JetBlue,TV & AA

So why not ask Roger, sure he will tell you, then you can tell us. Deal?

As for the subject of landing fees, why don't you bring that to the attention of AMR's legal department, then they can have another lawsuit and we can all read it in the news.

I would also believe, that such information is in public domain, so tell me where I can go find it or better yet, post it here!

As far as pay, I see no need to tell you, after all, you keep implying you know. You can inquire with jetBlue, perhaps they can see a need for you to have it!

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 1/5/2003 7:04:39 PM Steiner wrote:
[P]Is a profit sharing system really desirable in a safety sensitive industry? It could lead to cutting corners, such as carrying maintenance issues for operational expedience.[/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P][/P]Has it impacted the safety of Southwest these past 30 years?

The TWU did not get the mechanics their raise.
The mechanics at NWA negotiated this wage increase for the industry. BTW, not all AA mechanics are making topped wages. AA still has the lowest average wage in the industry for the mechanics.

Is a profit sharing system really desirable in a safety sensitive industry? It could lead to cutting corners, such as carrying maintenance issues for operational expedience.

But then Hopeful, tell us all, how much we make at jetBlue. You insinuated it was low, so tell us the numbers.

I am not being defensive, nor coy. You keep implying you know people, then by gosh, ask them. That is, if they care to tell you.

I have previosuly said, in another thread, that what I make, is between me, the company and the taxman.

I am still curious though, why the attitude towards jetBlue?

KCFLYER: I find it interesting that since JetBlue execs make about half of what execs at American make, then why would they pay all their employees what their counterparts at the majors pay. Isn't salary a main factor when determining the cost of running a company?

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/5/2003 7:21:19 PM KCFlyer wrote:

[BLOCKQUOTE]
----------------
On 1/5/2003 7:04:39 PM Steiner wrote:

Is a profit sharing system really desirable in a safety sensitive industry? It could lead to cutting corners, such as carrying maintenance issues for operational expedience.[/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]

[/P]Has it impacted the safety of Southwest these past 30 years?
----------------
[/blockquote]

How would you know, if nothing major ever gets reported? Look at Alaska Airways and how long the problems stayed hiddened, and how quickly everything was made-nice afterwards. Southwest does seem to have some extremely reliable airplanes.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/5/2003 7:04:39 PM Steiner wrote:

Is a profit sharing system really desirable in a safety sensitive industry? It could lead to cutting corners, such as carrying maintenance issues for operational expedience.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Good question, but lets take it one further, is profit really desirable in a safety sensitive industry. Wanting to show a profit to shareholders, could lead to cutting corners.

This is a pandoras box and one that is full of questions. Is is safe, that the EPA determines where deicing is done, as opposed to what is safest. Is it safe, that local ordinance requires noise abatement procedures that are unsafe?

I am sure you can think of many other examples!

Stiener - while Southwest's fleet utilization is far above most other airlines, the bulk of their fleet is parked overnight, providing ample opportunity for maintenance items. You seem to be implying that Southwest is somehow operating with several "hidden" maintenance issues. [BR][BR]Are you saying that airlines should be not for profit entities to insure that all aircraft are airworthy? You know, SWA employees have a high regard for their employer, but bottom line, at ANY airline, the mechanics name is on the dotted line saying the plane is airworthy. If it isn't and something happens, he can face criminal charges. I don't think any LUV mechanics love their company enough to do hard time for them. Nor do I think any other airline mechanics hate their company enough to sabotage one of THEIR aircraft.

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 1/5/2003 7:58:19 PM Hopeful wrote:
[P]KCFLYER: I find it interesting that since JetBlue execs make about half of what execs at American make, then why would they pay all their employees what their counterparts at the majors pay. Isn't salary a main factor when determining the cost of running a company?[/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P][/P]It's one factor. They have to pay at least what the market will bear or they will not have any employees. If anything, you should hope that more companies were like JetBlue in compensating their executives. Their executives are underpaid when compared to the rest of the industry, yet their airline is profitable. The other execs are paid over a half a million in salary, not including bonuses, and even the bankrupt carriers pay the executives a "retention bonus". Imagine, making a million a year and getting a bonus so you don't jump ship in the middle of bankruptcy proceedings.

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 1/5/2003 7:20:01 PM KCFlyer wrote:
[P][FONT size=2]So...maybe it's possible that JetBlues employees are paid better than you think? [BR][/FONT][BR]----------------[/P][/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P]Based upon the JetBlue Airways web site job listings page ([A href="http://www.jetblue.com/workhere/ListJobs.asp"]http://www.jetblue.com/workhere/ListJobs.asp[/A]), it would appear that their flight crews are paid considerably below industry norm, Southwest included.[BR][BR]Listed below is the information applicable to the pilots and flight attendants. Keep in mind that flight crews are not paid based upon the standard forty hours workweek. They are paid only from the time that a flight is blocked out at the gate at a departure city and until it is blocked in at the arrival airport. Pilots, by federal regulations, are allowed to fly only 1,000 hours per year. Flight attendants usually fly similar number of hours and are also limited as to the number of hours which they are allowed to fly in twenty four hours and seven days periods. Even assuming that the projected average of flying time for a flight attendant is the same as a pilot's, their annual salary is barely $21,000; not exactly a living wage in the New York metropolitan area.[BR][BR][STRONG]Flight Attendants:[/STRONG][/P]
[BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"]
[P]Based at JFK or FLL. $20 per hour based on 70 hours worked per month. $30 per hour based on 70 + hours worked per month. [/P][/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P][FONT color=#6699cc][FONT color=#000000]Pilots:[/FONT][BR][BR]Salary/Benefits[/FONT][BR]The current pay system for First Officers is as follows:[/P]
[UL]
[LI]$50.96 /hr with a minimum guarantee of 70 hours per month.
[LI]$76.44 / hr for all hours flown in excess of 70 hours in that month.
[LI]Estimated annual pay based on 81 hours (projected average) per month would be $52,896.48 (plus per diem of $1.80 / hr)
[LI]Training pay is based on $2500./month (lodging is provided [EM]at company cost [/EM]during initial training) [/LI][/UL]

Okay, now we have compared jetBlue, a three year old, 36 airplane company to the majors. Then how about comparing it to our peer group, airlines like AirTran, ATA, Frontier and Spirit?

Diesel - comparisons won't matter. The problem with some of the other airline employees is that they beleive the likes of SWA, JetBlue, ATA, Airtran and Spririt are the sole reason that their companies are in the dumper today. [BR][BR]TWAnr - does the JetBlue website happen to list the number of FA's who actually LIVE in the NYC area?