IAM Concesions History

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Given the recent topic on the AA forum I think it is appropriate to introduce this discussion on the US forum. If a merger takes place fleet service will need to elect a collective bargaining agent, so a discussion of the concession history and negotiating tactics employed by the IAM is worthwhile.

--During the two bankruptcies at USAir, the IAM facilitated three round of concessions. For fleet service, this was the first concessions after 9/11 and the effects were far reaching to workers at other carriers who either filed later or seeked concessions outside bankruptcy. How are the current section 6 negotiations going?

-Before the UAL bankruptcy the IAM offered concessions to United, and further concessions were achieved through bankruptcy

-At NWA the IAM readily encouraged their members (w/ full support from the AFL-CIO) to perform the duties of striking AMFA members in the 2005 strike.

-At Hawaiian Airlines, the IAM introduced ready reserve language similar to what non-union Delta Air Lines has in place. The terms are (1) Do not count toward PT cap (2) No benefits except travel (3) Must be full IAM members (4) $10/hour top out

The IAM was decerified by the CO FAs in favor of the AFA, and decertified by a large margin at DL too. Food for thought.

Josh

Reactions: 1 person
are you sure about the continental airlines i thought from hearing from some folks at the old continental that they had the iam i could be wrong may be 700 can correct me if im wrong

are you sure about the continental airlines i thought from hearing from some folks at the old continental that they had the iam i could be wrong may be 700 can correct me if im wrong

The FAs were IAM represented but voted for AFA in the June 2011 election:

(Reuters) - Flight attendants at United Continental Holdings (UAL.N), formed from the merger of United and Continental airlines, have selected the Association of Flight Attendants to bargain for their labor contracts, the AFA union said on Wednesday.
The vote was a defeat for the International Association of Machinists, which represented the flight attendants at Continental Airlines, and marks a step toward integration of the carriers' work forces.
The AFA, which represented flight attendants at the old United Airlines, won the election with 55.1 percent of the vote. The union now represents about 25,000 active and retired flight attendants at the company.
The vote results must be certified by the National Mediation Board.

http://www.reuters.c...E75S6CY20110629
http://www.airlineforums.com/topic/51168-afa-to-represent-uaco-fas/

Of course, the IAM proponents will say they were the highest paid but they had inferior benefits and job protection. Can't imagine the TWA seniority sellout helped here either.

Josh

Given the recent topic on the AA forum I think it is appropriate to introduce this discussion on the US forum. If a merger takes place fleet service will need to elect a collective bargaining agent, so a discussion of the concession history and negotiating tactics employed by the IAM is worthwhile.

--During the two bankruptcies at USAir, the IAM facilitated three round of concessions. For fleet service, this was the first concessions after 9/11 and the effects were far reaching to workers at other carriers who either filed later or seeked concessions outside bankruptcy. How are the current section 6 negotiations going?

-Before the UAL bankruptcy the IAM offered concessions to United, and further concessions were achieved through bankruptcy

-At NWA the IAM readily encouraged their members (w/ full support from the AFL-CIO) to perform the duties of striking AMFA members in the 2005 strike.

-At Hawaiian Airlines, the IAM introduced ready reserve language similar to what non-union Delta Air Lines has in place. The terms are (1) Do not count toward PT cap (2) No benefits except travel (3) Must be full IAM members (4) $10/hour top out

The IAM was decerified by the CO FAs in favor of the AFA, and decertified by a large margin at DL too. Food for thought.

Josh

So the TWU is a better choice?

My bets will go to say that fleet at the combined carrier will be TWU, and Mtc will all be IAM with no runoff elections.

Are you that obtuse?

US filed chapter 11 bankruptcy, the IAM was obligated under the law to negotiate concessions, the IAM didnt facilitate concessions.

Thats lie #1 joshie.

The IAM never agreed to concessions outside of chapter 11, unlike ALPA who did twice.

The IAM didnt offer UA concession before chapter 11 was filed.

Lie #2.

At NW the IAM CBA contained the language for ancillary duties and the ramp performed them at more stations than AMFA did, when AMFA struck NW imposed new CBA terms and the language all ready existed in the the CBA for Fleet to perform the work, so if they refused that would be insubordination and they employee would be terminated.

Lie #3

The IAM didnt introduce RR language, the company did and the membership ratified the CBA with the change.

Lie #4

The IAM never represented DL workers.

Lie #5

The IAM represented the former CO FAs and had higher rates of pay, the UA FAs were AFA and outnumbered the CO FAs.

Also the CO ramp was IBT and in the merger the IAM wont the election as former CO are now IAM as well as UA ramp was all ready IAM.

The CO CSAs were non-union and voted after the merger to become IAM.

The IAM took the seniority issue to arbitration and spent over $5 million on TWA FAs alone, the arbiter ruled, not the IAM. AA Unions had language in their CBAs that gave them seniority over employees from another company in the event of a merger. AA made TWA and the IAM and ALPA give up their LPPs otherwise TWA would have went chapter 7 and out of business.

Lie #6.

Dont let the facts get in your way joshie.

We voted down the first concessionary agreement in bankruptcy case #1 and never reached an agreement in bankruptcy case #2 and the CBA was abrogated.

This thread is just to stir the pot and for josh to spread his hatred for the IAM, must have been rejected by an IAM member some where in your life.

You constantly post misinformation and you are shown to be wrong and fail to comprehend anything.

That's for you to decide, I just think it's important for this discussion to take place.

Josh

Not for me to decide. I don't think that fleet will be TWU. I can see fleet going with the IAM, and mx will probably be either AMFA, ibt, or iam. I find it funny that a banker is so concerned with fleet and their choice of union. This isn't all just to try and get under 700s skin, is it?

Blue yes it is and I contacted the moderators to lock the thread, its obvious thats its flamebait and even the title is misleading.

I have posted the correct information to refute his lies.

Status
Not open for further replies.