Is The Iam A Scab Union?

Hopeful

Veteran
Dec 21, 2002
Why is it acceptable for the IAM to do the work of a striking union ?
This has nothing to do with AMFA unseating the IAM in an election, right?

Does this not make the IAM a SCAB union?

I Haven't quite thought of it that way but, yes it does. Keep in mind though in todays volatile aviation industry with stiff competition everyone is out there for themselves. Right now they've got it on easy street and they know it. They are not going to rock the boat.

Hopeful said:
[post="287746"][/post]​

If a person or union works on struck work they are a scab. Period!

My station will be staffed with a few managers and a few guys from MTX control, but if push comes to shove, most of us are planning on not performing "struck work" (ie pushbacks, brake riding, airstarts).For us, it goes beyond AMFA vs. IAM; it's about the bigger picture.

Hopeful said:
[post="287746"][/post]​
If NW has the scabs they say they do why would they need the IAM? Perhaps KTO can answer that for us.

tug_slug said:
If NW has the scabs they say they do why would they need the IAM? Perhaps KTO can answer that for us.
tug_slug said:
Tug-slug this is simply my opinion and you know how that goes, so dont hang me for this.

Unlike AMFA the IAM is a very powerful union. It wouldn't surprise me if they had a million members. Chances are if NW outsourced any work it would still end up in a union shop. It would be very difficult to find a certified shop that was non-union.
Therefore they could expect delays on repaired parts or even recieve badly repaired parts or their parts would disappear at the shop. I've heard of no one having anything to do with machinists being trained here in Arizona. Keep in mind you do not have to have an A&P to work on a component but the shop does have to be certified.

Latest posts