" means you no longer work for them and have enough years of service and age to leave.

That was funny about the agent needing help and driving the jet way, but remember Chris we were all "beginners" at one time. I would say they were lucky to have you there to help out. I am sure that you taught someone something that day. If they didn't say it I will...Thanks. :)

A retiree usually has a more "flexible" time schedule. I can only believe that is true for most retirees.

I would like to know what makes you believe that retirees have so much flexible time. I bet most retirees need to find employment somewhere. I bet some retirees are up in years and don't have much time left for anything. And then some retirees have health issues and may not be around much longer also. Maybe the retirees of yesteryear may have been more "flexible" but today things are different. Retirees today were too young to retire when pensions were good and too old when 401k's were available to amass much of an account. Please try to understand what these people are dealing with.

That was funny about the agent needing help and driving the jet way, but remember Chris we were all "beginners" at one time. I would say they were lucky to have you there to help out. I am sure that you taught someone something that day. If they didn't say it I will...Thanks. :)

They were both very nice and grateful. :) I was the "answer guy" at work, the unofficial trainer. I always remembered what it was like to not know what I was doing ( the fast pulse and sweats) and vowed I'd NEVER let it happen to a fellow employee. I was non reving through BWI ( when it was a hub) just after we switched to SABRE. I showed them how to program keys to help them sine in faster and how to print their releases. Its always fun to help someone and make their life easier. Guess thats why I worked customer service for 33 years !
Thanks for your note my friend. :D

I would like to know what makes you believe that retirees have so much flexible time. I bet most retirees need to find employment somewhere. Retirees today were too young to retire when pensions were good and too old when 401k's were available to amass much of an account. Please try to understand what these people are dealing with.

If not for the fact that pensions were frozen back in '91 I believe and not worth much but mainly the benefits. Medical for my wife and I under COBRA is over 800.00 a MONTH. I cant touch my 401K for 4 more years. Im sure there are a lot of people in my postion. We are more fortunate than most though in that we were savers and investors. Retirees nowadays are people that have chosen to seek employment elsewhere and are old enough to keep their pass privilges. NOTHING is flexible anymore. LOL!

Back