Iraq - what do we do now?

Now all of the Iraqi's who to this point in time were still afraid and intimidated by his presence and refused to believe his reign was over...maybe now they'll come out of their shells and help move their country forward.
Maybe now they can feel freedom of expression without reprisal....learn to make change....they have a unique opportunity with the man gone.
They must publically show him or there will be rumors that he's still alive that will negate any positives like I mention.

"Saddam leaves behind misery and destruction everywhere," he said. "It is a society imbued with fear."

Dell -
I hope you're right...but I think most of the fighting that we've seen in Iraq for the last couple of years has had nothing to do with him. Still, even if there's a small drop in the violence, I guess that's a step in the right direction.

Dell -
I hope you're right...but I think most of the fighting that we've seen in Iraq for the last couple of years has had nothing to do with him. Still, even if there's a small drop in the violence, I guess that's a step in the right direction.
From what I see,it was the last gasps of his own party aided by non Iraqi insurgents out of Iran and Syria.
You and I know Syria and Iran have their own agenda and would love to see us cut and run,then they'd move in and take over.At this point in time,with Hussien gone,like I said....maybe Iraq's equivalent to our "silent majority" will pull their heads out of the sand and learn to participate and enjoy democracy.I have a gut feeling the whole idea in Iraq was to get a Free and Democratic Arab State up and running in the middle east so neighboring Arabs can see what true freedom is and want the same for themselves.It could start a path out of the continuing quagmire of the middle east crisis.
Many have alot to say about Israel,but all they want is to live and grow unmolested...yes they do take an agressive stance,but they have to for their own survival.
Funny,Israel is Free and Democratic.....why do the radical regimes want that eliminated from the face of the earth?
Because it threatens their very existence and their own perverted use of their religion for their own political agendas....
Its about control over peoples lives....period.

The war sucks...no doubt.....be we try to make change now or face an even bigger war very soon over the horizon.
The Big Dance.... ;) And it won't be pretty....

From the Army Times...

Down on the war
Poll: More troops unhappy with Bush’s course in Iraq
By Robert Hodierne
Senior managing editor

The American military — once a staunch supporter of President Bush and the Iraq war — has grown in creasingly pessimistic about chances for victory.

For the first time, more troops disapprove of the president’s han dling of the war than approve of it. Barely one-third of service members approve of the way the president is handling the war, ac cording to the 2006 Military Times Poll.

When the military was feeling most optimistic about the war — in 2004 — 83 percent of poll re spondents thought success in Iraq was likely. This year, that number has shrunk to 50 percent.

Only 35 percent of the military members polled this year said they approve of the way President Bush is handling the war, while 42 percent said they disapproved. The president’s approval rating among the military is only slight ly higher than for the population as a whole. In 2004, when his popularity peaked, 63 percent of the military approved of Bush’s handling of the war. While ap proval of the president’s war lead ership has slumped, his overall approval remains high among the military.

Just as telling, in this year’s poll only 41 percent of the military said the U.S. should have gone to war in Iraq in the first place, down from 65 percent in 2003. That closely reflects the beliefs of the general population today — 45 percent agreed in a recent USA Today/Gallup poll.

Army Times article

Now all of the Iraqi's who to this point in time were still afraid and intimidated by his presence and refused to believe his reign was over...maybe now they'll come out of their shells and help move their country forward.
Maybe now they can feel freedom of expression without reprisal....learn to make change....they have a unique opportunity with the man gone.

Dell-
As with so many things in Iraq, it looks like even Saddam's execution got screwed up. At the execution...(from cnn.com)

Cell-phone video
Official government video of the execution was released without sound and ends when the noose is put around Hussein's neck.

But a crude cell-phone video leaked less than 24 hours later goes much further -- showing bitter exchanges between Hussein and his Shiite guards.

After Hussein offers prayers, the guards shout praise for Muqtada al-Sadr, the radical Shiite cleric whose father is believed to have been murdered by Hussein's regime.

They chant, "Muqtada! Muqtada! Muqtada!"

The chant refers to militia leader Muqtada al Sadr. This video has been widely seen on the internet...and the Sunnis in Iraq are using this as "proof" that Saddam was killed for sectarian revenge - not justice. The execution is apparently being used as an excuse for more sectarian attacks.

See CNN story

From the Army Times...

Down on the war
Poll: More troops unhappy with Bush’s course in Iraq
By Robert Hodierne
Senior managing editor

The American military — once a staunch supporter of President Bush and the Iraq war — has grown in creasingly pessimistic about chances for victory.

For the first time, more troops disapprove of the president’s han dling of the war than approve of it. Barely one-third of service members approve of the way the president is handling the war, ac cording to the 2006 Military Times Poll.

When the military was feeling most optimistic about the war — in 2004 — 83 percent of poll re spondents thought success in Iraq was likely. This year, that number has shrunk to 50 percent.

Only 35 percent of the military members polled this year said they approve of the way President Bush is handling the war, while 42 percent said they disapproved. The president’s approval rating among the military is only slight ly higher than for the population as a whole. In 2004, when his popularity peaked, 63 percent of the military approved of Bush’s handling of the war. While ap proval of the president’s war lead ership has slumped, his overall approval remains high among the military.

Just as telling, in this year’s poll only 41 percent of the military said the U.S. should have gone to war in Iraq in the first place, down from 65 percent in 2003. That closely reflects the beliefs of the general population today — 45 percent agreed in a recent USA Today/Gallup poll.

