I believe an agreement has been reached by CWA & U.

Its SEVEN YEARS BAD LUCK, to quote Stevie Wonder..even if the compnay starts pulling in 100 mil or more a qtr profit for 7 yrs as in the old days, someone else's pockets will be netting the proceeds, not the employees.

[P]It appears that the company is backing off the 6million in bonus money for executives. In that light, I believe that Mr.Siegel is doing everything he can to hold this company together, in fairness and equality, so that you, and at least 30,000 others may have some future with this company. If you don't see that happening, move on.[/P]

Jim, Oldguy, Imalilangel:

Jim, this whole situation sucks, but I believe the agreements are better than what most US employees could do somewhere else, especially in today's economy. There are people willing to work for less in our industry at HP and the Express carriers and with thousands of unemployed workers, every one of us can be replaced. I have a lot of friends who work in CWA represented positions and you guys have sure taken a beating over the years, but as you know this time the hammer is not Dave Siegel.

Oldguy, if the agreement is voted down the company will have no choice but to seek the S.1113 hearing where the court will have two options: uphold the existing contract or to cancel it.

Considering the court has agreed to virtually every company request, the DIP/emergence financing, and the loan guarantee require the restructuring cuts, the court will likely cancel any contract that is not restructured. Therefore, it is very likely the cuts are coming one way or another and by ratifying the agreement the cuts will likely be less and employees will live to fight another day.

Imalilangel, once the agreements are ratified we are stuck with them for 6.5 years to comply with the ATSB mandate.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 9/7/2002 8:53:52 AM chipmunn wrote:

Oldguy, if the agreement is voted down the company will have no choice but to seek the S.1113 hearing where the court will have two options: uphold the existing contract or to cancel it.

Considering the court has agreed to virtually every company request, the DIP/emergence financing, and the loan guarantee require the restructuring cuts, the court will likely cancel any contract that is not restructured. Therefore, it is very likely the cuts are coming one way or another and by ratifying the agreement the cuts will likely be less and employees will live to "fight another day".

----------------
[/blockquote]

The day a judge cancels a contract or imposes anything on a union which didn't vote the right way, he has signed US Airways death sentance. There WILL be labor unrest like has never been seen before in our company history.

The one week mechanic walk out will seem like a walk in the park compared to what will come. Just wait until the CSAs stage chaos-like walk outs in the hubs, or the mechanics walk off as an entire bank is waiting to be be deiced in a snowstorm, maybe the weekend of Thanksgiving? Perhaps some m*** sick calls?

It would too bad if people resorted to this, but anything imposed by a judge or management will be seen as threatening and won't be tolerated by employees.

7.gif'] I think there is more than employee concessions here.......I think employees ARE the concessions!!! More layoffs announced will be common headlines in the days to come.....

N513AU

So when should we stand and fight...When we're making $7.00/hr and get 4 sick days at 50 % pay.

I still say no......and look for employment elsewhere. Can't wait till I'm 65 living in a mobile, remembering the good old days. I'll leave as soon as possible. BYCU

[blockquote]
----------------
On 9/7/2002 1:06:56 PM OldGuyinPA wrote:

N513AU

So when should we stand and fight...When we're making $7.00/hr and get 4 sick days at 50 % pay.

I still say no......and look for employment elsewhere. ----------------
[/blockquote]
Who will you be fighting ? The BK Judge, thats who. You won't win. The company will because the Judge has the companies best interests in mind, not ours. He will most certainly will not award us a better package than what the CWA bargained for. Think about it!

N513AU:

N513AU said: Just wait until the CSAs stage chaos-like walk outs in the hubs, or the mechanics walk off as an entire bank is waiting to be be deiced in a snowstorm, maybe the weekend of Thanksgiving?

Chip comments: N513AU, this would be an illegal job action and just like when the AA pilots staged their sick out over the Reno Air integration. In the AA case, the company obtained an emergency order forcing the pilots back to work. When the pilots continued to call in sick for a second day, the judge found the pilots in contempt of court and the union (thus the members) received I believe a $48 million fine.

I suspect the same thing could occur here. What some people fail to recognize these are not traditional RLA act negotiations, they're bankruptcy negotiations and the U.S. Bankruptcy Code Section 1113 permits the company to obtain emergency relief from employees because of its inability to pay for current wages and benefits.

In addition, the $154 million in IAM-M and $70 million in CWA per year cuts are required to obtain the DIP financing (TPG, CSFB, & BOA contracts), TPG Emergence, and federal loan guarantee.

If either union does not ratify their restructuring agreement and goes to court the judge has two choices: Either keep the current IAM-M and/or CWA agreements in place and thus violate the terms of the DIP Financing, Emergence Financing, and Loan Guarantee or cancel the contract. By canceling the contract the judge will permit the formal reorganization to proceed, the business enterprise working to emerge as a viable on going concern, and the creditors to get a greater return on its investment.

Since the judge is not permitted to tweak a contract I believe it is highly unlikely he will keep the contracts in place. Therefore, I believe a no vote is a vote for no contract at all. It appears that leaders of both the CWA & IAM clearly understand this.

Old Guy in PA? Change your attitude and you may find an employer who would appreciate you, but first, appreciate the fact you have an employer.

