I Sold 2 $50.00 First Class Upgrades Today

FLYUSAIRWAYS

Advanced
Feb 21, 2004
It was a very tense moment at the gate today. It was 45 minutes before the flight departed and I still had 2 unfilled First Class seats going to waste. I decided to bite the bullet and make my announcement that they were available for $50.00. I got my takers and made Usairways an extra $100.00. It was kinda fun collecting the $100 bucks at the last minute, knowing that I would soon receive the $3.00 comission in my pay check. After taxes that boils down to $2.00. I was thinking about putting the entire 3 bucks in my 401k, but my financial planner told me to just enjoy the extra money with a night out on the town, or something similiar. I think I will make this into a game, to see how many I can sell, like a contest. Thanks Usairways for giving me a way to make up my $5.00 an hour paycut.

Fly, I am so happy that some of us have the opportunity to make up the hourly difference, you are an asset to your employee. BUT, I beg you, please think wisely before you spend it :D It may no be an everyday thing!

FLYUSAIRWAYS said:
It was a very tense moment at the gate today. It was 45 minutes before the flight departed and I still had 2 unfilled First Class seats going to waste. I decided to bite the bullet and make my announcement that they were available for $50.00. I got my takers and made Usairways an extra $100.00. It was kinda fun collecting the $100 bucks at the last minute, knowing that I would soon receive the $3.00 comission in my pay check. After taxes that boils down to $2.00. I was thinking about putting the entire 3 bucks in my 401k, but my financial planner told me to just enjoy the extra money with a night out on the town, or something similiar. I think I will make this into a game, to see how many I can sell, like a contest. Thanks Usairways for giving me a way to make up my $5.00 an hour paycut.
[post="252285"][/post]​

The company is paying you commission for doing your job and your bitching about it? You earned an extra $3 for one flight that you worked. If you could do that everyday that you worked, that works out to about $60 per month. Yes, it is a very small amout, but something is better than nothing. Now, just imagine if you could sell two FC seats on two flights per day, or better yet, two FC seats on every flight, every day.....now we're talkin'! Maybe you could even develope on your marketing skills to a point where you could put them to use in another industry. Be positive....the world is your oyster! :up:

FLYUSAIRWAYS said:
[post="252285"][/post]​
Its ashame you couldn't sell them on e-bay. Its interesting to see the amount of money people are willing to pay for upgrades, space positive tickets,etc...

genejockey said:
Be positive....the world is your oyster! :up:
[post="252332"][/post]​
New program in the works for F/S (I'm starting the rumor)....Since they have no way of earning exta cash, a new program is being considered. IF all bags get loaded on ALL flights, and if they ALL depart on-time, each F/S agent will get an addition 1 minute added to their morning break AND afternoon break time! :up:

FM2436 said:
Its ashame you couldn't sell them on e-bay. Its interesting to see the amount of money people are willing to pay for upgrades, space positive tickets,etc...
[post="252335"][/post]​
Hmmm...maybe the GAs could just auction the seats off, starting at $100. Everything above that number, the GA gets to pocket! Then you'd really be talking some money...:lol:

Tell them you're not getting paid as much as other airlines for fc upgrades. We make $5.00 every time I upgrade someone. I love it--and this happens in res too. Have a good day

CAL had something similar for fuel saving for pilots
Peoples had something like that too i believe.

sadly at a pay rate that was rather low People crews just split the beverage cash.

while i would not propose that anything bad nor illegal happen, but just as a general question at what point could it become a commission based employment. going further it could be a 50.00 an hour job too. pay is so low, people must make it back one way or another. for some it is simply easier to work elsewhere for say better benefits, forced overtime? see ya i got another job to go to to make up for the benefit cuts, sorry but as you described to me...its just business. sorry.

maybe one of those auctioneers yodelling at departure time.... i got 50 from the dude in the cowboy hat.....sold....

America West does this. And, I have bellied up to the counter about half the time. Especially when there is a filled flight and I feel clausterphobic that day.

Go for it! If it brings the company and you some more bucks. It's a great idea.

FLYUSAIRWAYS,

Love your post, you have a good sense of humor.

Hey, I'll slip you $5.00 cash TAXFREE to put me in first when I'm nonreving!

$20.00 for the company, and $5.00 for you, not a bad deal!

LOL :up:

Congrats, FLY. But you DID type "Firstup" as one word in the misc mask, right? And you DID type in the ticket number, too, right? Cause if not, no 3 dollars for you! I read the fine print in focus a little too late today. 3 upgrades, 0 dollars for me.