Army Times article
I wouldn't make too much of this....been reading Army, Navy/Marine Times for years. The editorial staff has always leaned further left than any other outlet associated with the DoD.
Keep in mind that the return enlistment for Iraqi vets is VERY high, including HUNDREDS OF AMPUTEES WANTING TO FINISH THE MISSION! THAT should tell the tale of the troops hearts and minds more than some REMF pogue on the Times Staff.

I wouldn't make too much of this....been reading Army, Navy/Marine Times for years. The editorial staff has always leaned further left than any other outlet associated with the DoD.
Keep in mind that the return enlistment for Iraqi vets is VERY high, including HUNDREDS OF AMPUTEES WANTING TO FINISH THE MISSION! THAT should tell the tale of the troops hearts and minds more than some REMF pogue on the Times Staff.

Yes and just as this board has its fair share, I suspect there are a few tokyo roses in the armed services who joined up for the benefits and freebies not expecting to actually have to defend, though I would guess those numbers are miniscule.

The feedback from those i've talked with who have returned from tours say the morale is good for the most part, and that the average Iraqi citizens support our efforts, but hey they were'nt part of the 'study group' so what do they know?

Tokyo Rose? What a shameful, pathetic smear.

The numbers are what the numbers are. These men and women were asked the questions...and they gave their answers. Just because you don't like their responses doesn't make them one iota less patriotic or honorable than me or you or anyone else who has ever worn the uniform.

Tokyo Rose? What a shameful, pathetic smear.

Spade is a spade, if the shoe fits wear it! :blink:

The numbers are what the numbers are. These men and women were asked the questions...and they gave their answers. Just because you don't like their responses doesn't make them one iota less patriotic or honorable than me or you or anyone else who has ever worn the uniform.

What numbers? there are no numbers cited on the amount of participants involved in this leftist poll designed to further hurt morale of our troops.

Just as CSAR alluded to, that rag is run by left wing sissy's who probably could'nt field strip a M16 if their life depended on it.

Spade is a spade, if the shoe fits wear it! :blink:
What numbers? there are no numbers cited on the amount of participants involved in this leftist poll designed to further hurt morale of our troops.

Just as CSAR alluded to, that rag is run by left wing sissy's who probably could'nt field strip a M16 if their life depended on it.

Still shameful, still pathetic! Not surprising - you insult our men and women in uniform and all you can come up with is a tired cliche.

As for the numbers, did you even bother to read the full article? Apparently not - or perhaps you just can't comprehend it. Who took part in the survey? Here are the numbers that matter on that....(from the article)

Among the respondents, 66 percent have deployed at least once to Iraq or Afghanistan.

Still shameful, still pathetic! Not surprising - you insult our men and women in uniform and all you can come up with is a tired cliche.

Yea I Insult anyone who trys to demoralize our military, uniform means nothing pal, its who puts that uniform on that matters to me.

As for the numbers, did you even bother to read the full article?

Yea!...and? :huh:

Apparently not - or perhaps you just can't comprehend it. Who took part in the survey? Here are the numbers that matter on that....(from the article)

Im supposed to believe some liberal slanted panty waist propagated poll?.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Among the respondents, 66 percent have deployed at least once to Iraq or Afghanistan.

funny thing about that 66 percent you quote, in my dealings 100 percent have nothing but positive attitudes. Seems your pollster may have selective respondents. :rolleyes:

Again...two-thirds of those who responded to the survey went and fought in Iraq or Afghanistan. Those are the people who put on the uniform. That gives them far more credibility than you'll ever have. Those are the people you're insulting!

What makes a poll "pantywaist"? Oh, that's right...you don't agree with it so it can't possibly represent the views of real Americans!

You're just one of those fools who thinks that anyone who dares to disagree with your delusional point of view must be some un-american pinko commie. Way to go Archie Bunker! Fact is, they're far more American and far more patriotic than you'll ever be - no matter how much you try to symbolically wrap yourself in the flag.

If you haven't run into anyone in uniform who has problems with the war in Iraq, then you don't know very many people in the military -- or they're just feeding you the line of crap that you want to hear. Fact is, if you really know the men and women who've been over there...and really talk to them, then it won't take long for you realize what a cluster #### it's been for quite some time.

BTW, I'm sure the poll's 66-percent represents a whole lot more people than your "100-percent."

Again...two-thirds of those who responded to the survey went and fought in Iraq or Afghanistan. Those are the people who put on the uniform. That gives them far more credibility than you'll ever have. Those are the people you're insulting!

What makes a poll "pantywaist"? Oh, that's right...you don't agree with it so it can't possibly represent the views of real Americans!

You're just one of those fools who thinks that anyone who dares to disagree with your delusional point of view must be some un-american pinko commie. Way to go Archie Bunker! Fact is, they're far more American and far more patriotic than you'll ever be - no matter how much you try to symbolically wrap yourself in the flag.

If you haven't run into anyone in uniform who has problems with the war in Iraq, then you don't know very many people in the military -- or they're just feeding you the line of crap that you want to hear. Fact is, if you really know the men and women who've been over there...and really talk to them, then it won't take long for you realize what a cluster #### it's been for quite some time.

BTW, I'm sure the poll's 66-percent represents a whole lot more people than your "100-percent."

You benedict will never have a clue because as all cowards do you shrink behind the ones who defend your lousy carcas, then protest in order to have a sense of importance.

Latest posts

Back