Is it true?

MCI transplant

Veteran
Jun 4, 2003
<_< Heard a rumor today----- Is it true, aa leasing space to Scab Airline Northwest, in TWA's old hanger in LAX?? :shock: Tell me it's not so! ;)

...let's assume it is true, just for good time sake. So, the company has found a way to generate revenue from its assetts and you would propose declining the opportunity because of the strike at NW? How can you then turn around and say they're not trying to turn the airline into a profitable company? They're damned if they do and damned if they don't by you folks. You can't have your cake and eat it to...

...let's assume it is true, just for good time sake. So, the company has found a way to generate revenue from its assetts and you would propose declining the opportunity because of the strike at NW? How can you then turn around and say they're not trying to turn the airline into a profitable company? They're damned if they do and damned if they don't by you folks. You can't have your cake and eat it to...
<_<---- Let's not assume anything! Did they, or didn't they? It's a matter of principle here! Is aa welling to provide nothwest scabs a place to work, or not? Is aa that desperate for money they will let scabs on it's property?----Simple Question! Simple answer! Yes! Or no! :angry2:

<_<---- Let's not assume anything! Did they, or didn't they? It's a matter of principle here! Is aa welling to provide nothwest scabs a place to work, or not? Is aa that desperate for money they will let scabs on it's property?----Simple Question! Simple answer! Yes! Or no! :angry2:

How about not answering your question since you obviously avoided flyhigh's?

It's a matter of principle here! Is aa welling to provide nothwest scabs a place to work, or not? Is aa that desperate for money they will let scabs on it's property?

I don't know if AA is subleasing space to NWA or not, but a technicality is in order before we return to the pissing contest on who needs to answer whose question first...

Technically, the hangar is not AA's property -- it is under long term lease from the city. Ever since Eastern's collapse, most airport facility leases have been modified to stipulate that if a particular space is not required to support daily operations, AA is legally obligated to make reasonable accommodation to any carrier requesting to sublease space.

That goes for gates, ticket counter positions, offices, warehouses, ramp parking, and yes, hangars.

So, this would be the same situation as with the MCI hangar a few weeks ago -- since AA isn't using all of the bays, the city has the right to demand that AA allow access to any carrier, including NWA, if they're in need of space to support their operations, and there is no other vacant space available.

Seems to me that AA leasing property to NWA is AA business.

That doesn't come close to TWU Mechanics working on struck work.

AA is not a union! Although they own a company union, they are still not a union. AA is a corporation.

<_< Heard a rumor today----- Is it true, aa leasing space to Scab Airline Northwest, in TWA's old hanger in LAX?? :shock: Tell me it's not so! ;)

If I remember correctly, Qantas has taken over the old TWA hangar at LAX, using it for 747-400 maintenance. QF usually has 4-5 744's sitting at LAX for 10-12 hours during the day.

I don't know if AA is subleasing space to NWA or not, but a technicality is in order before we return to the pissing contest on who needs to answer whose question first...

Technically, the hangar is not AA's property -- it is under long term lease from the city. Ever since Eastern's collapse, most airport facility leases have been modified to stipulate that if a particular space is not required to support daily operations, AA is legally obligated to make reasonable accommodation to any carrier requesting to sublease space.

That goes for gates, ticket counter positions, offices, warehouses, ramp parking, and yes, hangars.

So, this would be the same situation as with the MCI hangar a few weeks ago -- since AA isn't using all of the bays, the city has the right to demand that AA allow access to any carrier, including NWA, if they're in need of space to support their operations, and there is no other vacant space available.
<_< Mr. Former Moderator----- What your saying may be "technically" correct, I believe LAX real estate is, shall we say, a high demand commodity! I do also believe if "forced" by the city to make use of that real estate, aa would have no problem finding "suitable" parties to fill that need! I also believe aa's management would take into consideration the concerns of the Union members working there at LAX?----- Or is this where I'm assuming too much? As was the case here at MCI when NWA showed up on our door step a few months ago!-----By the way! Nowhere here so far have I heard that NWA is not in that hanger, so I must assume that the rumor was in fact TRUE! So much for "work together,win together!"

If AA has any space going unused and finds someone to lease to in order to make money I am all for it.

<_< Mr. Former Moderator----- What your saying may be "technically" correct, I believe LAX real estate is, shall we say, a high demand commodity! I do also believe if "forced" by the city to make use of that real estate, aa would have no problem finding "suitable" parties to fill that need! I also believe aa's management would take into consideration the concerns of the Union members working there at LAX
(bolding by me)

First off, I don't know whether you lack reading comprehension, or if once you have made up your mind you don't like to be confused by facts, nevertheless, if NW needed the space and AA wasn't using it, FM tried to explain to you that AA is required to sub-lease it. I doubt seriously that the lease states that AA must sub-lease unused space to any airline that wants it unless doing so would hurt the delicate feelings of the resident union.

Second, in response to your statement that I bolded...
You're kidding right. American? Take into consideration the concerns of union members? How droll! I find that level of naivete refreshing in someone your age.

(I commented to someone the other day that the problem with the Rule 32 business is that it assumes that any of us have any feelings left to be offended. :lol:)

Seems to me that AA leasing property to NWA is AA business.

That doesn't come close to TWU Mechanics working on struck work.

AA is not a union! Although they own a company union, they are still not a union. AA is a corporation.

I agree with local 12 proud; very well said.

Shouldn't matter to AA's employees if AA leases space to the devil himself; as long as AA doesn't order its employees to perform struck work.

I agree with local 12 proud; very well said.

Shouldn't matter to AA's employees if AA leases space to the devil himself; as long as AA doesn't order its employees to perform struck work.
Of course if paying for unused leased space makes LAX unprofitable maybe AA should just close maint ops there?

Then the AA AMFA pushers would be happier because it shows how evil AA is, and it hurts NWA, where they aren't working anyway.

Of course if paying for unused leased space makes LAX unprofitable maybe AA should just close maint ops there?

Then the AA AMFA pushers would be happier because it shows how evil AA is, and it hurts NWA, where they aren't working anyway.

You need to read the complete thread and be clear about AMFA supporters positions in this matter before you open your trap and look so foolish.

Your own hateful heart gets in the way of reading comprehension I guess?