East and West pilots flying together

Status
Not open for further replies.

EastCheats

Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
I found this on another forum. Job well done!

West and East pilots fly together!!!

Thats right folks, its has happened. How do I know, you ask? Cause I was there. Let me 'splain. June 29th. Flight 64 CLT to BOS. Approx. 20 minutes into the flight, the Captain got very, very sick. It was my leg so the decision was easy. I declared a medical emergency and requested a turn back to CLT and started a descent. Fortunantly, there was an east FO commuting to BOS on the jumpseat. Seats were swapped, (I stayed in the right seat, he in the left), because the FO was on the bus, was type rated and at this point, a better resource. He sits down, straps in and says, " what do you want me to do?" I continued to fly and work the radio, he got ATIS loaded the box and a few other things I cant really remember right now. I advised ATC of the situation and asked to have a medical team standing by at the gate. Long story short, I land and taxi to the gate where the paramedics where ready and attended to the Captain. He was later taken to the hospital for a reason I'll explain later. Now, Im not telling this because Im tooting my own horn, because any of you would have done the same thing. I telling this because we have a damn good system in place to deal with these kind of things. My first concern was to get on the ground and get the Captain the medical attention he so badly needed. And do it as quick and as safe as possible. Also, I feel we have an excellent training department in place because when this kinda thing does go down, its your training that makes the difference. And this went flawlessly. The east FO was very supportive and is to be commended as well. Never once was there a power struggle. It was my plane, he knew it and did everything I had asked. Hell, we even managed to get the overweight landing checklist completed. Another person to be commended was the CLT Asst. Chief Pilot. He was waiting at the gate when we pulled in and went out of his way to make sure the captain was well taken care of. From sitting with him in the hopital to taking him back to the hotel later that night, to making sure he got on the flight home the next day.

After I got home that night I did a little research and foung this article.
http://m.yahoo.com/w....US&.lang=en-US.

Sunday after the event the Captain called me to let me know that everything went well and he was doing much better. He had mentioned eating a sandwich at the hotel, the long hotel, and it had lettuce on it. Then he mentioned that the Doctor tending to him stated that there was a sporadic Listeria outbreak in the area and most likely was the cause.

Personally, Im proud of this airlines. Yeah, I know, theres a lot to #### about, but I had alot of help that day. From the FO, to ATC, the Chief Pilots both east and west and from USAPA. I got several phone calls from key union people and they were very supportive and helpful.

Now, a little horn tooting because for the first time since the merger a west and east pilot flew together and I own that!!​

Reactions: 9 people
Personally, Im proud of this airlines. Yeah, I know, theres a lot to #### about, but I had alot of help that day. From the FO, to ATC, the Chief Pilots both east and west and from USAPA. I got several phone calls from key union people and they were very supportive and helpful.

A fine ending to an unfortunate situation. Well done guys. Ummm...a minor point within this evidently well worked and concluded scenario is... well, why even mention something/anything in these terms?: "Never once was there a power struggle. It was my plane, he knew it and did everything I had asked." Intelligence and social graces points removed for not simply and properly noting decent teamwork, and instead feeling some perverse "Big Cheese" need for offering up that sorry BS. Were I still of the FO position, or even under ANY circumstances for that matter...I can't see even imagining or at all considering such BS notions as any even conceivable "power struggle" at the time, nor afterwards, within any emergency...just the results....period. The poster leaves me some slight doubt as to what his notions would have been had it been an east Captain instead?....Would it still have been his case that "It was my plane, he knew it and did everything I had asked."? The final bit of: "Now, a little horn tooting because for the first time since the merger a west and east pilot flew together and I own that!!" doesn't give me any warm fuzzy feeling either....just sayin'....ummm..."Now, a little horn tooting.....I own that!!"....? Umm...hmmm...a fine thing that person was the only one involved then?....Were I the incapacitated Capt, or the FO...methinks it would've been far more appropriate to merely say "Thanks for the help Brother"...but...that's just me perhaps....​

No matter in this instance....Again: Nice job to all involved, and I'm glad the Captain's doing well.​

Reactions: 4 people
His use of the term "power struggle" I don't think is a real big deal. Like you, I applaud both crew members working well together. I'm sure they did not have time to discuss the seniority dispute. They just did their jobs as they were trained.

