IAM- Scabs? Supports scabbing?

Hey Guys,

Over on the Usairways forum there is a poster saying the IAM is not doing struck work.

700UW is tell all that the IAM is doing their jobs and since they have a contract that said they can push back aircraft.

What gives? Is this guy right?

Thanks and Good Luck

BottomFeeder said:
Hey Guys,

Over on the Usairways forum there is a poster saying the IAM is not doing struck work.

700UW is tell all that the IAM is doing their jobs and since they have a contract that said they can push back aircraft.

Thanks and Good Luck
[post="290590"][/post]​
Well my job is to fix planes. If I do my job on struck work it makes me a scab.

The IAM are scabs because they are doing work that the mechanics who are on strike normally do in those stations.

Bob Owens said:
The IAM are scabs because they are doing work that the mechanics who are on strike normally do in those stations.
[post="290596"][/post]​

The work can be done by either workgroup, so it's a stretch to call someone a scab for performing work that's in-scope for their contract.

Former ModerAAtor said:
The work can be done by either workgroup, so it's a stretch to call someone a scab for performing work that's in-scope for their contract.
[post="290628"][/post]​

If the work was performed by AMFA members on Friday at an AMFA staffed station and now is performed by the IAM, they are SCABS. No way around it, mark them scabs for life. :down: :down:

Boomer said:
Just so no AFL-CIO flunky will ever again be tempted to revise history: The IAM agreed to take over struck work even though they state that it cannot be required.

Link Below In RED:

IAM Admits To Contractual Language Allowing Sympathy Strikes

August 18, 2005
Susan M. Griesgraber
Managing Director Labor Relations
NORTHWEST AIRLINES, INC.
7500 Airline Drive A1170
Minneapolis, MN 55440-1101

RE: IAM Contractual “Sympathy Strikeâ€￾ Provisions

Dear Ms. Griesgraber:

I am in receipt of your August 5, 2005, letter regarding IAM Contractual Sympathy Strike Provisions. Without getting into the specifics of what IAM-represented employees would or would not do in any particular strike, I am compelled to respond to certain inaccuracies in your letter.

You acknowledge that our agreements permit IAM-represented employees to refuse to cross a legally established picket line without fear of discipline or job loss. However, you attempt to unilaterally revise the contractual language to assert that IAM-represented employees may only refuse to cross the picket line if the line is at the entry point of the employee’s work location. The contracts do not contain any such limitations and we are aware of no legal precedents that would require any such restrictions. To the contrary, as you recognize in your letter, the contracts specifically permit IAM-represented employees to refuse to cross a legally established picket line without threat of discipline, job loss or replacement; there are no further limitations.

The restrictions you have attempted to unilaterally impose exist neither in the contract nor in the law. If, at any point, IAM-represented employees decided to honor another union’s picket lines, the conduct would be legal and protected, in accordance with our agreements.

We further disagree with your assertions in paragraph (2). We decline to get into a debate over the law regarding a hypothetical situation. Suffice it to say that we disagree with your contention that sympathy strikers can be permanently replaced. Again, the collective bargaining agreements clearly permit IAM-represented employees to honor picket lines without fear of job loss or replacement.

Finally, we are concerned about a situation not expressly addressed by your letter – that is, members who fear for their safety and physical well-being should they cross a picket line. Clearly any member who cannot go to work because their safety and physical well-being are threatened can be neither disciplined nor permanently replaced.

Sincerely,
Robert B. De Pace
President/Directing General Chair

nab/opeiu#12
[post="290313"][/post]​
---------------------------------------------------------------------

1)According to the IAM, the IAM has the contractual right to refuse to cross the picket line of any Union on the NWA property; and,

2)According to the IAM, the IAM was notified by NWA following the strike by the AMFA that work formerly performed by AMFA would now be IAM work; and,

3)The work in question was subject to negotiations by NWA with AMFA and the proposal to remove said work from the AMFA and place it with other work groups on the property was rejected by the AMFA and is now under dispute and subject to self help: therefore,

4) The IAM is currently performing struck work that rightfully belongs to the AMFA and is factually SCABBING that work.

