I am once again proud of my union

Status
Not open for further replies.

flynomore

Advanced
Apr 26, 2003
---------------If anyone wants, I will also post the form letter--it is a scream.

MEC CODE-A-PHONE UPDATE

July 30, 2003

This is Roy Freundlich with a US Airways MEC update for Wednesday, July 30, with one new item.
As we reported last week, US Airways management, in conjunction with the chief pilot offices, has been submitting form letters to pilots in crew room mailboxes. These form letters ask you to respond to remarks put into your lines by crew schedulers and other clerical workers. This process obviously does nothing to help pilots or improve operations; it only provides you the opportunity to incriminate yourself and be exposed to disciplinary action beyond the scope of our Contract. The Association is challenging the legality of the form letter’s use and content, and we strongly recommend you do not fill it out without first contacting the Contract Hotline at 800 USAIRMEC.

In the meantime, since management feels the need to manage by form-letter, we thought it would be useful for employees to communicate via form-letter to management on some of their many ill-conceived actions. We have prepared a form letter for David Siegel, Neil Cohen, Jerry Glass, and Bruce Ashby to fill out and return to you. This respond-to-employees, quality airline form letter is posted on the MEC website at www.usairwayspilots.org

Here’s how it works. First review management’s long and distinguished record of frequent operational and contractual abuses. Then check the box next to one or all of the senior managers listed that you wish to receive a response from.

Next, check the appropriate remark acronym(s) that identifies the issue you are seeking a response to. For example, on management’s form to pilots they have a box to check next to the acronym NSI which represents Not Signed In, which you are then requested to respond to because a clerical worker put that remark in your line.

On the employee to management quality airline form, the following are examples of acronyms you can select for management to respond to you:

NO CLU = Negative Operational Consequences, Leadership Unconcerned

CRAP = Clueless Reduction of Airline Personnel

SCAM = Special Considerations for Airline Management

ECC = Excessive Corner Cutting

This form letter also helps management fill out the management response section by providing examples of remarks that are already widely known by US Airways employees and would be of little use as an explanation. For example, we ask that management not reply with statement like, I am out of touch with employees and don’t know how to treat people fairly. We are looking for more issue-based responses describing situations we may not be aware of as employees.

There are many contract violation or operational neglect issues to choose from. Select whichever applies to your concern and then COMAT or U.S. mail the form to management and await their response. There is no limit on the amount of forms you may submit. You may want to share this form with your friends and colleagues in the other labor groups.

Please download the form at usairwayspilots.org and begin registering your concerns to management, today. Your MEC representatives thank you in advance for participating.

Please remember we have 1,879 pilots on furlough.

Thank you for listening.

Well, I think this is a hoot!! Please post the form letter!!

And ridicule can be quite an effective tool! As Martin Luthor (the one from the middle ages) said: "The one thing the Devil hates is to be laughed at."

-Airlineorphan

flynomore,

My take, airlineorphan is so right. Here's the point...did you ever think you would get the 5% back?

Mangement hates to be condescended. I think it is good and high time ALPA throws the "crap" back at the company.

What' implied here is "You can lead the horse to the water...but you can't make him drink".

So now, what's mangement's point?

[SIZE= 12pt]ISSUE DATE:__________________________[/SIZE]

NAME:
[SIZE= 13.5pt]Dave Siegel,[/SIZE][SIZE= 13.5pt] [/SIZE]US Airways President and CEO
[SIZE= 13.5pt] [/SIZE]Neil [SIZE= 13.5pt]Cohen[/SIZE][SIZE= 13.5pt], [/SIZE][SIZE= 13.5pt]US[/SIZE][SIZE= 13.5pt] Airways CFO [/SIZE][SIZE= 13.5pt][/SIZE]
[SIZE= 13.5pt] [/SIZE]Jerry Glass, Senior VP -- Employee Relations
[SIZE= 13.5pt] [/SIZE]Bruce Ashby, [SIZE= 13.5pt]President[/SIZE][SIZE= 13.5pt] of US Airways Express[/SIZE][SIZE= 13.5pt][/SIZE]

This letter is to advise you that our records indicate that on _____________, the following entry was posted in your record for the month of ______________. Please respond within seven (7) days from issue date. If you should require any further details regarding this incident, please contact your employees.

[SIZE= 14pt] [/SIZE]SCHEDULING

OPERATIONS

[SIZE= 13.5pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 13.5pt]POTA[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 13.5pt]Priority of Trip Assignment[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 13.5pt]BTF[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 13.5pt]Block Time Falsification [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 13.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 13.5pt]ERST[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 13.5pt]Excessive R to S Transitions[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 13.5pt]SJSV[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 13.5pt]Small Jet Scope Violation[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 13.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 13.5pt]SAOP[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 13.5pt]Scheduler Abuse of Pilot[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 13.5pt]ECC[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 13.5pt]Excessive Corner Cutting[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 13.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 13.5pt]MSLA[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 13.5pt]Management Sick Leave Abuse[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 13.5pt]SCAM[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 13.5pt]Special Considerations for Airline Management[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 13.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 13.5pt]CRAP[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 13.5pt]Clueless Reductions of Airline Personnel[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 13.5pt]NO CLU[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 13.5pt]Negative Operational Consequences, Leadership Unconcerned[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 13.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE= 13.5pt]UCV [/SIZE]Unspecified Contract Violation (list violation) __________________[SIZE= 14pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 11.5pt]MANAGEMENT RESPONSE[/SIZE][SIZE= 11.5pt]: (Please be specific and at least try to be truthful, but avoid stating the obvious such as, “I am out of touch with employees and don’t know how to treat people fairlyâ€; “I don’t know how to honor employee contractsâ€; “Uh, I think we are still losing money, and the world is coming to an end because . . .â€; “I [/SIZE]am in this for myself and can’t concentrate on both building a quality airline and securing my personal compensation packageâ€; “I often don’t know how to respond to situations other than by violating employee contracts; then it becomes a full-time job trying to blame employees for my mistakes,†etc.)