Reactions: 2 people
His use of the term "power struggle" I don't think is a real big deal. Like you, I applaud both crew members working well together. I'm sure they did not have time to discuss the seniority dispute. They just did their jobs as they were trained.

That's my thinking as well. I just find it a bit "punk-azzed" to have felt ANY need to post other than offered thanks and note that all went and ended well. "Now, a little horn tooting.....I own that!!"...and even ANY notions about such as "power struggle" fall somewhat short of doing so.

"Never once was there a power struggle. It was my plane, he knew it and did everything I had asked." reeks of some arrogant-punk mindset of one who's salivating over the thought of being instantly made captain over such as the east pilot who helped him....hardly my idea of fine CRM for any useage. If you've got another read on that...well...? Seriously; why would this person have even considered that the commuting FO would, even might, feel otherwise, when merely coming to help in any not-so-good situation?

Oh well...nothing untoward or unfortunate took place onboard at least. No reason to obsess on egotistical typing afterwards, I suppose. Good job getting the unfortunate Capt to the ground/help quickly. ;) And anyway his noting: "My first concern was to get on the ground and get the Captain the medical attention he so badly needed. And do it as quick and as safe as possible." does properly impress...Heck!..that incapacitated Captain might even be me someday! Assuming my "secret identity" on these boards didn't preclude it...I'd hope for that same consideration! ;)

How many easties have said that it's impossible for east and west pilots to share the same cockpit??? Seems that they may be wrong...as usual...

Jim

Reactions: 5 people
I read the lack of power struggle bit as a compliment to the East guy for coming in and being a team guy. Given some of the things we've all seen there, it's not something that everyone would expect. Glad to hear that everything worked out well and everyone is safe and sound today.

Reactions: 3 people
"Never once was there a power struggle. It was my plane, he knew it and did everything I had asked." reeks of some arrogant-punk mindset of one who's salivating over the thought of being instantly made captain over such as the east pilot who helped him....hardly my idea of fine CRM for any useage. If you've got another read on that...well...? Seriously; why would this person have even considered that the commuting FO would, even might, feel otherwise, when merely coming to help in any not-so-good situation?
what does that tell you about the reputation the east pilots have created? That it would even be a consideration that in a situation like that an east pilot might cause conflict.

That the east has refused to share or act fairly during this time that the first chance you get east pilots would demand to be in charge or take authority. That is not a question with pilots from other airlines but with east pilots it is.

That it would even be a consideration that in a situation like that an east pilot might cause conflict.

Umm...it was a west pilot posting. No matter obviously, at least for the purpose of your pathetic agenda. Sigh!..Ok, fine then. Since, in your estimation; "an east pilot might cause conflict"...? Well, let's just continue to keep the groups seperate.

what does that tell you about the reputation the east pilots have created? That it would even be a consideration that in a situation like that an east pilot might cause conflict.

That the east has refused to share or act fairly during this time that the first chance you get east pilots would demand to be in charge or take authority. That is not a question with pilots from other airlines but with east pilots it is.

Glad it was a good outcome but to imply that it was an East v. West thing and by golly we can work together is akin to being in a fox hole.. with the enemy over the hill with real bullets....to imply that this feel good story would apply to regular line ops is comparing apples to typewriters....complete BS. So go ahead NicnotforUs...spin away!!!

NICDOA
NPJB

Reactions: 3 people
In the end, the flight did end up cancelling and stranding 150 pax because a replacement crew could not be utilised because of east crews not being able to fly west metal

In the end, the flight did end up cancelling and stranding 150 pax because a replacement crew could not be utilised because of east crews not being able to fly west metal

So the bottom line is Parker has still not completed the merger he started in 2005. He is incapable of merging again. Unbelievable this is held up as a great thing, when it is a testimony to the un merge. Good job by individuals. Extremely telling of the larger situation. Parker cannot be allowed to buy AA.

So the bottom line is Parker has still not completed the merger he started in 2005. He is incapable of merging again. Unbelievable this is held up as a great thing, when it is a testimony to the un merge. Good job by individuals. Extremely telling of the larger situation. Parker cannot be allowed to buy AA.
AMEN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts