International Mama's

Bluewater

Jul 21, 2006
Before I begin my rant. :angry: I would like to hear about junior (like who is junior anymore? <_< ) f/a's who have been treated badly by senior mama's. :shock: I've never had a problem. Most I've met have been lovely. :up: But I can be intimidating ( I am however a very lovely person, great personality, a body like Pam Anderson...ah okay Elmer Fudd) However, I've flown with so many people who would love to fly international, but are scared to do so by what they hear. :unsure:(just this last trip as an example)Many have more than 20 years. Do you think it's a personal thing? Or is it more insidious.
Give me your thoughts...

Before I begin my rant. :angry: I would like to hear about junior (like who is junior anymore? <_< ) f/a's who have been treated badly by senior mama's. :shock: I've never had a problem. Most I've met have been lovely. :up: But I can be intimidating ( I am however a very lovely person, great personality, a body like Pam Anderson...ah okay Elmer Fudd) However, I've flown with so many people who would love to fly international, but are scared to do so by what they hear. :unsure:(just this last trip as an example)Many have more than 20 years. Do you think it's a personal thing? Or is it more insidious.
Give me your thoughts...
International is a different bird altogether. First of all, you need some seniority to hold even the most junior international trip, e.g. Shannon, Dublin, and London. So, for many, whether you are "scared" or not; flying international will not be an option so the point is moot. If you have five years and put it on your AIL list, you may get fired on the spot for being a total moron! :lol: Most who fly Int'l wouldn't fly domestic for anything. Many speak at least one other language. The level of service is higher, and IMO, more professional. Flying T/A is like working for another airline; many will tell you so. Senior Mamas are just junior Mamas with a few years. If you're a nasty person now, you'll probably be a mean one twenty years from now too. Seniority has nothing to do with rudeness.

Give me your thoughts...

My old lady (ex-stew) still remembers the rudeness of a certain "senior mama" who commutes from Cleveland. EVERYBODY knows this one... Fly International if you want. Believe me, what you'll experience on a layover hanging with the "natives" far outweighs any bullcrap that you'll endure for an 8 hour flight.

Later,
Eye

Give me your thoughts...
It amazes me when employees think they can treat each other rudely--whether that be a senior employee rude to a junior employee (just because they've worked a few more years, doesn't give them the right to order others around), or crew members rude to schedulers, or gate agents rude to non-revs. Those kind of employees are probably even worse to customers.

It amazes me when employees think they can treat each other rudely--whether that be a senior employee rude to a junior employee (just because they've worked a few more years, doesn't give them the right to order others around), or crew members rude to schedulers, or gate agents rude to non-revs. Those kind of employees are probably even worse to customers.
I AGREE WITH YOU be it WEST/EAST.... :up: :up: :up:

I’ve never understood the appeal of flying international.
I guess I’m weird.

SKY HIGH states: You gotta have the right "med's". Peek into one of their bags, LOL, there's a pill to put you to sleep, one to wake you up, and, another to make you happy.
Half of them look like they're carrying around a pharmacy.
:up:

SKY HIGH states: You gotta have the right "med's". Peek into one of their bags, LOL, there's a pill to put you to sleep, one to wake you up, and, another to make you happy.
Half of them look like they're carrying around a pharmacy.
:up:

One thing you won't see in that bag: TrimSpa or Dexatrim. :lol:

Later,
Eye

Not that things are better at United (they aren't) BUT we eliminated the fence a while ago and that makes a nicer mix. If you are on reserve, you can and will get both International and Domestic flying which, not only helps the customer perspective but helps the older folks see that these young guys actually know EXACTLY what they are doing (fyi - being a f/a isn't rocket science)

For our passengers: If you are sitting in first class, and you have a very OLD f/a and a very YOUNG f/a....the OLD f/a is a #### because assignments are seniority based. (my tip: Only ask the YOUNG f/a for anything you may need)

We have the opposite at AA. My dream trips are with the senior ladies. No problems No attitude, no trying to skip out on work. Seems where I work its the younger ones pissed at there choices and really think they are there to gossip and complain, not work.

Best advice, dont stare them straight in the eye. Dont let them smell the fear, and if they charge, just run and dont look back.

I’ve never understood the appeal of flying international.

I guess I’m weird.

Me either!

Let's break it down. Most TA layovers are about 28 hrs. Take away 7 hours of sleep the night before you go home. There's 21 hours. Take away 5 hours if you want to feel descent when you get up. There's 16 hours. 2 hours of travel time to and from airport. There's 14 hours. 1 hour to get ready before meeting in the am for the flight back. There's 13 hours. Yeah, alot of time for local flare.

Oh lest we forget working a redeye over and packed flights of Eurotrash and loud mouth yanks who all think they should be in biz class. Farts in the night. Bad breathe in the morning. Oh, the glamour. :eek:

Been there, done that. Enjoy the delusional grandeur of transatlantic. :lol:

Latest posts