Sincerely,

US Airways Employees

Mailing Instructions: send by COMAT to the appropriate senior management official.
Siegel: DCA/H840 Glass: DCA/H210
Cohen: DCA/H840 Ashby: DCA/H620

It looks better with the ALPA Letterhead on the top!

"Mangement hates to be condescended"

Can somebody explain this sentence? I know "The Bull" butchers the english language,at times,in his/her enthusiasm to castigate MANAGEMENT. This string of words is truly remarkable for the lack of definition.

Is "The Bull" trying to say MANAGEMENT is condescending?

Or, is the message that MANAGEMENT does not appreciate to be the subject of a condescending act/attitude toward them as human beings?

I always find much of what "The Bull" writes is full of malapropism and hyperbole. His/Her writings seems to be soooooooooo anti-management that GOD what not please his/her as CEO.

1.gif

Flynomore,
Thanks for the "form letter" --It is absolutely hysterical!
-Airlineorphan

----------------
On 7/31/2003 9:33:48 PM lindy wrote:

"Mangement hates to be condescended"

Can somebody explain this sentence? I know "The Bull" butchers the english language,at times,in his/her enthusiasm to castigate MANAGEMENT. This string of words is truly remarkable for the lack of definition.

Is "The Bull" trying to say MANAGEMENT is condescending?

Or, is the message that MANAGEMENT does not appreciate to be the subject of a condescending act/attitude toward them as human beings?

I always find much of what "The Bull" writes is full of malapropism and hyperbole. His/Her writings seems to be soooooooooo anti-management that GOD what not please his/her as CEO.

----------------
WHATever.......
Puhleeeeeeeze.... I would rather follow PITbull's lead (whether his or her commentary needs editing or not) than the erudite and precise balderdash that spews forth from the wackadoos in our current management team!
-Airlineorphan
P.S. Speaking of hyperboles, you might want to read your own writing, Lindy:
"His/Her writings seems to be soooooooooo anti-management that GOD what not please his/her as CEO."
Hmmmmm.... and even in the same paragraph as your accusation of hyperbole. Haste makes waste!

Airlineorphan,

You just "beat me to the punch"...

Lindy,

For your inquiring mind...this is what it means, in plain English, and in simple terms for simple folks who THINK they are scholars and English majors..

using your words:

"Or, is the message that MANAGEMENT does not appreciate to be the subject of a condescending act/attitude toward them as human beings?"

PS. Next time you try to take a "pot shot" at me, I suggest you watch your grammer and sentence structure. That would help you when you're trying to make your point.

flynomore:
Thanks for the chuckle.

lindy:
Smug and supercilious sorts sometimes sneer at a misspoken word, remember our alphabet is a notoriously unreliable guide to pronunciation; everyone—and I do mean EVERYONE— misspeaks sometimes.

Try to stay on topic, those who do appear less foolish. You may also want to reread your own missive. He/she who lives in a glass house should not throw stones, particularly if they don't have any.
11.gif

PITBull:
Thanks for always speaking out on behalf of the front line employee, WE read you loud and clear.
2.gif

----------------
On 8/1/2003 4:45:52 PM Chip Munn wrote:

With all due respect to my ALPA colleagues, I believe this sophomoric form of communication sheds a bad light on a professional organization. Outside observers from the news media and investment community have told me the comments are "juvenile" and do not favorably represent the pilot group.

There are other professional ways to condescend management, if necessary, but I believe this approach was wrong.

Best regards,

Chip

----------------​
Chip,
all that ALPA is trying to do is show the company management just how "sophomoric" (to use your words) their own technique is to use among professionals such as flight crews (other employee groups are professional as well, but I have not heard that they are being subjected to this sort of harassment). One thing that you learn early in any leadership training is that respect has to be earned, and you earn it by showing respect to others, especially subordinates. When the "leadership" (I placed that in quotation marks to indicate that it is merely a concept in this case) shows such contempt for their colleagues that it undermines ANY serious attempt to gain their respect. Maybe the media SHOULD look at this sort of thing (I really doubt that they care at all), since it really DOES bring to light the relationship MANY industries are beginning to have between management and employees.

With all due respect to my ALPA colleagues, I believe this sophomoric form of communication sheds a bad light on a professional organization. Outside observers from the news media and investment community have told me the comments are "juvenile" and do not favorably represent the pilot group.

There are other professional ways to condescend management, if necessary, but I believe this approach was wrong.

Best regards,

Chip

Best regards,

Chip

And so does renegades writing op-ed pieces in the charlotte observer with false information and blantant mistruths about other labor organizations their status of negotiations.

ALPA finally grew a pair. It's time to stand up to all of the injustices towards our contract. Even Chip should respect that.

-fatburger-

Status
Not open for further replies.