Old Guy in PA? Change your attitude and you may find an employer who would appreciate you, but first, appreciate the fact you have an employer.

Hi folks,
I was furloughed last Oct. when Syr CRO was permanently closed. I had just completed 33 years with the company and at the current age of 53, I am still too young to retire. Take some advise from me........TAKE THE CONTRACT AND RUN WITH IT......it's not such a bad deal, it could be worse with the BK judge. Take it and be glad that you still have a job and you can still pay the mortgage.

They closed my thread saying it was too close to this one-- perhaps-- just thought I'd add my 2 cents again so someone can comment if they have a mind to.
---------------------
I feel that I must say a few things about the CWA TA. First of all I will vote yes. I feel I have no choice but to vote that way. It is the lesser of 2 evils, and I do mean EVILS.

The result of my “figuring†is as follows. I will take a 11.3% cash pay cut when all losses/reductions are counted (except the new medical rates yet to be determined), NOT solely the 8.03% hourly cut stated in the proposal. I will go from a baseline of $45,864 to a new rate of $40,680/year. It will take 21.25 days of over time (8 hour shifts) for me to get back to what I currently make. In other words, I have to work an extra month this year just to stay where I’m at now. And in case someone forgets, I have to repeat this for the next 6 years.

Please make no mistake about the next few sentences. My pain is no worse than every other employee in this company who is forced to take such pay cuts. How did we land in this situation? I can place that blame on 2 sources. Management blunders dating back to Colodny and most especially our most recent two Chiefs, Wolf and Gangwal. The second reason is pure greed on the part of some of our unions insisting on padding contracts with junk and pork to the benefit of a small group at the expense of us all.

Management’s efforts to buy labor peace over the last 20 years at the expense of non union workers and corporate profits is tantamount to cannibalism and plays into the greed of the union leadership in a quest for ever higher dues and more power. It has kept us running from competition and giving up on prized routes with our tail between our legs. Restrictive contracts have kept pilots on the ground instead of flying, kept mechanics from working on fixing aircraft at peak efficiency and if I look even a little closer, more examples of inefficiency because of bloated contracts will smack me in the face. All for the sake of union power and union greed. NOT the greed of its members but its leadership. More people would be employed with an efficient contract leading to higher profits and MORE jobs, not fewer as has been the case.

Our managers have squandered what amounts to billions in cash and lost profits through a litany of failed ideas that cost us all jobs and precious cash and profits over the last 20 years. Remember Metrojet? High Ground? Business Select? BWI up and BWI down – I can’t remember how many times we have boosted and cut BWI. How about retreats from the West Coast and SAN/SYR/DAY/IND rez closings? Planes parked and mortgaged until there is nothing left to sell. Anyone remember going to Portland OREGON? Or Sacramento CA? Or the dozen other cities we got through PSA that we don’t serve anymore. How about DAY as a hub? How about retreating from FLA or the FLA Shuttle? I’m sure I forgot many things cut or junked because our management ran from competition and blamed us for their mistakes. I say this - The company didn’t have a gun to their heads when they signed these outrageous contracts years ago and set a precedent that has lead us to this path of dwindling size and backward movements in our personal financial lives. No one bothered to look at the long-term effects, instead shorted sighted cash grabs and “dues now†was and IS the mantra.

Dave seems to be willing to fix our problems, but the pain is enormous and long lasting. He is willing to fix a problem HE did not create and his predecessors didn’t have the guts to take on. Cut and run was their mantra - cut our salaries and run to blow the cash. Dave’s biggest headache is and will continue to be the 6 million bonus. Peanuts in the scheme of things but a true mountain to climb as it relates to employee morale. We are being asked to accept the pain and take the cut, they should as well. To even use the term “bonus†while in bankruptcy is the fastest way I can think of to turn the employees against a plan that can work.

I have so much more to say about this situation but I won’t bore you with it. Just know and understand my total disgust with what has happened to my company since 1988 and what will happen to me until 2009. I feel as though I have wasted half my working life on promises not fulfilled and flat out lies. I’m trapped now, but rest ***ured I will be looking for another job. I may never find one as good, and I may. School seems to be in my future. But I refuse to be hosed even more if I can change my situation.

To those of you who have read my past posts, this one is a shocker- I can not tell you how it pains me to be so negative- and it’s NOT directed at the CWA members or its leadership. I feel I am generally an optimistic guy and will stay that way, I just needed to let 20 years of pent up anger out somewhere. Thanks for your ear. And, now that we are to be the lowest paid employess in the industry soon- watch out world, we will kick you know what real soon!

Oliver twist..

Good post.....

My vote will be a yes. I am the former oliver...
it was my cat's name and I guess I will use olivia now...
so people will know I am a female!!

Anyway....it could be worse.

As to oldguyinpa.....although these agreements say
until 2009...I wouldn't worry needlessly about the long
run...I'm sure Mr wolf is going to try to sell this
airline...his preferred stock shares are still good
so I have been told. I would not be surprised to
find ourselves sold to UA...there could be a consolidation
without cash...a stock swap or something.

Good luck and good health to all....What a long and
miserable four months that was....too much uncertainty..
there still will be some rough times ahead..but at
least we can go forward a little bit.