Well apparently, the IAM are doing struck work, trying to take something from the AMFA members.

"Meanwhile, members of the machinists' union, which usually handles tasks like baggage handling and customer service, took on the task of cleaning Northwest's cabins between flights at its hubs here and in Minneapolis, a job that was previously done by the mechanics' union.

Steve Gordon, president of the machinists' union local here, said he did not enjoy crossing another union's picket line. But Mr. Gordon, whose union used to represent mechanics until AMFA won an organizing drive in 1999, said he preferred to see his workers taking on the mechanics' old tasks, instead of having Northwest hire outside contractors.

"I'm going to make sure my members have a chance to get that work," Mr. Gordon said".

So the IAM at NWA does promote scabbing and strike breaking. So, should it ever be the IAM on strike, they will be unable to call people who cross scabs, since they themselves have engaged in similar beahviour.

Sad to see one union stabbing another in the back in such an apparent way. AMFA has made a choice and while one can argue the merits of that choice back and forth, for the IAM to do struck work is simply wrong!

With "friends" like these.........................

"Meanwhile, members of the machinists' union, which usually handles tasks like baggage handling and customer service, took on the task of cleaning Northwest's cabins between flights at its hubs here and in Minneapolis, a job that was previously done by the mechanics' union.

Steve Gordon, president of the machinists' union local here, said he did not enjoy crossing another union's picket line. But Mr. Gordon, whose union used to represent mechanics until AMFA won an organizing drive in 1999, said he preferred to see his workers taking on the mechanics' old tasks, instead of having Northwest hire outside contractors.

"I'm going to make sure my members have a chance to get that work," Mr. Gordon said".

http://nytimes.com/2005/08/22/business/22n...artner=homepage

BottomFeeder said:
Hey Guys,

Thanks and Good Luck
[post="290590"][/post]​

Now on the Usairways forum 700UW is saying the cleaning of the aircraft is not struck work since the IAM had a contract to clean. Could someone please set the record straight.

Which jobs do the AMFA have contracts for? What jobs do the IAM have contracts for?

BottomFeeder said:
Now on the Usairways forum 700UW is saying the cleaning of the aircraft is not struck work since the IAM had a contract to clean. Could someone please set the record straight.

Which jobs do the AMFA have contracts for? What jobs do the IAM have contracts for?
[post="290801"][/post]​

The tasks were in both contracts but divided up according to stations. The stations that were staffed by AMFA Mechanics or Cleaners performed that work...i.e. DTW, MSP, etc. This work is AMFA's work per the contract at those stations. The IAM is showing their true colors as nothing more than a tool for big business by scabbing this work. It's no wonder why the Mechanics bailed out almost 7 years ago.

AMFAMAN said:
If the work was performed by AMFA members on Friday at an AMFA staffed station and now is performed by the IAM, they are SCABS. No way around it, mark them scabs for life. :down: :down:
[post="290642"][/post]​
you voluntarily threw away your contract.its fair game from now on.....nwa is free to impose.

AMFAMAN said:
The tasks were in both contracts but divided up according to stations. The stations that were staffed by AMFA Mechanics or Cleaners performed that work...i.e. DTW, MSP, etc. This work is AMFA's work per the contract at those stations.
[post="290804"][/post]​

The minute y'all walked off the job and management imposed the new contract, those stations were no longer staffed by AMFA mechanics or cleaners....

Thus is the danger of having the same work in two separate contracts....

delldude said:
you voluntarily threw away your contract.its fair game from now on.....nwa is free to impose.
[post="290806"][/post]​

Thats true nwa is free to impose, but is the IAM free to scab and still call themselves a union? :( :(

jetmechline said:

Thats true nwa is free to impose, but is the IAM free to scab and still call themselves a union? :(  :(
[post="290820"][/post]​

Yes they are free to scab, but on the second part, I would say NO. Of course, now one should be able to cross a IAM picketline without retribution!