ISP-DCA Gone! Shame

Art at ISP

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Dix Hills NY
www.ffocus.org
I noticed last night that ISP-DCA is finally over....I think I took the last morning flight on Tuesday. Too bad, it did seem profitable judging by the loads and high average fares.

That said, I thought they had re-applied for this route, and are waiting approval to start again--does anyone know anything more about this?

My kid is sure going to miss it--home in an hour....her mom will miss it too :)

Who cares it's a marginal USAIR express route. The numbers guys for Parker and Kirby in network planning always make the right calls, this flying must not be profitable.

Josh

737823 said:
Who cares it's a marginal USAIR express route. The numbers guys for Parker and Kirby in network planning always make the right calls, this flying must not be profitable.

Josh
6852991_f520.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
Thank the DOJ
the route would still be there if US didn't have the urge to merge.

Just wait til we see how profitable their DCA hub is after 4 dozen low cost carrier flights move in.

US did play nicely into the DOJ's hands in providing a whole lot more seats at DCA; you do realize that the average aircraft size at DCA was the smallest of any hub of its size in the US?

Art,
how does this effect your travel plans now? what is plan B?

the route may have been a good idea but it represented an underused asset (a 50 seat RJ) in a market which the DOJ believed could be better used by a low fare carrier that would fly a minimum of twice that number of seats since none of the carriers that won the slot uses planes that small.

I'm not going to feed the trolls here...it was a legitimate question. 

The DOT didn't force this route out, DP did, by choosing this as a route to let go, which is counter intuitive. The flight was always heavily booked, and the fares were certainly high enough to sustain it as profitable, despite the higher CASM of running the lawn dart on it. 

My understanding is that they have applied to bring it back 2x daily, I just hope it happens.

Regarding plans, I don't usually fly to DC, but my daughter comes home on that flight. We now revert to Amtrak and the Long Island Rail Road...which we did before this flight was begun...

ISP is a jewel in the rough--but its proximity to JFK and LGA kills it. WN is cutting back because they  started up here ONLY because at the time they couldn't get into LGA..now that they're there they are down to a fraction of their former schedule. The airport CAN support service to ORD, CLT or MIA, if marketed properly--I'd say with a 170 or a 700....but I doubt that will happen. Delta was here for many years--ATL,CVG, and Delta Express to Florida.....but I think the hub flying in CRJ's made the costs prohibitive.

They had to cut routes to meet the DOJ requirements - the implication that Doug specifically eliminated this route just does not ring true -  this is how the process went:

someone in route planning not Doug - did a forced rank of profitability of routes including all kinds of factors - created a powerpoint presentation with the information - presented it to the committee overeasing the DOJ compliance - the committee probabaly tweaked the recommendations a bit - then it was approved - which I'm sure Doug or Scott, etc were on the committee overseeing compliance

Remember just because a plane is full does not mean it's profitable

If you remember US wanted to fight to keep the DCA it was AA that was pushing to settle - you had many individuals in congress, etc wanting US to keep the routes, etc

Since they have since reapplied for this route my guess is it was close to the line and they had to draw the line somewhere and since it was first up for application it was the first station under the line

Reactions: 1 person

Latest posts