ISP-DCA Gone! Shame

JCW,

I am aware that full flights are not necessarily profitable, however, the fares on this route were high enough for the route to support itself profitably. I am also aware more or less of the process, and I was using DP figuratively, as he rarely can see above a spreadsheet....

That said, I do hope they successfully get it back, and that they consider further expansion at ISP. Thanks for your thoughtful and informative post. 

WorldTraveler said:
source?

source?
you post so much DL is the premier airline no one can come close - you must not remember your posts - you asked for a source - which makes no sense if you would have got the sarcasim

Reactions: 4 people
omg - you don't get it you were asking about the source of ISP becoming a hub - not Art's answer - that was a separate post

Reactions: 1 person
Art at ISP said:
I'm not going to feed the trolls here...it was a legitimate question. 

The DOT didn't force this route out, DP did, by choosing this as a route to let go, which is counter intuitive. The flight was always heavily booked, and the fares were certainly high enough to sustain it as profitable, despite the higher CASM of running the lawn dart on it. 

My understanding is that they have applied to bring it back 2x daily, I just hope it happens.

Regarding plans, I don't usually fly to DC, but my daughter comes home on that flight. We now revert to Amtrak and the Long Island Rail Road...which we did before this flight was begun...

ISP is a jewel in the rough--but its proximity to JFK and LGA kills it. WN is cutting back because they  started up here ONLY because at the time they couldn't get into LGA..now that they're there they are down to a fraction of their former schedule. The airport CAN support service to ORD, CLT or MIA, if marketed properly--I'd say with a 170 or a 700....but I doubt that will happen. Delta was here for many years--ATL,CVG, and Delta Express to Florida.....but I think the hub flying in CRJ's made the costs prohibitive.
The majority of the passengers were connecting in DCA, and not particularly high yielding. With the reduction in DCA slots, US/AA is cutting the routes that had the most connections and focusing on the higher yielding routes. 

As for ISP being a "jewel", you couldn't be more wrong. It's also an extremely price sensitive market.

Reactions: 2 people
I respectfully disagree with Cynic. Based on my experiences, there was quite a bit of O&D traffic besides my family on that route. I'm not an expert and don't know the exact numbers, but I'd say there is some value to the route when they did re-apply to serve it again. I hope it goes through, perhaps with a 170!

And ISP could be very well utilized and profitable if properly marketed. One of the main issues is the town of Islip has no clue how to operate and market it, with its proximity to NYC. HPN seems to do okay, perhaps they could learn something there. 

Art at ISP said:
I respectfully disagree with Cynic. Based on my experiences, there was quite a bit of O&D traffic besides my family on that route. I'm not an expert and don't know the exact numbers, but I'd say there is some value to the route when they did re-apply to serve it again. I hope it goes through, perhaps with a 170!

And ISP could be very well utilized and profitable if properly marketed. One of the main issues is the town of Islip has no clue how to operate and market it, with its proximity to NYC. HPN seems to do okay, perhaps they could learn something there. 
Your anecdotal experience does not match up with the numbers. US/AA could operate the route if they wanted to use their existing DCA slots, but they do not. They have applied for new slots to operate the flight.The fact that US had to divest so many slots to get merger approval makes it unlikely that they will win the new slots. 

Well it does seem US/AA is taking another look at cities that were canceled, looks like this is a shot right at UBER DL.

DTW/DCA was previously announced as a casualty of AA/US's mandate to relinquish slots at DCA; the route's scheduled to end effective August 18 but has quietly been reinstated beginning November 6. It will operate 4x daily during the work week (2xCRJ, 2xE70).