Jfk-bru Service

fliboi78

Oct 29, 2003
About once a week I check the loads for this service in sabre and it isn't looking good. 25 in coach and 2 in biz?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Every trip is about the same. Will this turn into another BCN and they will cancel it last minute???????????? Also I am hearing that if we do get the service that IOR will fly it. It is a month away and we still only have 7 dutch speakers at JFK. that isn't enough for the lines. Maybe it will be flown with no reserves??

fliboi78 said:
About once a week I check the loads for this service in sabre and it isn't looking good. 25 in coach and 2 in biz?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Every trip is about the same. Will this turn into another BCN and they will cancel it last minute???????????? Also I am hearing that if we do get the service that IOR will fly it. It is a month away and we still only have 7 dutch speakers at JFK. that isn't enough for the lines. Maybe it will be flown with no reserves??
Try French, German and Dutch.......Belgium's three official languages. :)

Have one of the AA pilots on the board check their bid sheets. They should be out Monday or Tuesday if not already. Also check with the planner tomorrow, they will tell you of we are flying it. But you are right, they are so short French speakers this month on reserve at JFK, and no proffer had come out, it does look dicey.

I just checked those loads, I don't know what day you checked but most of the flights are at least 50% full and weekend flights are close to 100%.
Check NRTP for actual loads.

well i've checked again and only 3 or 4 days of the first 15 are about half full. the rest are horrible. and also for june it is worst. but i know it is still early. i just remember the exact same thing happening with bcn. the loads were moderate and AA scrapped it.

also AA only uses a dutch and a french speaker for bru. german is only spoken in extreme eastern belgium and in most towns it isn't even used, dutch is.

thanks for the insight guys

fliboi78, you are correct when you say german is spoken in extreme eastern Belgium. It is a very small percent who speak german compared to french and dutch. However, french is the language of preference in BRU the capital, not to say that dutch is not spoken here. You will also find several dialects that are spoken in some regions. ;)

fliboi78 said:
Will this turn into another BCN .........????????????
Hey What ever happened to BCN anyway? I remember the Company posted it and I never saw the flt take off! <_<

TimeOff said:
Hey What ever happened to BCN anyway? I remember the Company posted it and I never saw the flt take off! <_<
They cancelled the service before it began. Company said it was too expensive to open a new station at the that time.

BRU is on the JFK bidsheet for the pilots at least, I am sure we will get it also. They have a proffer open for 120 f/a's at JFK with 3 or 4 dutch speakers. Did anyone ever fly this before we pulled out a few years ago? Were we staying at the same hotel? (I am not mentioning the name purposely)

Kirkpatrick, You are correct. Flemish is a dialect of the Dutch language that is predominant in Flanders, the northern portion of Belgium. In the southern Walloon region, the French language is universal. Although Brussels is in Flanders, French is the dominant language.

twasilverbullet, Although German (Deutsch) may be an 'official' language in Belgium, it is only used in a small portion of Eastern Belgium that was German territory prior to WWI. People in this region may be fluent in Deutsch, but it is usually their second language.

There is a point near the German city of Aachen where one can stand and be in Germany, The Netherlands, and Belgium. In this area, many people are conversant in all three languages.

The border has changed many times in the 1200 years since Charlemagne ruled the area. Aachen was once occupied by the Dutch. It was occupied by France for 20 years in the 19th Century where it is known as Aix la Chapelle. The Belgian city of Liége is Luik in Dutch and German road signs call it Lüttich since it was once part of the German Empire. And practically all of what is now Belgium was once part of Holland.

In the 19th Century after the defeat of Napoleon, the Wallonians wanted to break from the Dutch and join France. But the winning countries objected and forced the creation of Belgium.

Back on topic: I will be a very unhappy camper if AA again abandons JFK-BRU. I have a major customer in Aachen and base myself there for European business trips. I was a regular customer until the end of AA#98/99. I will not understand why this won’t work now for AA! At one time TW and (I believe) UA also flew this route along with both AA and the current DL. - plus CO from EWR. With the 10-country expansion of the EU, why isn’t the OD traffic expanding at the HQ in BRU sufficient to support another carrier? When AA quit, the station manager told me they had more profitable destination options for the equipment. But I am sure the announcement by a LCC, calling itself something like ‘Bird’, would be operating out of EWR must have played a part. Of course that never happened.

To me, with no status and plenty of bad experience, DL is no option - nor is CO at EWR. I used to go through LHR; but after 9/11, I gave up on anything there except O&D. When the new track is open and the very high-speed trains are inaugurated, FRA may be an acceptable option. But today I find CDG to be best in spite of lousy connection times to/from the two AA flights and the Thalys trains at the airport.

I have yet to see any promotion of the BRU flights in the NYC area; but I will do my best to improve the load factors.

twasilverbullet, " I wrote above, "Flemish is a dialect of the Dutch language ....". You responded with "I must disagree with you. Flemish is not a dialect; it is a regional variety of Dutch.

You make my case! My desk Merriam-Webster's leading definition of "dialect" is "a regional variety of language distinguished by features of vocabulary, grammar and pronunciation...". Others dictionaries add the phrases "local" and "provincial".

I'm not a Dutch speaker; but I have enough reading ability in the language to translate your last post (in Dutch) to a backhanded and gratuitous suggestion that I follow your example of not discussing what I know nothing about.

Since your only quibble about my lengthy post on the historical basis for the three languages of Belgium is my use of the English word "dialect" to describe Flemish, I respectively and politely suggest you follow your own advice. :)

Otherwise, Best Wishes

Y

Latest posts