Jumpseat mess with Republic Airlines...

AAA#6

May 12, 2007
I have jumpseated twice on Republic Airlines EMB 170's with USAirways captains at the helm. Both captains were completely unprofessional to me (an AWA guy) because they are pissed at the outcome of their career and the merger. I got on the jumpseat and bit my lip. I expect bitter treatment from the captain, but the 23 year old FO with all 1000 hours TT and 6 months with Mesa before coming to Republic didn't have to be an ameoba and act like his dickhead captain. I have been with AWA long before this kid qualified for a PP license. Don't blame the jumpseater, and treat jumpseater's company with respect. This FO had no right to attack AWA or the merger or the seniority issues just because his captain was. This KID has no dog in the fight and should have acted like an ambassador extending friendship between AWA and the Republic group of pilots. If the USAirways captains and fo's at Republic Airlines want to play this game, we can easily make life tough to get on AWA aircraft. AWA aircaft are now integrating EAST. We don't just fly PHX and LAS hubs. We are in CLT, PHL, PIT, TPA etc. Trust me though this will get through the AWA ranks, because we don't need any more BS. We get enough from the EAST guys as it is, and a contract express company that represents a whole bunch of airlines doesnt' need to get involved.

cc USAirways web board

Let me be the first to apologize for the treatment you recieved at the hands of either of these pilots. I am a J4J CA at Republic, and I have had several AWA guys in my jumpseat on the east coast...surprised me...but hey...need a ride, get a ride...thats my policy. I live in PHX and work for Republic on the East coast. I use AWA regularly to get to work, sometimes requiring the JS. I have always been delt with professionally by Cactus guys...and I reciprocate accordingly. While I am junior on the seniority list at USAirways...I was before as well, so no really big change for me. I have found that there are some CEL guys at Republic who fall under the J4J program...some of these guys are great...some are not. They spent a short time at Mid-Atlantic and scored a mainline seniority number in the process. You may have had one...I don't know. We, as pilots must continue to allow the benefit of commuting to continue, and leave the politics of this business aside. If you ever need a ride from me...you got it.

I really do not understand the high level of in-fighting in the cabin.

You guys did not select the current state of affairs in aviation.

The idiots running the airlines and the so-and-so's who run the unions* are to blame. It's not your fault XYZ happened to ABC pilots and vice-versa. I am sure if you guys had your way, the airlines would pay you better, and be more understanding of the needs of in-flight crews. That is, not treating them like a commodity.

Threatening a jumpseat war because one captain who arguably has a bone to pick and one young FO who doesn't know any better seems like a smart idea. Be the bigger man in this one.

Oh blah blah blah, you're a junior west pilot, no wonder you are misinformed about Republic on the other thread. Maybe you should apply there- it would be an even quicker way to take a mainline job!